NEurope
Grazza

What More Do You Want From the 3DS?

The 3DS has had a good 30 months (or thereabouts). Nintendo has finally been able to release everything it initially planned for the handheld and we've got huge titles like Fire Emblem and Animal Crossing. Zelda is on its way, as are localisations for some of the bigger Japanese RPGs.

The question is: what more? What would you feel was amiss if it never appeared on the 3DS? My nominations:

2D Metroid

Metroid Fusion and Metroid: Zero Mission - the two finest games on the GBA, in my opinion. And yet the DS came and went with no 2D Metroid. None of that beautiful spritework or those tight controls. None of the weapon/armour upgrades. No dodging and blasting. It's like Nintendo has forgotten one of its best ideas! It doesn't need to be big-budget or have carefully-rendered polygons. Nintendo could have a true 10/10 with Metroid V, and it could be relatively cheap and simple too.

(An original) 3D Zelda

When I first played the early 3DS games like Ocarina of Time and even Pilotwings Resort, I imagined how good an original 3D Zelda could be on the handheld. We know it can do environments that are technically as good as the N64, but look a lot better. We know it can do controls as good as the N64 (what a joy it was to use the Mirror Shield in OOT 3D!) Whilst I will probably enjoy A Link to the Past 2, in the back on my mind I'll be hoping it's not the biggest and best Zelda they've planned for the 3DS.

An original Dragon Quest

This is the main one. The other day I was going through my DS and 3DS games, deciding which ones to keep. When I loaded up Dragon Quest IX I realised that nothing else I have played on DS or 3DS comes close to it. It doesn't have the smoothest graphics but it was just an amazing experience. Playing through the story, visiting different castles and "Swinedimples" school for wizards; going through the Grottoes and trying to collect Metal Slime equipment; fighting the insanely-hard Legacy Bosses. I realised I would sell every game I've played since to have another experience like that. We don't yet know what format Dragon Quest XI will be on (or if there will even be one), but if it's on the 3DS you won't see me complaining. :)

For me I want all the titles, like Mario Golf, Mario Party, etc., to be released, plus Majora's Mask remake, and Metroid Prime Trilogy 3D. Ohhh, and sort out the licencing issues and release Goldeneye 64 3D (updated, online, etc.) And then I can die a happy man.

F-Zero and Wave Race 3DS. A pokemon game that ditches a lot of the crap that has accumulated over the years.

New IPs. That's all I really want... New and different stuff.

Initially I wanted a good vc catalog, but the dpad is so poorly placed that it kind of wrecked it's potential as an oldie machine. WiiU gamepad is the way to go in that regard, imo.

F-Zero and Wave Race 3DS. A pokemon game that ditches a lot of the crap that has accumulated over the years.

Oh no you didn't...

I'm not sure really. I'm happy with its output. A new Starfox game would be nice

More than anything else. 3DS needs more new IPs to call its own - ideally at retail.

While there have been a good number of them on the eShop (Dillon's Rolling Western, Denpa Men, Pullblox/Fallblox, Harmoknight etc) and the built-in stuff like the AR Games, Face Raiders and of course Streetpass Plaza (as well as the 4 downloadable Streetpass games), at retail Nintendo has only released one single new IP worldwide (Steel Diver) and that was actually a repurposed DS tech demo!

I wouldn't want the 3DS to be forever remembered as the sequel machine. I'm still waiting to see more new original IPs at retail for 3DS...

More than anything else. 3DS needs more new IPs to call its own - ideally at retail.

While there have been a good number of them on the eShop (Dillon's Rolling Western, Denpa Men, Pullblox/Fallblox, Harmoknight etc) and the built-in stuff like the AR Games, Face Raiders and of course Streetpass Plaza (as well as the 4 downloadable Streetpass games), at retail Nintendo has only released one single new IP worldwide (Steel Diver) and that was actually a repurposed DS tech demo!

I wouldn't want the 3DS to be forever remembered as the sequel machine. I'm still waiting to see more new original IPs at retail for 3DS...

Problem is, new IPs just don't sell well often (barring the odd exception) which is why Nintendo focuses their new IPs onto the eShop. That in no way lowers their quality

Problem is, new IPs just don't sell well often (barring the odd exception) which is why Nintendo focuses their new IPs onto the eShop. That in no way lowers their quality

I never said it did, but in the minds of the public, there's a certain sense of legitimacy that retail games have that downloadable games lack.

3DS has plenty of sequels, but not much to call its own. Carving its own identity should be Nintendo's priority now, especially considering that the userbase is plenty large now - with solid momentum behind the platform.

It to print money for me?

seriously though what has been mentione is all you could want from it now, a new 3d zelda would always be good (using the Wind waker engine preferably), a new 2d Metroid (probably done in other m style i'd have thought) then GBA and Snes virtual console games

I would like it to be free so i could have one.

Alternatively, maybe an extra DS, so that it became the 4DS. How cool would that be?

*Quirky little titles like the DS had.

and

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR9C4CcQqU98qa8IU2VeDwT7rUNXA7FecxR20zGNnfd5vBACTPC

Though this one on the WiiU would be mighty awesome!

Revive Mole Mania, Nintendo!

But seriously, at this point, there's nothing I want of it other than a price drop :heh: (And removal of region-locking. I have a feeling I might change continents one day...)

(And removal of region-locking. I have a feeling I might change continents one day...)

Wait add that to my wants! in this day and age there is NO good reason why anything needs region locking.

They can't use the damaging sales in other regions argument, when the primary reasons people imported were

1. to get games released in other territories months/years before theirs - something that given the more worldwide release we get now is redundant

2. To get games they have no intention of localising

on a handheld its worse still, its a portable console, to be taken worldwide, now they even have things like street pass to encourage mixing with other regions.....but don't you dare try and buy a game while on holiday thats damaging the games economy or something.....

A Metroid Game

I can't believe both the DS and N64 didn't have one. I'm not counting Prime Hunters, because that's not really a Metroid game. I'd love one in the style of Other M, or even just a prettier version of Fusion. Either way, we need one.

F Zero

Again...I can't believe we didn't get one for the DS OR the Wii...what the fuck, Nintendo? Imagine if there was one for the 3DS and one for the Wii U and they could interact in some way....HNNNNGGGGG.

Hotel Dusk sequel

Blew me away on the DS and I've yet to play Last Window. We need moaaar of these.

Trauma Centre

I have both New Blood and Second Opinion on the Wii and I'd love me some moar for the 3DS. :D

An RPG in the style of Xenoblade

HNNNNNNGGGGG.

Advance Wars

Cmaaaaan.

Wait add that to my wants! in this day and age there is NO good reason why anything needs region locking.

They can't use the damaging sales in other regions argument, when the primary reasons people imported were

1. to get games released in other territories months/years before theirs - something that given the more worldwide release we get now is redundant

2. To get games they have no intention of localising

on a handheld its worse still, its a portable console, to be taken worldwide, now they even have things like street pass to encourage mixing with other regions.....but don't you dare try and buy a game while on holiday thats damaging the games economy or something.....

Even StreetPass is region locked on most 1st party games. Makes no sense.

Stuff I'd like to see:

A new F-Zero. Either full retail or a budget eShop title. Something along the lines of a retro style mode 7 game could work for the eShop with a low budget. Excitebike World Rally worked really nicely on WiiWare.

New Advance Wars. The previous games have been some of the best on GBA and DS, they're perfect for handheld consoles.

Some new game which has an awesome and creative use of StreetPass. It has a load of potential, I don't think any retail game has used it that well yet.

Hotel Dusk sequel

Blew me away on the DS and I've yet to play Last Window. We need moaaar of these.

You could try Again, which plays just like Hotel Dusk, but was published by Tecmo instead of Nintendo. It was not released in Europe, tough, and didn't get very high rates in reviews. I found it on Tradera a few weeks back, but haven't played it yet. Project X Zone takes too much time.

I doubet we'll ever get a real sequel to Last Window, as the developer Cing went bankrupt in 2010.

Good topic

Fuck new IPs, give me Infinite Space 2.

And obviously Advance Wars.

Then I can die happy.

I'd like to see..

Ghost Trick 2

Golden Sun

The World Ends With You 2

Elite Beat Agents 2

Super Metroid: Other M

I'd also like a few new franchises that would be of interest to me, as well as a remake of Majora's Mask in the same vein as Ocarina of Time 3D :smile:

There has been a lot of talk about how amazing it is to have a 3DS right now and all these great games that are coming out but I'll have to admit that I'm not feeling that excitement. Fire Emblem isn't a game that seems to click with me, Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D was superior on the Wii and Animal Crossing is a decent time waster but I sometimes feel like I'm forced to play it rather than actually wanting to :indeed: I'm not looking forward to Link Between Worlds as I'm not fond of anything I've seen from it, Yoshi's New Island looks like basically more of the same and I was never that fond of the original or DS game :hmm:

It would be great to see things like F-Zero, 1080 and Wave Race on 3DS but I'd be more interested in seeing those games on Wii U..

You could try Again, which plays just like Hotel Dusk, but was published by Tecmo instead of Nintendo. It was not released in Europe, tough, and didn't get very high rates in reviews. I found it on Tradera a few weeks back, but haven't played it yet. Project X Zone takes too much time.

I doubet we'll ever get a real sequel to Last Window, as the developer Cing went bankrupt in 2010.

Hmm, I might look into it, although the fact that it wasn't released in Europe will make that difficult.

So, nobody bought out Cing or the rights to the games? Hmm, I guess that's that then. :(

Right now I don't really want/need anything (thanks to Animal Crossing :hehe:) but I am really looking forward to KORG M01D and Flipnote Studio 3D hitting the eShop. And then there's the awesome looking Zelda: A Link Between Worlds, Pokémon X and hopefully Monster Hunter 4. :)

As for the future, well I would love to see Tomodachi Collection: New Life get a European release. The unlocalised NDS game Tingle's Balloon Trip would be pretty sweet as well, Nintendo should just release these kind of games via the eShop. ;)

And for games that don't actually exist, it would have to be WarioWare D.I.Y. 2! :love: Man, that'd be amazing on 3DS.

Obviously I wouldn't say no to a new F-Zero either, I enjoyed all 3 GBA F-Zero games (especially F-Zero Climax) and I think the series does work well as a handheld game.

Oh, Nintendo should get some Virtual Boy games up on the VC too! I'll be baffled if the 3DS comes and goes without that happening. ::shrug:

Hmm, I might look into it, although the fact that it wasn't released in Europe will make that difficult.

So, nobody bought out Cing or the rights to the games? Hmm, I guess that's that then. :(

I believe I read somewhere that NINTENDO has the rights to some of CING's IPs such as Hotel Dusk and Another Code.

COuld be wrong though, time to do some research.

I too am a big fan of Kyle Hyde!

You seriously need to play The Last Window, it has that lovely 80s vibe going on an and has a brilliant story and awesome new characters as well as Hotel Dusk.

I'm happy I still have the Virtue's Last Reward series and the Another Code series waiting for me when I get the urge to play through some visual novels again :D

I'd like a hardware revision with two analog sticks/second set of shoulder buttons. Just make it so the Circle Pad Pro is automatically detected by supported games and you're good to go! A nicer screen would also be great - just call it 3DS DELUXE and take my money from me.

I'm fairly happy with the software so far, feeling optimistic about everything due out in the next few months as well. Nintendo just need to keep doing what they're doing and I'll continue to love my 3DS.

Want to make me overjoyed? Cross-play virtual console with the Wii U.

I'd like a hardware revision with two analog sticks/second set of shoulder buttons. Just make it so the Circle Pad Pro is automatically detected by supported games and you're good to go! A nicer screen would also be great - just call it 3DS DELUXE and take my money from me.

This is probably the only hardware revision I'll ever approve of. If anything, it just adds balance to the system. I'm looking at the Wii U GamePad and it's lovely how symmetrical it is. I go back to the 3DS and it feels like it does need another slide-pad on the other side. I can live without a second set of shoulder buttons. That would probably made the system too bulky, whilst I love the depth already.