NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
tapedeck

Near Field Communication - Speculation:

Having seen the recent Disney Infinity announcement and success of Skylanders, it seems like NFC has a lot of mileage when coupled with console gaming.

As the Wii U has this functionality built directly into the Gamepad there is surely some announcements to come in the future. The fact that there will be more NFC devices (Gamepads) in the hands of gamers than portals of power shows that Nintendo have a great opportunity on their hands. That they don't have to sell you another battery guzzling peripheral is always a bonus too!

From interviews with Iwata, the NFC was added late so Nintendo may not have software ready to show off this year. Ubisoft showed the way Rabbids and Ezio (lul) could be used as new characters in their Rayman Legends proof of concept video. But since that leaked promo we've seen nothing.

So what would you like to see? Anything specific, or nothing at all?

My ideas:

As the NFC function has the ability to write data to items - a card that stores your data/preferences for characters would be great. This could be udseful for fighters like smash Bros. where you can go to your friends houses and just read your card on the Gamepad to get your customised player into their game. Ultimate Team on FIFA would be pretty lucrative here too.

I'd like to see Nintendo/Monolith release an RPG that allows me to buy cards for it in store. These cards would be items/characters/passes to new areas released at various points, lengthening the game. Similar to DLC but adds to the social aspects of games more than anything.

Pokemon seems obvious...although it could cripple individuals financially and an appearance on Wii U seems tentative at best.

Mario Party...comes with a box of figures or a dice. Something different to test the waters perhaps.

Animal Crossing...endless possibilities for designers here!!

Finally, something for the casuals. Wii U Sports comes with counters that, when placed on the Gamepad, jump straight into the event. Or enable you to pick heads or tails to bat first etc.

I can see some sort of Pokemon and Animal crossing cards coming out, possibly available through the stars catalogue. What would i like to see it being used for though? Bring out a mech game (Gundam/Armored core) and allow you to get exclusive parts using the cards. Or they could do what they did with F Zero GX in Japan and give you a card that you can scan with NFC to update your personal stats and then take that card to an arcade or another WiiU...

I would like to see Sadness Wii U where you can scan your Vitality Sensor pulserating into the game.

Then after you start up the game it says noting but "April Fools!" on your TV screen and Iwata, Shibata, Miyamoto and Reggie dance the Gangnam dance while putting on their best trollface...

Monster Hunter "DLC"... new monsters could come out as collectible figurines that could be scanned in via NFC and then you hunt them in the game.

I'd buy the hell out of them!

Here's an idea - Pokémon Trading Card Game.

A video game version of the trading cards, complete with a 3D animation of the battles going on in the middle of the screen, with online features, obviously.

It would be released with a new series of trading cards, complete with NFC chips - which will allow you to use your cards in the game. You would have to scan the card for each use (part of the NFC chip would have to be rewritable so it can put a randomly generated game ID so you can only use it once per game).

Scanning the card once would also unlock it permanently in a 3D Pokédex section of the game.

Monster Hunter "DLC"... new monsters could come out as collectible figurines that could be scanned in via NFC and then you hunt them in the game.

I'd buy the hell out of them!

That's a very likely scenario. There were figurines for Monster Hunter 3. They just need to implement NFC this time around.

I also think the various images of fruit, e.g. Iwata with the bananas might have something to do with NFC or it be take images of fruit with the camera to unlock items in a game like the pikmin carrying the fruit in Pikmin 3. Could be a new franchise with fruit based characters. It's so vague, you could be guessing forever.

I think and hope we'll see plenty of action figures with DLC. I'd love to buy a Varia Suit Samus figure that gives me let's say five different versions of Samus' suit in Smash Bros.

Or an Arwing figure to fly an Arwing in Pilotwiiungs.

Solid Snake to play as Snake in the next Zelda. Or a Link figure to play as Link in Metal Gear Rising : peace:

Or simple collectors cards to unlock cars in Nintendo GT. You know, randomly packed bundles of let's say 5 cards for 5 euro. Then trade with your friends.

It's like the e-Reader all over again...

But...folk will actually own this. But yeah, the concepts are eerily similar.

It's like the e-Reader all over again...

Except the need to produce physical items with actual NFC chips makes this more expensive - the e-reader was just a barcode scanner after all and it would be cheaper to knock up a pack of playing cards than a full deck of NFC equiped ones.

Most of these ideas are just alternatives takes on DLC and will only end up costing more money than a typical digital download would as these invovle the poroduction of a physical item. I'd prefer to pay £3 for a download than £10 because they want to sell me a plastic toy. If I wanted the toy/model, I'd have bought it anyway - don't start using it as a way to lock content away from me.

Let's not start "Skylandering" everything just because the tech exists.

Having to carry a seperate memory card to transfer data to it via the NFC and then back through it sounds like a lot of effort too when they could just implement cloud storage with the ability to access your saves from any device - something you'd hope would be achieved sooner rather than later anyway.

I'd personally prefer to see it as a way of linking game content to a phone app to allow a transfer of data between two devices that otherwise wouldn't be ableto communicate properly and open up new content that way. At least then, I'm more likely to get something different than simply paying extra for a toy I don't want just to get some extra gameplay that I would like.

Except the need to produce physical items with actual NFC chips makes this more expensive - the e-reader was just a barcode scanner after all and it would be cheaper to knock up a pack of playing cards than a full deck of NFC equiped ones.

Most of these ideas are just alternatives takes on DLC and will only end up costing more money than a typical digital download would as these invovle the poroduction of a physical item. I'd prefer to pay £3 for a download than £10 because they want to sell me a plastic toy. If I wanted the toy/model, I'd have bought it anyway - don't start using it as a way to lock content away from me.

Having to carry a seperate memory card to transfer data to it via the NFC and then back through it sounds like a lot of effort too when they could just implement cloud storage with the ability to access your saves from any device - something you'd hope would be achieved sooner rather than later anyway.

I'd personally prefer to see it as a way of linking game content to a phone app to allow a transfer of data between two devices that otherwise wouldn't be ableto communicate properly and open up new content that way. At least then, I'm more likely to get something different than simply paying extra for a toy I don't want just to get some extra gameplay that I would like.

I agree, I don't think this should be used as a replacement for DLC but as an alternative to it. They should definitely offer both.

I could see them bringing out an attachment for the 3DS that will supply NFC (and a redesign with it out of the box) that allows you to transfer data.

Then use it for two games and never speak of it again.

I'm intrigued by this, but just can't see how it can be used in any meaningful way. But even paying for stuff by seiping your bank card or adding Nintendo money, is still good. The odd figurine and card or whatever, I just hope it isn't a big rip off! Just random extras!

For transferring anything except a few lines of text, NFC is useless. For example, sharing an image between two Android phones via NFC actually activates bluetooth on both, connects then, transfers the picture then turns bluetooth off.

You could just put the NFC tech in the card which would hardly raise the production cost at all. But yeah, I'm very surprised that they bothered to put the reader tech in (expensive!) and not be using it at this stage. I doubt the devs even have access to it yet.

Sign in to follow this