NEurope
Hero-of-Time

Civil War ( Final Trailer Inside )

Supposed to be seeing this on Friday evening after a week of hardcore revision, BUT...

My local Odeon STILL HAS NOT PUT UP ANY TIMES WITH VIP SEATED SCREENS (a standard we are sticking to after we fell in love with it at TFA, I mean the film probably helped but) F*** YOU ODEON

I've emailed them twice and they said they'll let me know as soon as they're up, BUT, I have a feeling I should still check daily anyhow.

Bleugh...

Why not get regular seats?

Local cinemas generally don't have any VIP seats. Personally I only care about having seats in the middle.

Why not get regular seats?

Local cinemas generally don't have any VIP seats. Personally I only care about having seats in the middle.

Ah, my Odeon does (it's still like a 40 minute walk away, but about 10 or 15 minutes in a car). And yeah, I totally care about getting seats in the middle.

But for some reason you can't book a seat unless it's VIP/Premier, and VIP>>>>>>>Premier and is what, 50p more? Odeon just blows my mind in their own little nonsensical ways.

The Vue in Cwmbran has a VIP section in the middle, which was strange to see considering the cinema wasn't that big in comparison to others i've been to. Booked tickets to go to Cineworld, snagged the last 2 middle seats (well, the 2 in the area Sophie likes to sit). I'm not normally fussed, anywhere from the middle up is fine for me.

Started warming up for Civil War, watched The First Avenger last night and plan to watch The Winter Soldier on Tuesday evening after work.

I am so hyped for this film!

But I HATE that some YTers have already put up spoiler reviews/specific videos. I mean, come on!

Don't watch those :p.

4 more hours!

I haven't been, but it's so dogged as to how some put up videos with thumbnails saying *SPOILERS*, but then the thumbnails ruin it anyway.

Enjoy, and be sure to let us know what you think!

Haha, yeah, that's pretty much me and Game of Thrones.. If I were a wise man, I'd leave the internet for a year (until I receive the Blu-rays and watch season 6).

Anyway, will do of course.

Yeah, it was alright.

I'm trolling, that was fucking awesome. Most of you probably can't remember this film, but it was similar to Batman vs Superman, except you know, done right.

Yeah, it was alright.

I'm trolling, that was fucking awesome. Most of you probably can't remember this film, but it was similar to Batman vs Superman, except you know, done right.

...only 'alright'?

EDIT: you sneaky little Ant-Man, you got me!

Serious reply, though I'll keep it short.

It's simply excellent. I have 2 minor gripes, but with the overall film being excellent they're negligible. Spider-man's introduction is forced. Objectively speaking, his introduction scene was not much better than the Batman vs Superman meta-human cameos, and I mean that. In similar fashion, Ant-man, who doesn't need an introduction, is pulled into the story in a similar ridiculous way. Both characters have no investment in the issues the other Avengers are dealing with. Unlike Batman vs Superman though, you forget all of that. Eventhough their introductions into the film are ridiculous, at least they're funny. And they're put to good use. That airport scene is just incredible. Every single character has some great action. Not a single one is neglected and forgotten, each of them has great scenes.

In general:

Great story and character development. Nice build-up. Sure there are some shortcuts, but in general everything feels right.

Awesome action. Every character gets there moment to shine, everyone has some nice action moments. Apparently, they used the directors of John Wick as 2nd unit directors to help out with the action, and it shows in my opinion. All the characters, including the 2 who were just dropped into the film, Spider-man and Antman, feel so natural in the action scenes.

In typical Marvel style, a lot of funny lines and moments. Humour is perfect. My personal favourite:

Steve Rogers and Sharon Carter kiss. Which is followed by a shot of Sam Wilson and Bucky Barnes in a car nodding their head in approvement.

Unlike Spider-man and Ant-man, and, and this is the last time I'll bring it up, unlike Wonder Woman in Batman vs Superman, Black Panther had a great introduction and was perfectly incorporated into the story. He made perfect sense.

Casting has never let me down so far in Marvel films, but that doesn't stop me from worrying in advance about certain characters. I wasn't familiar with Black Panther whatsoever, so didn't know what to think of him, but wasn't sure I wanted an actual teenager as Spider-man. My worries are put to rest: both are instantly loveable, and at this point I'm looking as much forward to Black Panther and Spider-man Homecoming, as I'm looking forward to Dr. Strange and the other films.

Although I'd have liked him to have more exposition and screentime, Daniel Brühl as Zemo was excellent, and the character is finally a great MCU badguy. More tragic than evil, and just makes sense in the story. Although I understand he's nothing like his comic counterpart, but I don't care about that.

Sharon Carter ♥♥♥. For such a minor character, she actually gets a few good scenes. The spoiler above, but she gets some action as well.

I could go into individual moments, but there are too many. Giant Ant-man, though no surprise, was a crowd pleaser for example, but there are plenty more. Ok, one other personal favourite, I loved to see Tony Stark get into some action without his suit. Well mostly without his suit. I had a great time in any case, and I'll definitely go see this a 2nd time soon.

Edited by Sméagol

Okay, so I haven't seen the film, I do so tomorrow night with my friends.

But I'm watching TWS and I've had a massive coin drop which no-one has mentioned before in any speculation, at least to the best of my knowledge.

This could be a spoiler, so

Bucky killed the Starks. When Arnim Zola is showing Cap footage from across the decades of Hydra's rise, when he mentions change being implemented by killing people off, The Winter Soldier is obviously shown. And then?

The paper about the Stark's accident comes up on screen. It makes incredible sense: it's a reason for Tony to HATE Bucky, and with his father being a key member/co-founder of S.H.I.E.L.D., it makes sense from Hydra's point of view to have him killed. I'll have to wait and see tomorrow

Bloody loved it. Will probably post more when I'm less tired, but such an enjoyable film.

If I'm to have one main criticism of it, it would be that:

Team Iron Man's actions don't really correlate with their support for the Sokovia Accords. They're for the regulation of themselves in principle, but are just as reckless at the airport and still seem like a group of vigilantes rather than a UN approved taskforce. Would've liked maybe a bit more of them having to get political approval before taking any action and then have Tony realising the frustrations of that, adding another motivation to join Cap in Siberia.

It also felt a little bit like a Part 1/set-up movie - Zemo has split the Avengers. Slightly disappointed he had no bigger motivation than that. What now?

Really interested to see what's next for Cap and his team. They're all fugitives/on the run, aren't they? As far as I'm aware none of them are in anything until Infinity War, so it looks like they'll be coming out of hiding out of necessity rather than because it's safe for them to do so.

Also, this was totally an Avengers film. It's actually probably the least stand-alone entry to the whole MCU - you need to have seen the previous Captain Americas and the Avengers.

Edited by Mr-Paul

Bloody brilliant absolutely blood brilliant @Smeagol's post echo's my thoughts on the entire film, it was great only real grip is the same but again loved it

If Zemo knew that the winter soldier killed Howard Stark and Mrs Stark (did she get named?), but since Steve knew it can be assumed it might have been something the various intellignence agencies over the years knew, equally i wonder would the black widow have known? previously they have talked of the infamous winter soldier

Interesting to see Howard perfected the super soldier serum too

Loved the black panther, loved spider-man, i think its quite simply the best avengers film and strangely puts the cap trilogy as one of the most consistently good trilogies of all time, especially for a weird mix of super hero/war/espionage films

I want to go see it again

going to echo what a lot of you said already, I loved it too. so much about the film was so well done. What I liked best was that everything that happened had consequences that effected everyone. Something I felt was missing from Age of Ultron, which I didn't like that much.

Rhodes being paralyzed leaves a much deeper impact to me then his being killed off for example and of course that impacts Stark too. That along with Stark finding out that Bucky murdered his parents, adding to his PTSD from Avengers, his guilt over Ultron and Pepper Potts leaving him means he's hit rock bottom like never before. Going to be interesting to see what they do with him now.

All prepped for Civil War, booked to see it tomorrow afternoon. First Avenger and Winter Soldier re-watched, i'm pumped now.

That's the best entry into the MCU to date, by miles upon miles upon miles.

Nothing to say, apart from that if you haven't seen this film, do yourself a favour and go see it.

And then go see it again.

I was very, very nervy about the concept of the Infinity War films a month or two ago; now I know that they couldn't be in better hands.

And, oh,

called it

If Zemo knew that the winter soldier killed Howard Stark and Mrs Stark (did she get named?), but since Steve knew it can be assumed it might have been something the various intellignence agencies over the years knew, equally i wonder would the black widow have known? previously they have talked of the infamous winter soldier

Interesting to see Howard perfected the super soldier serum too

As I mentioned above, upon rewatching TWS, we learn that The Winter Soldier killed be Starks in that car crash, in a very subtle way, which I don't think anyone took a second look at while watching that film. Hidden in plain sight but no-one picked it up, that's another way the Russos are incredible.

When Steve and Nat go down to the supercomputer containing Zola, Zola mentions them changing history, and it cuts from a photo of TWS holding a gun, I believe, to the cover of the paper which states the Starks had been killed. I believe this is when Steve found out, and considering Nat was there too, I'd guess she knew too.

And absolutely, what a way to make it come full circle

What a movie

Now that is how you do a superhero fight, sorry Batman v Superman but Civil War did it right. The airport fight was absolutely marvelous, even Spiderman had his moments.

Certainly can see how Tony hates TWS, more so how he now hates the Cap (seeing as he knew Bucky killed Howard (and Mrs Stark) from what i believe he found out about it in the bunker in Winter Soldier). I'm assuming from the end of the film that all the fugitives have been released/broken out

Overall, what a fantastic movie. I was kind of expecting Bucky to keep swapping sides between being controlled by whomever read that Soviet book and Steve Rogers.

Bring on the next ones.

As I mentioned above, upon rewatching TWS, we learn that The Winter Soldier killed be Starks in that car crash, in a very subtle way, which I don't think anyone took a second look at while watching that film. Hidden in plain sight but no-one picked it up, that's another way the Russos are incredible.

When Steve and Nat go down to the supercomputer containing Zola, Zola mentions them changing history, and it cuts from a photo of TWS holding a gun, I believe, to the cover of the paper which states the Starks had been killed. I believe this is when Steve found out, and considering Nat was there too, I'd guess she knew too.

And absolutely, what a way to make it come full circle

Your post has fixed the film for me. It was the only point which didn't make sense and it was really bugging me. I thought I'd missed a scene in the film or something but now you've pointed it out, it all fits!

Your post has fixed the film for me. It was the only point which didn't make sense and it was really bugging me. I thought I'd missed a scene in the film or something but now you've pointed it out, it all fits!

No problem! Glad to be of help:)

Definitely planning to see this again at least once more in cinemas

Inadvertently avoided all trailers and discussion and hype for this, was pleasantly surprised to realise it was out this week a week ago. Took Magnus Peterson as my fellow Marvel nerd.

Abso-fucking-lutely fantastic. Just loved it. All of it. Love. Really really good, everywhere. Much better than I'd probably have expected if I came to be expecting something. Really tight.

So excited I'm basically getting to do that again with X-Men in a few weeks too.

Best comic-to-film film yet! Amazing!

I echo all of the above, without the negatives... there were none.