NEurope
flameboy

Football Season 2011/2012

What?

I saw that cattermole got sent off after the whistle but there was no explanation on BBC, do you know what happened? I'm going to guess complaining to the ref?

Not certain but it looks like he was just giving the ref shit after the match had finished. What a curious guy.

Also, as if Sess getting sent off hadn't affected my fantasy league enough, Bale isn't playing and he's my vice captain this week from Aguero. BAH.

EDIT - Not to speak to soon but...could this weekend have been any more perfect for Arsenal?

Edited by ipaul

Soo...all this talk of Chelsea for some reason made me miss the days of Vialli. For me that Era was up there as vintage premier league. Read a biography about him back in the day, just reading wikipedia for some interesting points:

Gullit was sacked in February 1998 and 33-year-old Vialli was appointed player-manager. Chelsea were already in the semi-finals of the Coca Cola Cup and the quarter finals of the European Cup Winners' Cup, and went on to win both competitions under Vialli, as well as finishing 4th in the Premier League. In beating VfB Stuttgart at the Cup Winners' Cup final on 13 May 1998, 33 years and 308 days old Vialli became the youngest coach to ever win a UEFA competition. The record stood for thirteen years until 18 May 2011 when FC Porto's André Villas-Boas won the Europa League at the age of 33 years and 213 days.

The following season Chelsea won the European Super Cup by beating Real Madrid 1–0, and finished 3rd in the Premier League, just four points behind champions Manchester United in what was Chelsea's highest league finish since 1970. Vialli made his final competitive appearance for the club against Derby County at the end of that season (a game in which he scored),[1] finishing his Chelsea career with 83 appearances and 40 goals.

The following season saw Chelsea reach the quarter-finals of the Champions League on their debut in the competition, the highlight of which was a 3–1 quarterfinal first leg victory over FC Barcelona, although they were eventually knocked out on aggregate following a 5-1 return leg loss at Camp Nou that needed extra time. Despite a disappointing 5th place finish in the Premier League, the campaign ended on a high note when Vialli guided Chelsea to a win over Aston Villa in the 2000 FA Cup final.

The 2000–01 season started brightly, with Chelsea beating Manchester United to win the FA Charity Shield, Vialli's fifth official trophy with the club in less than three years, making him the club's most successful manager at the time. But Vialli was sacked five games into the season after an indifferent start and having fallen out with several players, including Gianfranco Zola, Didier Deschamps and Dan Petrescu

You don't see many player managers these days do you? Been some very successful ones if you think back Dalglish, Gullit, Trevor Francis...

EDIT:

Just a thought wasn't Souness successful period at Rangers as player manager?

Edited by flameboy

You don't see many player managers these days do you? Been some very successful ones if you think back Dalglish, Gullit, Trevor Francis...

EDIT:

Just a thought wasn't Souness successful period at Rangers as player manager?

Are you suggesting that Vialli should be the next manager, or that they should choose a player-manager? Or just having a reminisce?

Are you suggesting that Vialli should be the next manager, or that they should choose a player-manager? Or just having a reminisce?

bit of all..I think Vialli would certainly get them to play the type of football RA craves. I do actually think there could have been a case for them having a player-manager seem as it was player power that got rid of AVB. Although I doubt any of them have their coaching badges complete which is now a requirement. Just don't think Di Matteo is the right man to steady the ship, I think it's a case of Avram Grant again they want a yes man who is just happy to be in the job.

I'd go for Brendan Rogers the way Swansea knock the ball about is a joy to watch.

Vialli fucked Watford in one season, he's not managed since. Says enough.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/17221172

It's always sad when people lose their jobs but you have to hand it to these guys volunteering for redundancy to help out staff members which have families to take care off. They're both young and will be able to find another club easily enough; even if it does take until the end of the season.

3-0 at half time. Can't believe it.

It's gonna be one of those games I will forever regret not buying a ticket for despite living across the road, isn't it?

Just like Barcelona at home last year!

If we keep this up it will be the best comeback ever.

3-0 at half time. Can't believe it.

It's gonna be one of those games I will forever regret not buying a ticket for despite living across the road, isn't it?

Just like Barcelona at home last year!

If we keep this up it will be the best comeback ever.

Even if we don't turn this around, I'm proud to be a Gooner, Given ourselves a real chance when no-one believed we could, to push them this far in a tie that should have been done and dusted at the San Siro. It'll take great discipline because I can only see Milan coming out fighting.

So close, just couldn't find a chance, van Persie had a sitter but wrong choice and the keeper saved it. Still beating Milan 3-0 is a great achievement, just a shame it wasn't enough.

Gutted but oh so proud at the same time.

Arsenal.

So proud of the team tonight. What a spirited performance.

An offside goal and Ibrahimovic dive in the first game proved very crucial.

Now to push on to get 3rd place in the league. At least we have til Monday to rest up now.

A loss is still a loss :p

Saying that, we'll win 1-0 on the night and thus still go out as well :p

Onwards to Leicester!

A loss is still a loss :p

We won 3-0...:awesome:

Cracking game, ran out of steam at the end. Atmosphere in the ground was brilliant and the players got an amazing reception at half time and full time.

Valiant effort by The Arsenal. A few of them looked as though they were carrying injuries, but they soldiered on. Newcastle next, it will be a tough game at home on Monday, they've got to keep performing like they have in recent games. Let's move up the league.

Does anyone else think Messi is just a pure freak of nature whom normal rules shouldn't apply? If he is in the squad they should only be allowed to play 10 men. I jest of course, but you know what I mean.

If I was a Barca fan I'd be bored of turning up for matches. Where's the fun when you know you are basically certified a win every single time. It's like rigging your own fruit machine to always pay out -- what's the point.

Edited by madeinbeats

Does anyone else think Messi is just a pure freak of nature whom normal rules shouldn't apply? If he is in the squad they should only be allowed to play 10 men. I jest of course, but you know what I mean.

If I was a Barca fan I'd be bored of turning up for matches. Where's the fun when you know you are basically certified a win every single time. It's like rigging your own fruit machine to always pay out -- what's the point.

But despite Messi's brilliance, Barça are 10 points off the top of La Liga.

But despite Messi's brilliance, Barça are 10 points off the top of La Liga.

Which is pretty much down to their poor away form.

The deal is almost done, Lukas Podolski is set to sign for Arsenal in the Summer.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/17295576

Of course he'll have to pass a medical when the window opens and agree personal terms. The fact the Club has settled on it is a good sign I think.

Edited by Emerald Emblem

Best football match i've seen all season, Man Utd v Bilbao. Was constantly end to end Bilbao weren't afraid of Man utd at all and just went at them, passing was brilliant at times and they have some top top players.

Sure liverpool got mixed up between llorente and carroll.