NEurope
Dante

Zune HD To Be Shown In June

Microsoft has a new twitter account in support of its Office 2010 product launch. What's strange though, is that the people behind the account seem to care more about the future of the Zune than Office. Two tweets (of five) from this account have caught our attention. The first says,

June 2009 will be an important month for Zune lovers.

Then as a followup to the barrage of questions received, @officethemovie adds,

New product launch, that's all I'm allowed to say. Hold off from buying an iPhone/Pre.

Naturally, we're expecting the launch of the Zune HD and/or the unveiling of project Pink. Whatever happens, the month of June is going to be historic with Apple's WWDC scheduled to kick off on June 8th and the Palm Pre rumored for release on June 5th or June 7th.

Update: It's worth mentioning that the big E3 gaming expo kicks off on June 2nd (press events on the 1st) -- could be important if there's any truth to the new Zune HD supporting some form of Xbox game integration.

www.engadget.com

Hold off buying an iPhone/Pre? Interesting, infers that they're releasing a Zune phone :D

zune-hd-600-rm-eng12.jpg

www.engadget.com

That's right folks, the Zune HD is real, and it's coming this Fall. Microsoft officially announced the next iteration in their Zune line today, making it less of a tripped out pipe dream, and more of a totally tubular reality. The specs, which look exactly like that leak we saw, go like this: 3.3-inch, 480 x 272 OLED capacitive touchscreen display, built-in HD Radio receiver, HD output (utilizing a new dock -- not on-board), and... not much more right now. Microsoft is doing away with the famed squircle in favor a full multitouch device, and they seemed to indicate that some new touch-friendly apps and games would be headed our way, though they were fairly mum when it came to details. The device will boast an IE-based, customized browser, but little else was said in the way of software.

Details are also scarce concerning storage capacities, CPU performance, and other crucial numbers, but it seems like they've got more in store come E3... and that's the next big piece of news. Zune integration is coming to the Xbox and Xbox Live, as the Zune marketplace will step in to replace the current Live video resources, expanding the library and offering all kinds of new perks, like Zune's first foray into international waters. According to the company, at E3 "attendees will see first-hand how Zune integrates into Xbox LIVE creating a game-changing entertainment experience" -- we're not entirely sure what the means right now, but it sounds sweet. Try to contain your excitement.

kotaku.com

Speaking with The Guardian, Microsoft's Chris Stevenson has announced that the Zune Marketplace - and everything available on it - is to be made available to Xbox 360 owners.

The move is part of a growing effort by Microsoft to bring their two "entertainment" devices closer together, and is one which will no doubt heighten speculation that the upcoming ZuneHD, also confirmed by Stevenson (due out in the US this fall), will be a bit more serious as a gaming device.

Making the Zune marketplace available to Xbox Live users means that all the store's content - from music to TV shows to other video content - can now be purchased by Xbox 360 users, with no need for a Zune. It's basically like opening up the Apple Store on the console, except...not quite as good.

Users will be able to stream, rent and download content from the store when it opens in "late autumn" (so late fall), with a variety of pricing and ownership options available.

The catch: the Zune marketplace on 360 won't be available globally. Only the US, Britain, France, Italy, Germany, Ireland & Spain will have access to it, so Canadians, Australians and anyone else reading this not on that list, sorry.

We'd expect the finer details of this move to be announced at E3 next week.

Edited by Dante

I wonder if Microsoft will remember to release it over here...

Doesn't look half bad though.

Compared to the new Sony Walkman hardware its even more uninteresting. The UI looks placeholder. Maybe e3 will have more news on it. Sounds like any other touchcreen mp3 player just with term HD being abused much like HTC.

What's Sony Walkman hardware even like? I honestly can't remember the last time Sony was relevant in terms of music players. Or phones... or... a lot of things.

What's Sony Walkman hardware even like? I honestly can't remember the last time Sony was relevant in terms of music players. Or phones... or... a lot of things.

New Walkman are not bad as music players, compared to this its favourable. Other than xbox live integration i dont see this attracting alot of non 360/MS fans.

Lets see whats in store at e3. I still am interested in the Tegra chip but if its just for 720p video output then its abit of a waste. Unless they have a handheld planned :P

Edited by Choze

That device looks horrible, not saying it wont be good but boy it has a ugly shape.

Yahoo hands on.

t8rz8g.jpg

2wr3rls.jpg

b694iv.jpg

CNET Hands On

• Video content purchased (or rented) through your Xbox can also be downloaded and transferred to your Zune by checking for them in your Zune Marketplace purchase history

• Zune's coolest music trick, though, is that it automatically pulls in a gallery of band photos, biographical info, and similar artist recommendations for any currently playing song--regardless of whether the track is from Zune Marketplace or your friend's hard drive or torrents

• Zune's new Web browser smokes. Not since first using the iPhone have I been this impressed with a mobile web browser...Page load was snappy, and pinching and reorienting pages work just like the iPhone and iPod Touch. You also get a fast on-screen keyboard with a nice little magnifier effect with each keystroke.

I'm really loving the new Zune. I already have an iPhone so I'm probably less likely to get one (especially seeing as my current one is fine) but this is very tempting. How does the web browser work in terms of connecting? Is it just wifi?

Actually thinking about it it doesn't really matter for me. I'd just pull out my iPhone which has all my bookmarks, etc, and apps that can quickly take down info. Really I think the biggest thing for me will be if they release this properly in the UK with the music service... also the games. It'll be nice programming for a touch device (that doesn't require me buying a license).

I was really considering the Samsung P3 way back but the lack of web browser which was becoming a staple thing among pmp at the time was a bit annoying. I'm looking to pick this up. Although the way Microsoft has been pimping silverlight we may have to consider that flash won't be supported (Unless already stated) and that means no Iplayer :(

Edited by Ten10
School boy error

Is it a phone?

Nope, the Wikipedia reference-linkZune is a portable media player and it is the first time the Zune is being sell over seas from US.

Zune HD comes out in September at $220 for 16GB and $290 for 32GB.

I'm really loving the new Zune. I already have an iPhone so I'm probably less likely to get one (especially seeing as my current one is fine) but this is very tempting. How does the web browser work in terms of connecting? Is it just wifi?

Actually thinking about it it doesn't really matter for me. I'd just pull out my iPhone which has all my bookmarks, etc, and apps that can quickly take down info. Really I think the biggest thing for me will be if they release this properly in the UK with the music service... also the games. It'll be nice programming for a touch device (that doesn't require me buying a license).

It is Zune-to-Zune, sync with computer and Wi-Fi.

I think Rez was talking about the above posters Samsung device. Rez and myself actually have Zunes.

*gives Rez a cool "We're awesome" look*

The screen on my iPod 5G is gradually deteriorating due to a gash of dead pixels that suddenly appeared one day and has, for some reason, started to spread. Is there any word on when the Zune HD might make it to these shores? I don't know whether I'd buy one for sure — depends on the price and whether the Zune Pass system arrives unscathed — but it certainly looks like a nice bit of kit. In fact here's a little video:

Incidentally, what's the PC software like in comparison to, say, iTunes? Is it decent for managing podcasts?

I've got on a lot better with the Zune software than iTunes (on Windows or Mac).

Looks really good (I want it just for the OLED display alone) and that it's pretty cheap compared to the competition. If this thing takes off it will be great for gaming too, being such a powerful product with that kind of input, will certainly enable lots of great games.

I think Rez was talking about the above posters Samsung device.

Well if it is @ me

Is it a phone?

Nah its a pmp. But lack of web browser killed it for me. Although if the rumours about the p4 version are true I may hold off the zune and wait for that instead.

I think Rez was talking about the above posters Samsung device. Rez and myself actually have Zunes.

*gives Rez a cool "We're awesome" look*

*Glances up catching Wesleys look and nods, smugly and surely*