NEurope
Owario

Eliminate! N-E... You're Next!

Well, I missed the last few updates due to being on holiday, and it's getting pretty good. I'm rooting for myself over Letty here. :heh:

Anyway, you can probably guess that I've already seen (well, read) death note.

As we enter the final stretch of the story, I think it's time we had some fun. Let's hear your plot predictions; who do you think is going to stand victorious, and who is going to fail miserably? Go into the specifics of how and why if you wish.

(The next chapter should be up on Monday.)

I'll win the bet. Or loose it at the very last minute. Either way, I'm guessing that I'll turn out to be the most "evil" death god.

I reckon no-one will win and all the death note owners will kill each other.

But I'm still rooting for myself, seeing as I'm more cunning than a death god.

Heh, I've decided to restructure the ending to give it more of a build up, so I'm back to not knowing how many chapters there will be.

Chapter 9

Letty’s footsteps grew fainter and fainter as she accelerated her walking pace, further increasing the gap between her and Supergrunch. He watched as she turned into a dark alleyway ahead, which was strange, as he was fairly certain there was no way out other than the pathway she had taken to enter. Did this mean she knew someone was pursuing her? If that were the case, it meant she sought a direct confrontation with her stalker, which was the last thing Supergrunch wanted at the moment. Then again, he had come to the conclusion that Stefkov had indeed intended for him to follow Letty, and to do the opposite could get him killed. It didn’t seem like he had any other choice; he approached the alleyway, took a deep breath, and stuck his head around the corner.

The narrow passageway was bathed in shadows, making it difficult to see anything at all. Certainly, if someone were to stay perfectly still, it’d be next to impossible to catch a glimpse of them. Letty could be hiding anywhere, Supergrunch thought, displeased. Considering how to handle the situation, Supergrunch looked towards the floor, where he discovered a think black notebook resting peacefully under the yellow of a small light coming from the building above. He realised that next to it was a drainpipe leading up the wall, ending near a window. It was likely that had Letty dropped the notebook in a scurry to escape her follower. He squatted down for a closer inspection; the words ‘Death Note’ were inscribed on the cover in a menacing font. After a moment of hesitation, he leaned forward and picked it up.

The front cover was only half laminated; the rest was ripped off in a way that seemed to indicate some sort of panic. Supergrunch opened the notebook, and read the text on the inside.

‘The human whose name is written in this note shall die.’ After stopping for split second to think this over, he continued to read. ‘The note will not take effect unless the writer has the person’s face in their mind when writing his/her name. Therefore, people sharing the same name will not be affected.’

This couldn’t be real, could it? Supergrunch pondered fearfully; entrusting that sort of power to anyone could create worldwide chaos, but if this were indeed a legitimate piece of the puzzle, then it would definitely fit without force. The page on the right was blank, but flicking through the rest of the book, he noticed a tear where something had been ripped out.

Hearing a rustle beside him, Supergrunch lifted his head to take a look around. He dropped the Death Note; before him, a hideous monster had just materialised. Supergrunch backed up against the wall behind him. For the first time since he was a child, he was absolutely terrified, but not because of the horrifying beaststaring into his eyes, but because he had no idea what was going on, or how to react.

“Wha… What are you?â€

EchoDesiato smiled as he raised his arm and thrust it into Supergrunch, holding him firmly in place against the wall, unable to move. Emerging from the shadows, Letty examined Supergrunch from head to toe.

“You can put him down; I think we’re safe.â€

EchoDesiato relinquished his grip and allowed Supergrunch to slump to the floor. Letty moved forward and picked up her Death Note.

“Now, I know you’re not a Death Note owner, so I’d appreciate it if you said why you’re following me.â€

“But Letty, how do you know he hasn’t pulled the same trick you did? He might have given up possession of his note in an attempt fool us!â€

Supergrunch knew he had to take everything in here; everything that was said had the potential to be a clue which could lead him towards Stefkov.

“You don’t really think I did this just to get a good look at his face with the eyes, do you? This whole plan was to account for that possibility; the way he inspected the Death Note, and the way he reacted to your presence confirms that he had no idea what was going on, and is therefore not a Death Note owner in any sense of the term. If it had turned out that he was some sort of threat towards me, I’d have killed him using this page I ripped out of the Death Note. “

Letty turned back to face Supergrunch.

“Now, I’ll ask you again. Who are you, and why were you following me?â€

Death Note: How to Use

When the same name is written on more than one Death Note, the note which was first filled in will take effect, regardless of the time of death.

The Death Note will not affect those under 780 days old.

Strider looked around; he knew his captor’s death god would be near, but he wasn’t able to see or hear him, as he hadn’t touched the corresponding Death Note. Martinist was lying beside him, entertaining himself by throwing small rocks into a crack in the wall.

“Hey, Martinist, I need your help.â€

“Strider, you know I can’t set you free. That’s against the rules; no direct interference.â€

“No, it’s not that. Listen; is there another death god in this room?â€

“Nah, not right now, Cube’s probably with Moria.â€

“Moria? So that’s who did this to me.â€

“Yeah. Anyway, why’d you want to know?â€

“I need you to talk to him for me; it’s the only chance I’ve got of getting out of here. You’ve got to convince him to get Moria to let me go.â€

Martinist chuckled to himself.

“And how am I going to do that?â€

“Well, you death gods seem to like gambling a lot. Tell me, does the term ‘double or nothing’ mean anything to you?"

Ohh nice Owario. And even better not kmowing how many chapters are left so there might be more :)

Keep up the good work!

Unfortunately I was held up today, so I couldn't get the chapter done, however, I'll post the first half now so you guys get something to read. I'll update with the other half as soon as possible.

Chapter 10

Moria anxiously turned around, pen in hand, to view who had entered his room. Seeing Cube standing in the doorway, he sighed, and turned back around to his desk.

“I thought I told you not to disturb me?” he said nonchalantly.

“Listen Moria, you’ve hardly killed anyone, I think it’s about time we had some fun.”

As he grew more aggravated, Moria’s grip on his pen tightened.

“Don’t you understand? I can’t just go out guns blazing, I’ve got to have a plan, and if I want to be sure that it won’t fail me, I’ve got to continue to refine it. Sure, that means for now there’ll be no action, but the payoff will be worth it in the end, I promise. Now, would you please let me be?”

“I’m not asking here. I just talked with Martinist and-“

“You what?” Moria stood up, enraged. “I told you not to-“

“Quiet!”

Speechless, Moria’s mouth quivered.

“The reason I gave you that notebook was for my entertainment, so I think it’s about time you did something with it. Follow me; we’ve got a lot to talk about.”

“And if I refuse?”

With a stubborn look in his eye, Cube took out his Death Note and hovered his pen over it for a few seconds, mimicking the letters that make up Moria’s name. He then snapped the book shut, waking Moria from his trance like state, and beckoned him to follow.

In a distant town, two figures sat alone at opposite ends of a pub, unaware that their fates would soon be entwined.

Strider looked up as Moria entered the room and proceeded to question the thin air where Cube must have been standing.

“Alright, what do I have to do to get you to leave me alone?”

Martinist stood up.

“Ahh, I see my talk with Cube did leave an impression on him after all. I trust you’re game, Moria?”

Moria redirected his eyes to face Martinist.

“Apparently so. Let’s just get this over with.”

A new found sense of confidence filled Strider, as and he started to believe that his plan could actually work.

“A gamble. That’s all this is. You’ve just got to back the right horse. Both you and Strider here pick another member from the forums. Me and Cube will deliver your Death Notes to that member, and inform them that they must kill the other within a week or they themselves will fall victim to us. If the member you pick wins, Moria, then you get to do whatever you want with Strider, however,” Martinist paused for a moment to emphasise what he was about to say, “if Strider wins, he gets to go free, and you must not write his name in your Death Note.”

After a full minute of dead silence, a tear ran down Moria’s cheek.

“Strider… I had no idea! That… That’s genius! We’d be doing exactly what those fowl creatures did to us. We’d be playing god. I had no idea such a poetic idea could manifest itself inside your tiny little brain! And the way you exploited Cube’s boredom using your death god… I’m impressed!”

Strider was unprepared for Moria’s reaction. Something was wrong.

“I know who I’m going to pick.” Moria breathed a sigh of relief. In his mind, this gamble was already over. “I choose myself.”

If a Death Note owner accidentally misspells a name four times, that person will be free from being killed by the Death Note. However, if they intentionally misspell the name four times, the Death Note owner will die.

The person whose name was misspelled four times on purpose will not be free of a death by a death note.

“You… You can’t do that.” Strider struggled to keep his cool.

“Why not?” Moria replied.

“Strider’s right,” Cube shook his head as he spoke, “that’s unfair. Besides, you’re boring, and I want some action.”

“I think it’s time we laid down some rules,” Martinist growled.

Cube opened his mouth with a yawn, and closed it again with a large sigh.

“We need to make sure we can’t cheat; something that would stop us from killing the person ourselves.”

“Well if they’re getting our Death Notes then surely we won’t be able to kill them?”

Strider wondered whether Moria really thought he was that dumb.

“No, you could have easily ripped out a page and stowed it away.”

Something clicked in Moria’s mind. It was time to test just how clever Strider was.

“How about this then; Cube and Martinist each pick a specific cause of death and tell it only to the person we pick. Their rival must die by that cause, or else the game is forfeit. That way only they will know how to correctly kill the other, so cheating would be impossible.”

Something about the smile Moria wore as he spoke those last syllables unnerved Strider, but he couldn’t find a flaw in anything he had just said. Warily, he accepted the conditions.

“So I get to make the cause of death as gory as I want?” Cube had decided to speak up, although the other three ignored his comment.

“We can’t tell our pick the name of their prey though, and they won’t be allowed to tell us the specified cause of death.” Strider sensed he had stumbled upon where Moria had planned to trick him.

“Obviously,” Moria said, retaining his smile. “So who are you going to pick then, old chap?”

“You go first.”

“I haven’t made my mind up yet, but I figure it doesn’t really matter, as long as I don’t choose a complete fool. Nevertheless, I’ll need some time to think it over. I’ll give you the final verdict later, I suggest you mull over your decision a bit more until then.”

Strider was beginning to stress. Moria was clearly patronising him, but he didn’t understand exactly why he was so confident. As Cube followed Moria out of the room, Strider turned to Martinist.

“I’ve got a bad feeling about this.”

Moria sat back down at his desk and let out a small giggle.

“Well,” he said, picking up where he left off before he was rudely interrupted, “that was an easy victory.”

I wonder when Strider and Moria's story will link with mine and Letty's story. Good stuff.

Really good, although I didn't quite get what Moria has planned now but I think it will unfold soon enough :D

As this weeks chapter is quite short I decided to post it early as compensation. I'm not too happy about how it turned out, but I promise next week's will be better.

Chapter 11

“So it must be Stefkov who set me up at the meet up,” Letty said unhappily. “He must have planned for you to track me down and take me out of the picture.”

Both Letty and Supergrunch had recounted their stories to each other, and it was becoming clear that they were not each others enemies.

“No, I don’t think so. Given what you’ve told me, it’s entirely possible, and very probable, that someone else is controlling Stefkov using one of those notebooks.” Supergrunch paused and looked into Letty’s eyes. “You said four people including you have one?”

Letty nodded.

“I’m sure you realise how serious this situation is. At least one of those Death Note owners is smart enough to almost trick me, but thanks to you I now have a decent understanding of what exactly is going on. I propose we work together to catch these murderers; that way, we’ll have a much greater chance of success.”

“You mean as a team?” Letty’s voice was becoming more and more hopeful with every word Supergrunch said.

“Precisely. I’d like to note down everything you’ve told me so far, so if you and…”

Supergrunch looked at the beast standing by Letty’s side.

“The name’s EchoDesiato.”

With a warm smile, Supergrunch continued. “If you and EchoDesiato would follow me to my base of operations, we can get started.”

If someone possesses more than one Death Note, by visualizing the victim, then writing down the name in one of the Death Notes and the cause of death in the other, it will take effect.The order however, is unimportant, if you write down the cause of death in one Death Note and afterwards, write the name in the other, it will still take effect.

This can also be accomplished by two Death Note owners working together. In this case, it's necessary that the two touch each other's Death Notes.

DomJcg loaded up his favourite forum, but not for the usual reasons. For the first time in his life, he felt like he had a purpose. He clicked on Shino’s profile and chose the option to send him a private message.

“One of us is going to kill the other, there is no avoiding that. I will be waiting for you at my local pub, The Owl, all day tomorrow. This is where our showdown will commence, and this is where it will end. Good luck, and know that my win is nothing personal”

Having wiped all of his details from public view, DomJcg was confident he was going to win this battle, as there was no real feasible way that Shino could find his name in time. This battle was already over.

Shino didn’t bother to search the internet for DomJcg’s name or picture; there was no need, it was not necessary for his victory. He would go to The Owl the next day, but not to ‘commence’ the showdown like DomJcg had written; he merely wanted to see for himself what it is like to watch someone die. The battle was not what concerned him; instead, he was contemplated how he was going to escape ever giving up his new toy.

Chapter 12

DomJcg sat at a table in the corner of The Owl alone, watching the crowd of people cheer as their team scored a goal on the sleek screen hanging from the ceiling. It was getting late, but he was confident that Shino was going to show up soon. He smiled. Finally, something exciting was happening in his life.

Moria crouched down and sat against the wall opposite Strider, who was now undernourished to the point where he could not move without great effort, even without taking into consideration the chains holding him to the floor.

“You think you have a chance?†Moria said with a faux sympathetic tone.

The sound of Martinist’s snoring acted as a metronome, allowing Strider the ability to keep track of time, but coupled with his unequaled pessimism the endless noise resembled something closer to a countdown until his inevitable death.

As he walked into the pub, Shino glanced around, looking for anything unusual. Of all the tables, there was only one that seated two but was not yet fully occupied. He sat down and examined the expression of the man opposite him; he was smiling.

“You must be DomJcg.â€

“And you must be Shino,†DomJcg replied, leaning forward. “Let’s order some drinks; we’ve got a lot to talk about.â€

In the event that there are more than 6 Death Notes in the human world, only the first six that have been delivered to humans will have effect.

The seventh Death Note will not become active until one of the other 6 Death Notes is burned up, or a god of death takes one of them back to the world of death gods.

“A chance? There’s always a chance,†Strider spoke softly, “but you, you’ve got something up your sleeve, I can tell. I don’t know what you did, but you seem to think you’ve already got me beat. I admit it, Moria, you’re smarter than me. Chances are there’s no way for DomJcg to save me now.â€

A waitress handed DomJcg and Shino a pint of beer each, and DomJcg promptly started drinking from his glass.

“You trying to get me drunk?†Shino said as he watched DomJcg swallow a mouthful of beer.

“Surely you don’t think I’m so pathetic as to try something like that?â€

Shino picked up his pint and placed it on the other side of the table, swapping it with DomJcg’s glass.

“Honestly, you think I’d drug you? Now I’m insulted.â€

Shino took a sip from his newly acquired drink.

“No point taking risks.â€

“I guess not. You know, there-“

DomJcg’s confident characteristics were shattered as Shino removed his Death Note from his jacket and placed it on the table.

“You… You can’t take that out here!†Panicking, he raised his voice until the two started receiving odd looks from the people near them.

“Not if you draw attention to us like that. Calm down, I want your opinion on something.â€

“What?â€

Shino opened up the notebook.

“I’ve been looking at these rules, and I’ve found something interesting. As you know, at the moment, we’re merely pawns in someone’s sick game, and chances are whoever dies today, the other will most likely be killed anyway. I think I may have found a way around that.â€

“Why are you telling me this?â€

“Look, I’ve got nothing against you personally, but you’re going to die now no matter what happens. If you help me here, I promise I’ll seek revenge against the person who set this all up. You’re death will not be in vain.â€

“My death?â€

Shino sighed. It was obvious DomJcg was not going to cooperate.

“I’m sorry, if you’re going to be like that then there’s no point me staying here. This is more than a battle between us, can’t you see that? You’re not looking at the bigger picture! If we give in to them, there’s no telling what they’ll do next! I’ll tell you the truth; the I came here to watch you die, not because I enjoy that sort of thing, but because I’m hoping it’s going to scare me enough to take action on this evil. I guess I just hoped you’d be a little bit more helpful.â€

“What are you talking about?â€

Shino stood up, taking his Death Note and opening it up to a blank page.

“Goodbye, DomJcg.â€

“At least pay the bill!â€

Pausing, Shino took out a pen and quickly wrote something into the notebook. He then placed it back into his pocket, and took out his wallet as he walked over to the counter.

In the Death Note, you cannot set the time of death after the end of the victim’s original life span. If the victim’s death is set in the Death Note beyond his/her original life span, the victim will die before the set time.

Once the victim's name, cause of death and situation of death have been written down in the Death Note, this death will still take place even if that Death note or the part of the note in which it has been written is destroyed, for example, burned to ashes before the stated time of death.

“Want to know how I won?†Moria asked.

“Sure,†Strider replied with a depressing sigh, “tell me.â€

After retrieving his card from the waitress, Shino headed towards the exit. At that moment, DomJcg gave an ecstatic laugh.

“You fool! I’m the owner of this pub! I told that waitress to record your name from your credit card, and now, victory is mine. I win!â€

Shino stopped dead still, not making a single sound. He slowly turned to face DomJcg acknowledging him with an innocent smile.

“Heh. That’s cute.â€

An intense pain filled DomJcg’s head, and he began to froth at the mouth. With a look of confusion on his face, he began to fall, crashing to the floor just as Shino left the building.

“I’m not sure if you know this,†Moria began, “but it’s possible for two Death Note owners to work together, with one of them writing the cause of death, and the other writing the person’s name. ‘If someone possesses more than one Death Note, by visualizing the victim, then writing down the name in one of the Death Notes and the cause of death in the other, it will take effect. The order however, is unimportant, if you write down the cause of death in one Death Note and afterwards, write the name in the other, it will still take effect. This can also be accomplished by two Death Note owners working together. In this case, it's necessary that the two touch each other's Death Notes.’ This is what it stipulates in the rules of the Death Note. What I did was slightly different however; only having one Death Note, I ripped out part of a page and instructed Shino via a PM to simply write the cause of death specified by Cube. Knowing who you chose to give your Death Note to, I was able to look up any information on who they were before they realised the danger of having their name posted on the internet, and lucky me, he had also posted a picture of himself in the user image gallery, which currently only I have access to. Just then, I wrote DomJcg’s name, Dominic Griffiths, onto the ripped page, and in combination with Shino’s cause of death, your choice was killed, entirely without breaching the rules that you agreed to.

Strider wasn’t even sure he understood what Moria had told him, but he knew he had lost. His final hope had been extinguished, and he would soon fall victim to a Death Note himself. As he accepted his fate however, a feeling of peace fell over him, not because he knew it everything was finally over, but because he believed in karma, and he truly believed that eventually, justice would be served.

“You’re not going to get away with this, you know. You may have defeated me, but in doing so, you’ve created an even greater rival. Shino is not going to give up that Death Note you gave him without a fight, and by instructing him on what to do, you’ve given him insight on how your mind works. I just wish that I could be around to see your downfall.â€

Walking down the street, Shino knew that it was up to him to challenge the one who gave him the notebook, and to atone for the crime he was forced into committing. It wasn’t going to be easy, but thanks to his recent discovery, it was no longer going to be impossible.

Moria stood back up and took a deep breath, stretching his arms way above his head.

“You have a point, I suppose, but I think you underestimate my intelligence. Do you honestly think I expected Shino to give up the Death Note willingly? Everything has been accounted for, Strider, that is how my plans work. Again, you may note know this, but another rule specifies that if one’s name is misspelled four times, then they are impervious to the power of a Death Note. To prevent this from being exploited though, if a name is misspelled four times on purpose, then the writer is automatically killed. It’s quite poetic really; the more intelligent Shino is, the quicker he will kill himself. If he were to be dead already, for instance, then clearly he would be some sort of genius, and would have been one of the only people with the intelligence to stop me. Such a waste of a mind it will be.â€

Strider gazed on, trapped in a state of disbelief.

Shino’s body smashed against the cold pavement, his hand clutching his chest. The sounds of sirens outside the pub were growing more and more distant with every second that passed.

“I took the page detailing the rules regarding the misspelling of names and edited it so that only the first one showed. Not realising the consequences of misspelling his own name four time on purpose, Shino would have thought he was making himself invincible, but instead he was proving just how weak he really was.â€

Hearing the screams of a woman discovering his motionless body, Shino closed his eyes.