NEurope
Caris

So, Nintendo have pretty much confirmed the Wii is dead.

With Nintnedo giving confirmation that Project Café is indeed real, they have also pretty much also said that the Wii is dead.

At the end of the day the Wii has been lacking 3rd party support for sometime and now that the next generation Nintendo home console is due to be released next year they are going to be very, very few developers make quality Wii games when they could just make a game for Café instead.

We've already heard rumours that Retro, Rockstar among others are making games for Café and even that some first party Nintendo games like Pikmin have been moved over. With all this in mind, they will probably only be a few good quality titles left on the Wii such as Skyward Sword.

The point of this thread is just to see how people feel about it all, it has sort of just came out of the blue and I've been thinking a lot about it today and it really has shocked me that we're here again already, preparing for the next generation. (I'll save the "how quick is life going past?" thread for the general board haha).

Discuss!

Ive said it elsewhere but im glad Nintendo's dev teams are gonna finally have some competent hardware to work with. I think the software will outshine any flack i have may or may not have with the controller

yes and with the console not coming until next year its going to be a slow and painful death I fear which is crazy for a console with such high sales numbers and mass penetration. Compare it to how well Sony supported the PS2 and for how long. I think tis a mistake to cut and run and its not a decision I expected Nintendo to do but with the relative shutdown in DS game releases makes me think otherwise.

Not at all, at least not for one (very large) section of their audience. Nintendo can keep the Wii chugging along nicely for another couple of years if they keep bringing their more casual titles to the system. Hardly any casual gamers are even going to be aware of a Wii successor until it's actually on the shelves, giving Nintendo at least another 18 months as a viable low-level entry system. Think of the life span of the PS and PS2; Wii could comfortably carry on selling bucketloads in the same way.

On the hardcore side, Nintendo still has a lot of stuff to offer: Zelda, Xenoblade, Last Story and DQ X, and not forgetting any surprises on the VC (earthbound please...). I've got far too many games to complete anyway so I'm in no rush for Wii 2. We still don't know what is going to be revealed for Wii yet either.

Nintendo probably would have kept it all under wraps till E3 had developers not leaked details, and if Nintendo's finacial forecasts hadn't taken a tumble (they need to keep shareholders' minds off diminishing Wii/DS income).

Edited by daftada

I don't really care. Got rid of my Wii a while ago and have not missed it. The other platforms (including the DS) have a lot more to offer me and I think that the Store was pretty overpriced.

I'm pretty disappointed with the games from Nintendo this gen tbh, that's why their platforms need the 3rd party support.

As far as I'm concerned, the Wii is nowhere near dead and has been a complete delight since it got released in December 2006 :hehe:

There may not be many big games left to appear on the console (that we're aware of) but I've expressed in previous threads how many great games there are for it already and how the library is horribly underrated. I'll no doubt still be getting plenty out of the Wii years from now in the same way I still love playing my SNES, N64, GC, PS1, PS2, DC, GBA and DS..

Let's at least wait until E3 to call time on the Wii. It wasn't long ago that Reggie said we'll be seeing some decent content for it after E3!

To say it's dead is just silly at this point. I find it daft that some say "it doesn't have 3rd party support", because it actually does. The Wii is one of my all time favourite consoles, Nintendo games are always top-notch and there have been some absolute gems of 3rd party games that these people just seem to ignore.

I haven't played my 360 in over a year (I've even let my bro have my hard-drive) and still haven't been tempted to buy a PS3 as the exclusive games just don't do it for me (even though I have played the likes of Uncharted 1&2, Killzone 2, Infamous and God of War 3).

The Wii simply keeps me far too busy to care for the other consoles. It's far from dead yet!

Edited by Kav

Tbh the Wii has kept my interest longer than both the PS3 and the 360's software. I bought a PS3 for GTA IV and loved it initially and it was great to have the media facilities that the PS3 affords. Online gaming was also cool but other than LBP, Heavy Rain and Uncharted 1/2 alongside FIFA's re-birth, the console hasn't really appealed to me as much as I had imagined. Even move was a bit 'seen it' and nothing seemed to compare to the Wii Sports titles for sheer 'sheen'. I love the 3D games yet future support is hit and miss and the 3DS has stolen some of that thunder.

The Wii may have cooled off yet Eastern third parties like Capcom, Konami have slightly dissapointed me on Wii (even if capcom have paid some lip service to Wii) and the mantra of western developers being tech-focused continues to frustrate.

We will see if the new console offers anything substantial yet I'm using the 3DS as a yard stick to see how Nintendo's 3rd party relationships and online features develop. Hopefully this little tech marvel will prove that a new Nintendo home console is going to be supported by the bigger western developers (who seem to have overtaken their eastern counterparts in recent years).

Also, have loved the Wii yet it has amazed and frustrated in equal measure.

Edited by tapedeck

I've got Skyward Sword, Xenoblade and The Last Story to purchase still. I'm sorted.

With Nintnedo giving confirmation that Project Café is indeed real, they have also pretty much also said that the Wii is dead.

Buh? I haven't heard this story closely, but why would a company admit their own flagship console is "dead"?

And I highly doubt it is dead. Sonic Colours, Epic Mickey and De Blob 2 came out recently, there are tons of Nintendo games I have yet to play (including Donkey Kong Country Returns, released recently), and there are hidden gems (both 1st and 3rd party, like Fragile Dreams and Wario Land) that I still want to play.

When Wii2 is revealed, I'll be still catching up on all those Wii games.

Also, they still need to release Xenoblade, Last Story, Pandora's Tower, and (of course) the best-selling Dragon Quest and Zelda. Dead it ain't.

It's pretty much dead yes.. I hope they bury it and move on.

And in retrospect. Goodbye to my LEAST favourite Nintendo console EVER! I cannot believe such a high-profile system never took off the ground third party-wise. I know nintendo got all excited about their new audience, but How many times did fans have to remind them that it was all short-term success.

Right off the bat with the friend-code system, we should have known where the loyalties lied. I'm all for casual titles provided there is a decent mix of AAA first party and third party support like on the DS... and simply put with the Wii the situation was more grime than the gamecube..

The Wii is a very mixed bag. I don't want to start any arguments, because these are my feelings really.

I've got Skyward Sword, Xenoblade and The Last Story to purchase still. I'm sorted.

You don't think Nintendo will do a Twilight Princess on Skyward Sword and delay it a year?

Actually, the SS engine is basically from the gamecube, so that's unlikely I suppose.

Let's at least wait until E3 to call time on the Wii. It wasn't long ago that Reggie said we'll be seeing some decent content for it after E3!

Even if they show loads of content at E3, they don't normally start coming out until the end of the year so we've got a period of Wii Play Motion and... not much else.

Looking at the coming soon list on GAME, there's basically nothing on there I'm interested in not including Zelda, and there's only 1 maybe 2 high-ish profile games on there.

Here's a few of my release date predictions:

Xenoblade/Last Story will be out between July and October. I think we'll get Xenoblade first while the US gets Last Story then the opposite game will come out later. Not sure if it'll be within the same time frame though.

Zelda will most likely be out November/December. I think a 9th December release would be good to tie in with the Wii's 5th birthday.

We won't see Pandora's Tower before Christmas, I have a feeling it's fate depends on the sales of Xenoblade and Last Story.

Japan might get Dragon Quest X this year but we won't see it for a long time unless Nintendo/Square Enix speed up localisation.

Anything revealed at E3 will most likely not be released until the Christmas period.

Of course I have a massive backlog to go through but it's disappointing to see so little new stuff on the horizon.

The Wii isnt dead or not till E3....and that depends not on the new hardware, but rather how much attention the old one gets.

Specificaly also; how much gets ported to the west.

there are tons of Nintendo games I have yet to play (including Donkey Kong Country Returns, released recently), and there are hidden gems (both 1st and 3rd party, like Cursed Mountine and Wario Land)

*fixed* :P

(seriously, I know I'm just one person, but Fragile was my all time biggest gaming dissapointment)

Personaly I also have lots still to get/play (Kirbys Epic Yarn,Galaxy2)....little jealous of people with the time to use up all a systems great games.

I'm really excited to see what use they put Retro Studios to with the advent of the new hardware. Genuinely one of the most talented studio's Nintendo have under their wing.

I feel that in today's day and age far too much great games are being developed.

Hence me focusing only on the NINTENDO side of things (+ third parties etc..).

I do kind of miss some other interesting franchises on other consoles, but I am more than happy with what I'm doing now: supporting NINTENDO's handhelds and home consoles.

I couldn't care less wether the Wii is 'dead' or not.

All I know is that I have a vast backlog, and not enough time to play through it all.

If it were up to me, the industry would be forced to take a chill pil and stop making games for about a year or so:laughing:

I'm hyped for the E3, hyped for all that will come :D

Ultimately, a home console which opened its arms to Little King's Story cannot really kick the bucket.

I'm personally looking forward to the following:

• Rhythm Paradise Wii (with multiplayer:D)
  • The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
  • Something, something, I suppose....

For me, Wii has been dead a long time. It was utterly balls to cut back on technology with the Wii, and worse still to make online about as useable as a tramp's chequebook. I like Nintendo's games, so here's hoping this comes out soon and sorts out the issues Wii had.

*fixed* :P

(seriously, I know I'm just one person, but Fragile was my all time biggest gaming dissapointment)

I haven't actually played Fragile Dreams, I just mentioned a somewhat undernoticed game that I still want to play.

For me, Wii has been dead a long time. It was utterly balls to cut back on technology with the Wii, and worse still to make online about as useable as a tramp's chequebook. I like Nintendo's games, so here's hoping this comes out soon and sorts out the issues Wii had.

This.

I held the Gamecube in such high esteem, I thought the Wii would be great and it was for about a year. Then I've barely played it since. I can't put my finger on why I just can't get on with it. But I've got a stack of games unfinished, Fire Emblem and Mario Galaxy being the two that upset me most.

Motion controls should have been so much more than just tacked on waggles.

I held the Gamecube in such high esteem

I still do, also the Gamecube had more online presence for me despite only really having two games that I played online - PSO ep1&2 plus ep 3 - the Wii has more online enabled games yes but I have had little to no desire to play any of them thanks to the backward Friend Code system that aims to keep us all 'safe' and 'secure' at the cost of the online system being basically rubbish.

The Wii for me has always been about the single player games, my biggest hope for project Cafe? to bring us the first console port/version of PSO2... knowing that will probably never happen hopefully we can at least look forward to a refined online system with no effing friend codes!

I think the Wii's game catalog gets a bad rep because of third party shovel ware. I think Nintendo's own output has been better than it was with the GC. I bought more first party content for my Wii than I did GC where most of my games were SEGA made.

The Galaxy's make Sunshine look awful. Double Dash!! was a joke from the get go and Wii was a massive improvement. I wasn't a fan of Melee thanks to too many physics based changes from the original that felt restored in Brawl. It also had an online mode that whilst not ideal, saw a huge amount of play from me with guys from here - it's why I signed up here in the first place.

The Wii hasn't had a Zelda of it's own so that's not fare to compare as such but I still think TP is a better game than Wind Waker. Fire Emblem, whilst looking identical (read: still crap) was improved from a gameplay perspective even if the character development suffered under the sheer number of them.

Prime 3 could never have the impact of the first game but it was still a great ride and better than Echoes and eventually gave us Trilogy. There was also Other M that whilst feeling less Metroidy than Prime, still offered a fun experience. And then Retro went on to make DKCR which I think is a decent game even if it does things from the original trilogy a bit too differently at times. Jungle beat with it's controls and score based level system never appealed to me so I was glad for a more traditional game featuring the big ape.

It's a shame that there hasn't fresh entries in some of Nintendo's other staple franchises (F-Zero, Wave Race, 1080, Pikmin to name a couple) but where there is a direct comparison to a GC rendition, the Wii more than holds it own in my book.

Come backs for Sin & Punishment and Punch Out!! was also a nice treat for fans. They may not have sold loads, but they were still good games.

And third party games, when done properly, have been really impressive too and generally exclusive to the console as well. They may have subsequently moved on to other consoles at times (NMH and Dead Space) but the devs wouldn't have even bothered with that if they were rubbish games.

Holding back on the tech specs for the Wii was a mistake because it kept quality third party support to a minimum. They didn't even have to make it HD - just a faster main processor and a more system memory could have seen big jump in attempts to convert HD games for the system.

There's basically two factions. The one half who feel let down by the Wii, and are enjoying their other consoles. Or, the other half who are happy with the Wii and believe that it is still alive and kicking.

I'm with the second half. Maybe my tastes have changed over the years, but I'm enjoying this generation very much. It has also helped me rediscover my love for platforming games. For every Cube title that I've loved, there's been a Wii game that has either matched or surpassed that. Pretty much what Captain Falcon said. Wouldn't surprise me if we get to the next generation and people start to discover hidden Wii gems that they didn't spot first time around. It happened with the Cube. I don't remember there being so much love for it, at the time. Not this much anyway.

The thread title is correct though, Nintendo have outright said the Wii has lost it's ability to surprise and it's effectivelt falling too far behind it competitors in terms of being able to provide Third Parties the hardware they want and now a great percentage of the public expect.

Sure the Wii still has a few games to come, but we literally only know about a handfull of games, half of which have been released already and we just happen to be getting late.

But I've enjoyed the Wii, and whilst Nintendo are now having to move on from it, I still have Goldeneye to finish, and Galaxy 2, Sonic Colours, DKCR and Other M sitting there waiting for me to play! :D

The Wii hasn't had a Zelda of it's own so that's not fare to compare as such but I still think TP is a better game than Wind Waker. Fire Emblem, whilst looking identical (read: still crap) was improved from a gameplay perspective even if the character development suffered under the sheer number of them.

Your wall of text lost credibility here. Both games on the GCN were better than their Wii sequels.

I think it's ridiculous that people are writing Wii's obituary before Zelda: Skyward Sword, The Last Story, Xenoblade etc. have been released. With the Wii successor not launching until mid-2012 at the earliest, I'm sure Nintendo has one or two games up their sleeve at E3 as well.

With outdated graphics and online being the big complaints in its present, Wii will surely be better regarded in retrospect 5-10 years from now.