NEurope
Dcubed

Nintendo Direct: The Legend of Buffering

The fact that they showed Bayonetta and X trailers in a SPRING Nintendo directs speaks volumes of their lack of software. In fact, they also showed a Smash trailer too, so that was 3 games they showed which are not coming in Spring, with Donkey Kong having already been delayed from last year.

@liger05 Yep, like HoT put it, what else can you do? Whine on the internet, repeat the same arguments over and over again? Been there, done that, nothing changed, and it seems little is gonna change in the future either. Nintendo simply don't have the capacity to crank out games all the time, just reference the older consoles.

And btw, I'm already voting with my wallet. I've only bought MH3U and AC3 so far, and a few 0,99€ VC games; that's all. In this poor economic situation, other consoles and especially steam are offering me much better deals with innovation yet also cheap prices. Also, you can get a 360 for a 100€ at a gamestop, and the library is bursting with AAA titles with 10-20€ prices. So I really don't see any other option than just accepting the reality and adapting to it...

I agree there isnt much which we can do but this a forum for opinions and unfortuantly the actions of Nintendo mean the opions tend to be negative towards Nintendo. People dont moan just for the sake of it and I personally wish there was more to be positive about but there really isnt.

Like yourself my wallet is where I will vote from and the days of me buying a Nintendo console on day 1 are gone. I need to be certain of real change next time around.

For now the Wii U wont be seen as a secondry console for me. I have PS4 and the Wii U is basically a big paperweight which will get brief use and then collect dust one again for months on end. It cant be described as a secondry console as I barely use it.

I agree there isnt much which we can do but this a forum for opinions and unfortuantly the actions of Nintendo mean the opions tend to be negative towards Nintendo. People dont moan just for the sake of it and I personally wish there was more to be positive about but there really isnt.

Like yourself my wallet is where I will vote from and the days of me buying a Nintendo console on day 1 are gone. I need to be certain of real change next time around.

For now the Wii U wont be seen as a secondry console for me. I have PS4 and the Wii U is basically a big paperweight which will get brief use and then collect dust one again for months on end. It cant be described as a secondry console as I barely use it.

Yeah of course, but it's just that the negativity gets pretty tiring after a while. And it must suck for people who don't have other options right now, but I'm just saying that maybe they should start considering them...I mean there's only so much Nintendo can do on their own. Yes, the situation might be their own fault, but they just can't magically turn into games like that. It is what it is.

Same here. I haven't really played anything else than Monster Hunter on it either, and that was in the Spring / Summer. Thus why I'd say a price cut is sorely needed, because there's no basis for buying a machine this expensive for such a limited catalogue of games. Although, whether a price cut is even possible, I have no idea...

The big worry is that Nintendo is also losing their cultural resonance with younger kids (and have been doing so for a long time now). It's not like kids nowadays are old enough to have played all those amazing N64 games like Mario 64; for them, there's very little precedent that Nintendo can make a home console that is relevant.

Not only are Nintendo clearly out of touch with today's audience, but their audience has been increasingly losing touch with them.

...Or maybe not. It's just a thought.

GBA games on Virtual Console!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! oh wait on Wii U. FUCK YOU NINTENDO! Such a kick in the nuts to 3DS owners, both ambassadors who have patiently waited for my GBA game to appear and newer owners who are probably wondering why they aren't on there. The cynic in me can't help but feel that Nintendo are doing this deliberately to entice people on to the Wii U, when the 3DS is the obvious platform for these games. Well I'd rather go to second stores and rebuild my GBA collection that way than give Nintendo more money at this point.

You want to get kids back into Nintendo franchises put your old games on the console that is owned by 10's of millions not just a select few...idiotic move

The big worry is that Nintendo is also losing their cultural resonance with younger kids (and have been doing so for a long time now). It's not like kids nowadays are old enough to have played all those amazing N64 games like Mario 64; for them, there's very little precedent that Nintendo can make a home console that is relevant.

Not only are Nintendo clearly out of touch with today's audience, but their audience has been increasingly losing touch with them.

...Or maybe not. It's just a thought.

It's true.

I mean I've been with Nintendo for the Gameboy, N64, Gameboy Colour, Gamecube, GBA, DS, Wii, 3DS... but they're loosing me. They just seem so out of touch with how the industry works nowadays.

They really need to find their audience, if it's not us anymore with all our nostalgic cravings for the franchises we grew up with then fine, but right now they're targeting/appealing to next to no one and it's sad to see.

Edited by Retro_Link

Yep. I think I have all of the Nintendo consoles in some form except for the Virtual Boy, and I've always been impressed and happy about the machines except for now. The console itself is great, but the variety just isn't there, what can you do...

About the GBA and DS on the Wii U, that's probably just a last-minute effort to try and get something on the console. I still don't get why not just flesh out the NES and SNES sections with a faster pace, but maybe it's licensing issues or something. Do the publishers, apart from Capcom, even want their games on the Wii U VC?

Yep. I think I have all of the Nintendo consoles in some form except for the Virtual Boy, and I've always been impressed and happy about the machines except for now. The console itself is great, but the variety just isn't there, what can you do...

About the GBA and DS on the Wii U, that's probably just a last-minute effort to try and get something on the console. I still don't get why not just flesh out the NES and SNES sections with a faster pace, but maybe it's licensing issues or something. Do the publishers, apart from Capcom, even want their games on the Wii U VC?

I think I would appreciate my Wii U a lot more if I could play GC games on it. I'm seriously contemplating putting my Wii back in my room, play a few of the classics

I mean there's only so much Nintendo can do on their own.

Then honestly, they shouldn't be releasing a console with empty promises of having the necessary support to ensure the Wii U is an entertainment system.

On the back of Wii's commercial success, Nintendo really didn't have anything to lose - they could/should have taken the time to build vital partnerships and marketing tools, but it seems the Wii's success made them even more disengaged and stoic.

People use their time and energy to 'whine' because they/we honestly want to see Nintendo making those moves and bringing out those titles that has made us grow fond of them. But Nintendo are failing.

We shouldn't have to accept that its a given Nintendo consoles remain a secondary, assist console. I won't be investing in the WiiU any longer on the back of this ND - Just dreadful.

Then honestly, they shouldn't be releasing a console with empty promises of having the necessary support to ensure the Wii U is an entertainment system.

On the back of Wii's commercial success, Nintendo really didn't have anything to lose - they could/should have taken the time to build vital partnerships and marketing tools, but it seems the Wii's success made them even more disengaged and stoic.

People use their time and energy to 'whine' because they/we honestly want to see Nintendo making those moves and bringing out those titles that has made us grow fond of them. But Nintendo are failing.

We shouldn't have to accept that its a given Nintendo consoles remain a secondary, assist console. I won't be investing in the WiiU any longer on the back of this ND - Just dreadful.

True. But personally, I just got sick and tired of repeating the same complaints, especially when nothing is happening. It doesn't seem to matter if you complain or not, things remain the same. It's insane to just keep on bashing your head against the brick wall and hope and hope something happens. Accept and move on, or at least start sending those angry letters directly to Nintendo, that might actually change something.

Of course we want to see Nintendo make the moves, but it's not happening. Empty promises after empty promises, they clearly were not ready for this situation. If the schedule was full of 3rd party support, the launch dates of their own games would not be anything to whine about. But it's not. It seems they banked on the gamepad selling like hotcakes and thus automatically drawing in the 3rd parties to support the machine, just like with the Wii. But nope, just the opposite happened. Risky / lazy strategy which didn't work out, and now we're in the situation that we are. They're alone, and not ready to pump out a console's full of content. It sucks for the consumer, but no amount of whining is magically gonna transform that, because the capacity simply isn't there.

Also, the 3DS is doing just fine, but it also has a lot of 3rd party support and lots of VC titles as well. So it's not like we're dealing with total incompetence here, but something with the Wii U just went wrong and there's no easy magic fix. #imo

Edited by Ville

GBA games on Virtual Console!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! oh wait on Wii U. FUCK YOU NINTENDO! Such a kick in the nuts to 3DS owners, both ambassadors who have patiently waited for my GBA game to appear and newer owners who are probably wondering why they aren't on there. The cynic in me can't help but feel that Nintendo are doing this deliberately to entice people on to the Wii U, when the 3DS is the obvious platform for these games. Well I'd rather go to second stores and rebuild my GBA collection that way than give Nintendo more money at this point.

You want to get kids back into Nintendo franchises put your old games on the console that is owned by 10's of millions not just a select few...idiotic move

And thus, piracy flourishes.

I didn't have time to post my thoughts last night. Basically, Mario Kart 8 and Donkey Kong Country Returns: Tropical Freeze look great if you're into them... which I'm not. Bayonetta 2 and X also look good in their own right, but they are the sort of game that make me feel old - far too frenetic for me! I'm just into things that are a bit slower-paced, with more exploration, atmosphere etc. That said, the games look fine and I don't want to sound ungrateful just because they're not my sort of thing.

The stream was absolutely terrible and I had to watch the American one, which is a shame because Satoru Shibata talking about European releases is a highlight for me. Indeed, the news that Etrian Odyssey Untold is coming over here was my highlight - I can write that on my calendar, so I'm happy.

But overall, I don't think there's anything that sums up present-day Nintendo more than NES Remix 2:

"We're making too many games where Mario goes from left to right."

"OK, make one where Luigi goes from right to left."

And thus, piracy flourishes.

Why are using my post where I said I'd rather rebuild my gba collection in second stores as an advert for rising piracy? Seems a bit harsh. At no point did I say ill stick to emulators thanks....

Why are using my post where I said I'd rather rebuild my gba collection in second stores as an advert for rising piracy? Seems a bit harsh. At no point did I say ill stick to emulators thanks....

He wasn't accusing you, just using your words because they managed to argue the case of rising piracy by themselves, even if inadvertantly.

Another thing - I know some people are cynical about remakes, but tell me honestly that an HD remake of Twilight Princess wouldn't have made that Direct a lot more exciting.

That's my least favorite Zelda so no :p but I don't want MM remake either.

But I know what we mean ;) for me F-Zero GX HD or something could have done it.

Actually if they'd cleared up the Watch Dogs delay and shown off some of that, it could have made a difference, as it could be a game to fill the DKCTF to MK8 gap.

Edited by Retro_Link

They remade Wind Waker because the visual style was timeless and beautiful, and there were issues with the game that they could easily fix. Plus it was two generations back. It was a good choice for an HD remake. Twilight Princess doesn't need to be remade. You can play it fine on the Wii U already, the art style looks very muddy and dated and the graphics don't need upgrading.

The solution?

FOR FANS

-----------

NES/SNES VC SHARED for Wii U and 3DS.

N64/CUBE VC for Wii U.

GBA/DS VC for 3DS.

Dedicated translation team. Not people who've just been told "translate this" but actual experts. To translate games to sell in non-japanese country whose own developer is EXTREMELY lax (SE for one...). A subset of the team would include those who translate and release older games on VC that NEVER got a western release. It should be a whole ongoing event or something. Yes, we got a few, but you know what I mean.

For Nintendo INHOUSE to concentrate on neglected IPs, or at least give them to trusted developers, such as...

Metroid; a 3DS Metroidvania, and a Wii U adventure shooter. Have them connect storyline-wise.

Starfox; PROPER Starfox. It's new feature? Light/dark side, with you able to play evil mode (light/dark both have their own stories) as Starwolf. ONLINE multiplayer (they have an online racer MK8, a beat'emup Smash) shooter. Online story mode, online "Lylat System Missions" (can be single player too obviously, and has you being sent on short and fun missions in the Lylat system, which will receive a later DLC expansion pack! Starfox will receive missions from the general, with Starwolf receiving missions from a mysterious unknown). Obviously multiplayer/online battle mode, too.

Online RPG. Let's face it, they completely dropped the ball with DQX. Get Nintendo to fight for the unique rights of the latest Phantasy Star Online or some new version of it. Or hire SE out to make an all ages/family friendly MMO based on Mana "World of Mana". By having it be Mana SE doesn't risk alienating its fans on the other consoles since when was the last time a Mana game came out anyway...?

"BITE SIZE". Remember SNES Satalaview or whatever it was called. Didn't it used to receive bite-sized games, released over time and such? Kinda what some companies are doing now. GET BACK TO THIS. For both 3DS and Wii U. Imagine buying a little combo pack each month (that you could subscribe to) and receiving loads of bite size games a month! I see a Zelda game where each month you receive a dungeon based on themes from that month (holidays, seasons) that runs all year! Mario Bros challenge levels released with best scores and times and such. Each month would have stats with a big leader board of who did best on that months "bite sizes".

I've said it before and I'll say it again; next gen Nintendo needs to release a portable console with the power of a home console that can beam its image to the TV (opposite of what Wii U does) and have its portable/home console be one in the same. It being a portable should be what is promoted (it needs to be shown to be not competing with Sony/Microsoft, their own niche, which is what nintendo wants anyway). Nintendo clearly does NOT have resources to release a steady stream of games for two consoles anymore with how expensive it is now. One console focusing on their strengths (portables...but with the option of using it as a TV console!), and it just being one console they'd have the power to release a steady flow of games ALL YEAR.

Ah, sorry, I wasn't implying that. What I meant was the poor GBA VC results in more people just getting flashcards for the 3DS that already play all the GBA roms.

Maybe they are planning something completely different to Wii U, because after the direct it really does feel as though they're just riding out the storm and only plan on releasing already announced games.

What's even more confusing to me is that, other than Mario Kart and Smash, which are yet to be released, everything looks like it has been rushed out or not exactly had ages spent on it. As great as Mario 3D World was, it was very rigid and direct in comparison to 64/Sunshine and the graphics were pretty much Galaxy graphics in HD. I can't imagine it took them ages to create that.

Then you have the HD remake of Wind Waker which, given the art style, required little to no effort to improve. Pikmin was nearly complete for Wii anyway, right? Then what else is there? Nintendo Land? The Mii art-style helped them save time on that no doubt, along with Wii Party. And DKC could easily been done on Wii and again - IS A 2D PLATFORMER.

I really don't know what they've been doing. And as much as I liked NES Remix to begin with, that seems like a desperate rushed attempt to get something out. Like two developers are desperately beavering away in a basement, losing their minds, ripping their hair out shouting "JUST FLIP IT AND STICK LUIGI ON INSTEAD"

They remade Wind Waker because the visual style was timeless and beautiful, and there were issues with the game that they could easily fix. Plus it was two generations back. It was a good choice for an HD remake. Twilight Princess doesn't need to be remade. You can play it fine on the Wii U already, the art style looks very muddy and dated and the graphics don't need upgrading.

Twilight Princess is just as many generations old as Wind Waker. If it wasn't, it wouldn't have run on the GameCube.

Reasons to support an HD remake:

* 60fps (as opposed to 30fps)

* 1080p (as opposed to 480p, max)

* Widescreen. I know the Wii version was widescreen, but I'm talking about the more 'correct' version.

* Graphics need improving far more than Wind Waker's did. It's a good art style, but the GC/Wii were not 100% able to pull it off. If any proof was needed, look at the amazing E3 2011 demo.

* Many fans have come to realise that the GameCube version was closer to the 'real' TP, but find it hard to obtain (I've got it, but that's not the point). It would be a fantastic asset for the Wii U to have the GameCube version, but in HD.

Maybe they are planning something completely different to Wii U, because after the direct it really does feel as though they're just riding out the storm and only plan on releasing already announced games.

What's even more confusing to me is that, other than Mario Kart and Smash, which are yet to be released, everything looks like it has been rushed out or not exactly had ages spent on it. As great as Mario 3D World was, it was very rigid and direct in comparison to 64/Sunshine and the graphics were pretty much Galaxy graphics in HD. I can't imagine it took them ages to create that.

Then you have the HD remake of Wind Waker which, given the art style, required little to no effort to improve. Pikmin was nearly complete for Wii anyway, right? Then what else is there? Nintendo Land? The Mii art-style helped them save time on that no doubt, along with Wii Party. And DKC could easily been done on Wii and again - IS A 2D PLATFORMER.

I really don't know what they've been doing. And as much as I liked NES Remix to begin with, that seems like a desperate rushed attempt to get something out. Like two developers are desperately beavering away in a basement, losing their minds, ripping their hair out shouting "JUST FLIP IT AND STICK LUIGI ON INSTEAD"

I agree. All the games are like that. The same with Wii Sports U. It's just the original HDified with some online. Nothing more. No evolution. Handed out to Namco, can't wait to release as a package, just fart one out the door as soon as it's ready. The same with New Luigi U, it's NSMBU with rehashed and rearranged assets. The pricing structure as well is unjust. The same with Wind Waker HD. Is it really worth €60 for the amount of work they did? Everything was in place, it's just a HD port. They wouldn't even add in a new dungeon.

Twilight Princess is just as many generations old as Wind Waker. If it wasn't, it wouldn't have run on the GameCube.

Reasons to support an HD remake:

* 60fps (as opposed to 30fps)

* 1080p (as opposed to 480p, max)

* Widescreen. I know the Wii version was widescreen, but I'm talking about the more 'correct' version.

* Graphics need improving far more than Wind Waker's did. It's a good art style, but the GC/Wii were not 100% able to pull it off. If any proof was needed, look at the amazing E3 2011 demo.

* Many fans have come to realise that the GameCube version was closer to the 'real' TP, but find it hard to obtain (I've got it, but that's not the point). It would be a fantastic asset for the Wii U to have the GameCube version, but in HD.

Point is you can pop in a TP disk into a Wii U and play it, you can't do that with a Gamecube version of Wind Waker. Twilight Princess doesn't need any changes in terms of the gameplay, unlike Wind Waker. All they would be doing is up-resing a dated art style into HD, it would be a complete waste of time. The game isn't even that old.

Nintendo themselves said that they ran some tests on TP and concluded that it didn't add much, unlike what they've done with Wind Waker.

Twilight Princess needed a HD remake more than Wind Waker imo because Wind Waker was already timeless whereas Twilight Princess looks absolutely terrible (even then it didn't look great on most TVs). The textures in that game...good lord.