NEurope
darksnowman

NEW! Super Mario Bros. U

Its my most wanted Wii U game and I think it looks great. Some of the backgrounds are bloody good, I love the oudoor ones with the Super Mario World style mountains and the indoor castle one is great too.

Its my most wanted Wii U game and I think it looks great. Some of the backgrounds are bloody good, I love the oudoor ones with the Super Mario World style mountains and the indoor castle one is great too.

Plays great too. Squirrel Suit took some getting used to.

In the demo, I was the only person who didn't die once though

The mountain region looks fantastic, beyond that it looks very very plain and safe IMO.

I'm not going crazy, at 0:24 in the site trailer, that little jingle is from SMB2 on the NES right? I think that's the game it's from anyway. Definitely rings a nice nostalgic bell.

Edited by Ronnie

What? Are they kidding?

Third paragraph on http://newsupermariobrosu.nintendo.com:

"Experience Mario like never before... in high definition, only on the Wii U console!"

Yesterday it said:

"Experience Mario like never before... in full 1080p HD, only on the Wii U console!"

They changed it!

Edited by are1981

Probably a mistake. It's not actually in 1080p :)

Of course! Otherwise it would not have been changed, certainly not without a clarification.

This mistake will cost them sales. Imagine the thousands of players that read the game will output 1080p, that will now be put off.

Look at how this spread like fire in a dry field:

14 hours ago: http://mynintendonews.com/2012/10/11/new-super-mario-bros-u-will-run-at-1080p/

6 hours ago: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-10-11-new-super-mario-bros-u-supports-full-1080p

6 hours ago: http://www.vg247.com/2012/10/11/new-super-mario-bros-u-1080p-support-confirmed/

5 hours ago: http://www.videogamer.com/wiiu/nsmb_mii/news/new_super_mario_bros_u_will_run_in_1080p.html

5 hours ago: http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/gaming/news/a429851/new-super-mario-bros-u-supports-1080p-resolution.html

3 hours ago: http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/new-super-mario-bros-u-will-run-in-native-1080p/0104355

I have yet to play a game that looks like 1080p on my PS3 and Xbox 360, and 720p done right looks great while sitting 2.5 meters from my Panasonic TX-P50G30, so I will not miss it that much.

Edited by are1981

This mistake will cost them sales. Imagine the thousands of players that read the game will output 1080p, that will now be put off.

I don't think it will make a blind bit of difference whether it was native 720p or 1080p. Most people will have already decided if they want the game or not that something as trivial as that, and let's face it, it is pretty darn insignificant, will not suddenly change their mind.

This is the biggest outrage in the history of gaming! I have cancelled my preorder!

[spoiler=:)]That's a joke, I couldn't care less whether it's 720 or 1080

Which vid are you refering too?

He's referring to the video on the NSMBU website.

I can see why you would think it's from SMB2 as it does resemble the opening couple of notes of the overworld theme in style but certainly not enough to mistake them.

What? Are they kidding?

Third paragraph on http://newsupermariobrosu.nintendo.com:

"Experience Mario DS like never before... in high definition, only on the Wii U console!"

Yesterday it said:

"Experience Mario DS like never before... in full 1080p HD, only on the Wii U console!"

They changed it!

Fixed.

Makes no difference to me as I won't be buying this lazy effort.

With Mario the priority is to set it at 60fps, so 1080p in addition to that would be surprising.

Fixed.

Makes no difference to me as I won't be buying this lazy effort.

What the hell do you keep coming back to this thread for? We get it - you won't be buying this game.

It doesn't matter how many times you spill forth with the same crap, it doesn't make it anymore true.

There's nothing lazy what-so-ever about creating a perfectly balanced platform game.

If making a game like this which played as well and was as well design was something any 'lazy' developer could do then they all would be. But they're not, because contrary to your idiotic and repetitive posts it's not easy or lazy to be able to make a game like this.

What the hell do you keep coming back to this thread for? We get it - you won't be buying this game.

It doesn't matter how many times you spill forth with the same crap, it doesn't make it anymore true.

There's nothing lazy what-so-ever about creating a perfectly balanced platform game.

If making a game like this which played as well and was as well design was something any 'lazy' developer could do then they all would be. But they're not, because contrary to your idiotic and repetitive posts it's not easy or lazy to be able to make a game like this.

Wrong! Should've gone to Specsavers, your fanboy goggles are so welded on, they're cutting off the blood supply to your brain. Contrary to your idiotic and repetitive posts it's easy and lazy to be able to make a game like this. It doesn't matter how many times you spill forth with the same crap, it doesn't make it anymore true.

Wrong! Should've gone to Specsavers, your fanboy goggles are so welded on, they're cutting off the blood supply to your brain. Contrary to your idiotic and repetitive posts it's easy and lazy to be able to make a game like this. It doesn't matter how many times you spill forth with the same crap, it doesn't make it anymore true.

OK smart arse, well if it's so easy to make a platform game with tight controls, great level design that appeals to a broad range of gamers then why isn't everyone doing it?

Because it's not easy. In fact I'd go as far to say that outside of Nintendo there was only one game that could compete with the Nintendo platform titles this gen - Rayman Origins.

So you can rant on endlessly about how lazy it is. But as I've already proved, 2D home Mario games are not milked - there's far less of them per generation than most modern titles (seven in six generations). Well balanced 2D platform games are hardly in abundance - so they're not that easy to make. So essentially your argument falls flat on its face.

You may not like Mario games. You may think Nintendo should have done something more artistic with the graphical style. But they certainly aren't being lazy - especially when you look at the amount of new features, the online connectivity and the asymmetric play that are fresh to the series.

OK smart arse, well if it's so easy to make a platform game with tight controls, great level design that appeals to a broad range of gamers then why isn't everyone doing it?

Because it's not easy. In fact I'd go as far to say that outside of Nintendo there was only one game that could compete with the Nintendo platform titles this gen - Rayman Origins.

So you can rant on endlessly about how lazy it is. But as I've already proved, 2D home Mario games are not milked - there's far less of them per generation than most modern titles (seven in six generations). Well balanced 2D platform games are hardly in abundance - so they're not that easy to make. So essentially your argument falls flat on its face.

You may not like Mario games. You may think Nintendo should have done something more artistic with the graphical style. But they certainly aren't being lazy - especially when you look at the amount of new features, the online connectivity and the asymmetric play that are fresh to the series.

Why would they need to milk it? NSMB Wii has sold 26 million. There's one iteration on both the Wii and DS. There's no need to make sequels when they're selling like nuts. Guess what newly released Nintendo handheld has a NSMB game already and now Wii U is getting the same treatment. Nintendo know it's a cash cow for each platform. I do know what I'm talking about. I own the games on Wii and DS. I did enjoy the games but I do recognise the sequels are lazy. NSMB U is the DS game with a lick of HD paint. They're not even utilising the gamepad well. It's used to put in platforms for noobs. Almost as exciting as the second player feature in Mario Galaxy. There's no excuse for this game not to run in 1080p. The Wii U wouldn't break a sweat displaying it but guess what they're being.......lazy!

I dont think NSMBWii is lazy, no freaking way. The level design in that game is top notch and up there with the best from any 2D Mario before it. Whether NSMBU turns out to be a lacklusture and lazy in the level design department remains to be seen, I havent played it yet.

The games can visually look anyway they want, outside of Yoshi's Island there hasnt been a 2D Mario with really amazing art design so I'm not fussed about that. I judge 2D Marios by their levels not by the way they look and in terms of level design NSMBWii was damn good, NSMB DS however was pretty damn boring. If anything from NSMB DS to Wii they have got less lazy in that regard. I cant comment on the 3DS game as I havent played it and even then its made by the B team.

Edited by bryanee

Why would they need to milk it? NSMB Wii has sold 26 million. There's one iteration on both the Wii and DS. There's no need to make sequels when they're selling like nuts. Guess what newly released Nintendo handheld has a NSMB game already and now Wii U is getting the same treatment. Nintendo know it's a cash cow for each platform. I do know what I'm talking about. I own the games on Wii and DS. I did enjoy the games but I do recognise the sequels are lazy. NSMB U is the DS game with a lick of HD paint. They're not even utilising the gamepad well. It's used to put in platforms for noobs. Almost as exciting as the second player feature in Mario Galaxy. There's no excuse for this game not to run in 1080p. The Wii U wouldn't break a sweat displaying it but guess what they're being.......lazy!

Yes, Nintendo put ONE of these games on each system. They've already said they have no intention of doing more than one NSMB title on any single system.

What's more, NSMBWii is the best of the NSMB games. The level design was incredible, the four player was fun and the added Wii Remote functionality worked really well. It was an excellent evolution of the franchise. I was reading a thread on NeoGaf about the NSMB series and Wii was the clear favourite.

To state that the Wii U version is the DS version in HD is laughable. They've re-done the style of the game to reflect Super Mario World and the backgrounds look gorgeous. What's more they've added two new modes of play and online features to compare different speed runs through the Miiverse. These things aren't trivial updates, nor is the asymmetric aspect of the game play.

I love how you state it's lazy that the game doesn't run in 1080p, are you a programmer now?

I dont think NSMBWii is lazy, no freaking way. The level design in that game its top notch and up the with the best from any 2D Mario before it. Whether NSMBU turn out to be a lacklusture and lazy in the level design department remains to be seen, I havent played it yet.

The games can visually look anyway they want, outside of Yoshi's Island there hasnt been a 2D Mario with really amazing art design so I'm not fussed about that. I judge 2D Marios by their levels not by the way they look and in terms of level design NSMBWii was damn good, NSMB DS however was pretty damn boring. If anything from NSMB DS to Wii they have got less lazy in that regard. I cant comment on the 3DS game as I havent played it and even then its made by the B team.

I agree wholeheartedly with your appreciation of NSMBWii, the design was fantastic. From reading the comments on several forums (most notably NeoGaf) it seems most would agree that the Wii version is the finest when it comes to level design.

I'm a big fan of 2D Mario games and to me it's all about the smoothness of the gameplay and the level design. We can all wish for something with hand drawn sprites and a different aesthetic more to our own personal preference, but NSMB is an important bridge title enjoyed by the hardcore and the impulse buyers alike. For that reason alone Nintendo are always going to present it in the most clean and accessible way - it doesn't bother me though as some of the backgrounds in this look incredible!

it doesn't bother me though as some of the backgrounds in this look incredible!
Can you show me some examples?

Can you show me some examples?

nsmbu_1.jpg

12jpg-5f3035.jpg

nsmb_mii_19_605x.jpg

I think the backgrounds are pretty damn good in these shots, especially the Boo level. I'd have a gander for more but god damn I have Dishonored waiting for me to play :P

I'd have a gander for more but god damn I have Dishonored waiting for me to play :P
Make sure to post your impressions in the thread, I'm quite interested in that one!

I do like that first world, but I still think the backgrounds aren't even remotely close to those found in DCKR.