NEurope
Ashley

General Switch Discussion

So I've noticed if I am playing in Handheld mode and I power off the console, when I then place it back in the dock to charge it auto powers back on also.

Is there a setting that will stop that somewhere?

I found one called "Match TV" or something like that, turned that off but it made no difference

I seriously cant believe Im playing BOTW on Switch... feels so surreal:weep: This feeling has surpassed how I felt with OOT. And the music in the game is making it such a magical moment...

Eyes are watering...

Edited by King_V

Hope you're all enjoying your Switches.

I've got to wait another month before I play with mine, family reasons since the console was too expensive for one person to realistically buy it so multiple people have bought it. Problem is we don't all live together anymore and I wasn't the one who actually went out and bought the console.

Does each different user on the Switch give a different Switch ID or is it all one for every user registered?

Well my Switch has arrived at my home in Glasgow, unfortunately I'm 5000 miles away in California until Sunday.

On the plus side I may be getting the US special edition of Zelda later

Just wanted to give my very quick review of the actual Console;

What. The. Fuck.

These Joy-cons are beyond useless. Far to small for my hands. It's ok on handheld with the switch out of dock, it just about gets away with it. But when you put it in the switch grip thing, it's hideous.

The layout is wrong, it's too fiddly it just doesn't feel right to me. The pro controller however is fantastic.

The switch lives up to its gimmick well, you can grab the tablet itself out of the dock and pick up exactly where you left off, the display is bright and crisp.

Remember the hidden extras with this. If you want to not mess around with the dock you need another £25 plug to charge it in hand held mode. It's another £30 to be able to charge kit Kat-cons while in use. It's another £65 for a controller you can realistically use. Oh and then £20 for a case and screen protector.

Then you realise that there's actually really only Zelda worth it, that's another £50.

You just paid £420 to play the new Zelda. You can get a PS4 with Horizon for £200 today.

Worst thing is, not even sorry I'd pay the £420 again just for this Zelda.

Just wanted to give my very quick review of the actual Console;

What. The. Fuck.

These Joy-cons are beyond useless. Far to small for my hands. It's ok on handheld with the switch out of dock, it just about gets away with it. But when you put it in the switch grip thing, it's hideous.

The layout is wrong, it's too fiddly it just doesn't feel right to me. The pro controller however is fantastic.

The switch lives up to its gimmick well, you can grab the tablet itself out of the dock and pick up exactly where you left off, the display is bright and crisp.

Remember the hidden extras with this. If you want to not mess around with the dock you need another £25 plug to charge it in hand held mode. It's another £30 to be able to charge kit Kat-cons while in use. It's another £65 for a controller you can realistically use. Oh and then £20 for a case and screen protector.

Then you realise that there's actually really only Zelda worth it, that's another £50.

You just paid £420 to play the new Zelda. You can get a PS4 with Horizon for £200 today.

Worst thing is, not even sorry I'd pay the £420 again just for this Zelda.

I bought a powerbank. Don't need the charge kit.

You seriously can't be adding a case and screen protector as a hidden extra. Would you do the same for a phone or tablet?

The pro controller again isn't a requirement to play anything.

Buying a game isn't a hidden extra. What do you expect free games?

Nintendo UK is truly useless. After getting an email before 4pm yesterday guaranteeing that it would be dispatched for delivery today it took them until 9am this morning to finally dispatch the package. Now at nearly 4pm Yodel still haven't received the actual goods. I pre-ordered on January 13th as soon as orders went live yet won't be getting it on launch day. I'm on hold with Nintendo now, doubt they'll be able to do much though.

I feel you're pain. Been waiting for amazon all day. Got my prime membership extended for another month for free after complaining about how long it's taken and all they are saying is I'll have it before 9pm.

I need to go Argos before 5.30 to pick up my case but can't leave until amazon have delivered.

Edited by liger05
Automerged Doublepost

I bought a powerbank. Don't need the charge kit.

You seriously can't be adding a case and screen protector as a hidden extra. Would you do the same for a phone or tablet?

The pro controller again isn't a requirement to play anything.

Buying a game isn't a hidden extra. What do you expect free games?

I feel you're pain. Been waiting for amazon all day. Got my prime membership extended for another month for free after complaining about how long it's taken and all they are saying is I'll have it before 9pm.

I need to go Argos before 5.30 to pick up my case but can't leave until amazon have delivered.

Will the power bank charge this? I have multiple of those!

When I get a new phone it usually comes with a case and screen protector (Mainly because it's a company phone) and I never said the game was a hidden extra, just something to take into account.

I disagree about the pro controller being optional. Having to use the joy-con's with Zelda on the TV would have ruined the experience for me. It really is a must have.

Will the power bank charge this? I have multiple of those!

When I get a new phone it usually comes with a case and screen protector (Mainly because it's a company phone) and I never said the game was a hidden extra, just something to take into account.

I disagree about the pro controller being optional. Having to use the joy-con's with Zelda on the TV would have ruined the experience for me. It really is a must have.

Digital Foundry tested a 10000mah powerbank and it charges the switch.

These Joy-cons are beyond useless. Far to small for my hands.

I felt this a little at first use, but almost like magic, your hands adjust and now it feels perfectly natural with the joycon grip.

I love it!

I'm not just saying it, I honestly do love it. I haven't enjoyed a piece of Nintendo hardware like this since the 3DS, and certainly not a home console since the GameCube. That said, it's so nice as a handheld I doubt I'll ever connect it to my TV. I'm not kidding; the screen is so nice, my TV couldn't compete in terms of motion.

I haven't even played a game yet!

If Nintendo can be the masters of hybrids and the masters of handhelds, I really don't need them to make a dedicated home console.

One thing: how do you turn it off (apart from Sleep Mode)? Is it OK to insert a cartridge whilst it's in Sleep Mode? Likewise with removing the power supply?

So, Switch arrived 2 hours ago. Smaller than I expected but feels well made. I didn't order a pro controller yet but the joycons in the grip are more than comfortable enough until I have some spare funds. Now, back to Zelda...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boosting the signal from the Switch would still counter a lot of it

No necessarily. Im not 100% up on BLE but if the transmissions require an acknowledgement (very likely) then this could be as much of a receiving problem than a sending one.

Pumping up the output power might make that worse. My guess is that the issue is poor antenna design like the iphone 4

Sooo, figured I'd drop my impressions after around 5-6 hours of using my Switch.

+ Being able to change poses and facial expressions on my Mii icon.

+ Amelia is great!

+ Engage dock system!

+ The Switch gimmick in general works perfectly.

- ......Where's the sound? Where's the music? No soothing sounds to accompany me on the HOME Menu? No music in the eShop to brighten up my shopping experience?! Not even any music in the Mii Maker?!?

- Speaking of the eShop, it's pretty awful. Such a pain to use compared to the Wii U eShop.

- Album feature is useless to me.

- HOME Menu customization is extremely lacking.

- No internet browser.

- No Miiverse.

- Minor complaint, but the News feed gets flooded the moment you connect to your Nintendo Account. I wish there was a way to remove specific ads you don't care about at least, but it seems to be either all or nothing... I'm tempted to go back to nothing.

- ...I might have missed something cause I've been running on very limited amounts of sleep recently, but... is there really no easy way to turn off the console while leaving it charging in the dock? Placing it in the dock when it's off turns it on??? The only workaround I could find was turning it off at the exact second I placed it in the dock, which did seem to work, but... that's rather tedious. And there's also no way to turn it off with just the controllers...?

Well, basically... the Switch feels like nearly the exact opposite of the Wii U to me... and not at all in a good way.

With the Wii U, I was very sceptical until the moment I held it in my hands and the Nintendo magic enveloped me.

With the Switch, I was very excited until the moment I turned it on and found it to lack nearly everything I've loved about recent Nintendo systems. There's no Miiverse to keep me entertained for hours on end, no internet browser filled with Nintendo charm, no... well, outside of Amelia's messages, there's just... no fun. At all.

I guess that's what the games are for, though... :hmm:

Edited by FireMeowth

Bless the wife, she's ordered Bomberman, a carry case, another plug and 1-2 switch because I refused to pay any more

Got my Switch earlier today.

Unfortunately... I'm not impressed. Maybe I shouldn't have hyped myself up for it because it's left me feeling gutted. I'm currently in the phase of trying to decide if it's a rubbish console or an okay handheld. So my problems are below.

The Joy-Cons are just too small for a console controller. You may say I should buy a Pro Controller... but I shouldn't have to! I shouldn't feel disappointed when I take a new product out of the box.

No analogue triggers :( I know we were expecting it but now it's in my hands I can see it's definitely digital. Not sure how they'd get some GameCube games to work IF they come to the VC at all.

Individual Joy-Cons are barely usable for two player games. Again the size is too small. The button placement is awkward. I don't know how widespread this annoyance will be but: the buttons aren't marked up the same. This makes sense because when they're used by one person they're labelled fine. But when you're playing two player and saying "press A"... It doesn't really work anymore because there is no A on the other controller.

When you're playing two player with the individual Joy-Cons, how exactly do you get them back to being a set? I ended up having to reboot the Switch.

Why can't I switch the console on from the controllers?! You have to fumble around to press the tiny button on top of the unit which is docked.

Getting the controllers off the device is awkward, maybe there's a knack to it, and once docked it becomes even more awkward.

This should have occurred to me before I actually got it, but the dock makes it awkward to place in an entertainment area. All my shelves are made for devices which are accessed horizontally, not vertically. I'm actually going to change my setup to accommodate it better during my week off.

The OS is sparse in console mode. A single line of icons? Really? That's barely passable on a handheld let alone a console.

One glaring issue I have with the eShop is that my eShop credit doesn't seem to be there. I'm linked up to the same NNID. I really want to buy FAST RMX but can't without access to my funds.

Update Figured it out (@Phube you might be interested). You have to go here. This shouldn't have to be a manual process though!

The device is heavy, I know it's because it has a huge battery.

This should have been obvious from the photos before hand, maybe I was taken in by how many times I heard the word premium thrown around, but it doesn't feel like new technology at all. The bezel around the screen is HUGE it makes it feel like an old iPad.

I seem to only be able to power it from the official power supply. My USB PD supply just makes the Switch say "use the official power supply" when docked. It charges it fine when undocked.

Because I don't want to leave it on a bad note here are the things I like about it so far:

• The screen is the best screen we've had on a Nintendo device ever.
  • The speakers are actually pretty good.
  • From boot up to start screen is seconds, unlike the Wii U which took ages. I think it's even a little faster than the New 3DS.
  • This is obvious because we've gone to cartridges, but booting a game is rapid.
  • Zelda is looking awesome from what I've seen so far.

I have until the 14th off to play it so hopefully I get used to some of the quirks and I've kept away from all the articles for the past 7 days so maybe some of those have answers for my issues with it.

Edited by V. Amoleo

Someone really sould open up a thread to dump friend codes into or something....just saying.

My switch arrived as planned, been playing zelda and having a little wonder around the eshop. Fun times.

Set up a Google sheet tied to my site account that people should be able to add to: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/16rLswYcXltyyRu8Rv5gEwljvRtgFkFxgZtjA0H-TdcI/edit?usp=sharing

I'll add mine at some point too :heh:

I'm thinking of perhaps tomorrow starting a new thread for Switch now that it's actually out. If so I'll put an informative first post which will include the above.