NEurope
DiemetriX

Kojima: PS3 Is Like A Movie Theater, Xbox Is DVD, Wii Is A TV!

Kojima apparently likes to make games as cinematic as possible apparently so it's no surprise he likes to have a ton of power as well as unique control.

There's nothing wrong with what he said though, there are truths to it. He probably doesn't see the 360 as even being part of the equation since he'll be thinking about the Japanese market so he's probably only talking about the PS3 like that because of its power alone. The fact is though Wii will bring a lot of new kinds of gameplay to the table, it also means we're going to be sitting with high end Xbox-esque titles for the next 5 or so years, so it's obvious the ideal system would be one with the new gameplay possibilities of Wii but also the long lasting graphics potential of PS3, that's common sense.

Well if PS3 is a Movie theater..

I consider my local one a complete rip off, so i guess PS3 too is a rip off.

DVD, Dont own many of them, but that means i still have some. I have room for a 360..

TV, the most popular object in the known world. I believe he payed Nintendo a VERY good compliment.

And that is how you twist what some one is saying for your own good :)

that's how it was interpreted before but now aparently he said:

"It will become like television is now. Comedians make an appearance in a quiz-style show -- that's not culture."

This is not a compliment, it's bashing.

If anything PS2 is the current television, because everyone sees it (everyone has one by now), it even has the comedians... "Riiiiiidge Racer", "Hit the weak-point for MASSIVE DAMAGE", "Real time weapon change", "oh we didn't steal the Wiimote... we invented 3D"!!!

I hope you are happy kojima, because you've been showcasing Metal Gear Solid in the last 5 years not on a DVD player, not on a TV... but in a VHS player, that's how I see it.

Betamax should have won over VHS, just like GC and Xbox should against the PS2 if we consider graphics alone.

Kojima apparently likes to make games as cinematic as possible apparently so it's no surprise he likes to have a ton of power as well as unique control.
He had no such power on PS2 and he stated he could easily port MGS4 over to the X360 in the past.

But to say that the PS3 is the future and NOT the Wii. He's basically going for power and visuals over control.

"However, the PS3 is ‘the future.’ The Wii is interesting, but in terms of functions, it’s a machine with past concepts.. The best thing would be a PS3 with controls like the Wii.†- Hideo Kojima"

Sure, he's saying the best thing would be for a console like the PS3 with Wii controls, but he's not really making much of a play for the Wii. A machine with past concepts? 'Interesting'. He doesn't sound very interested, imo.

And correct me if i'm wrong, but hasn't there been a lot of criticism with regards to the PS3, regarding high development costs? Not very encouraging if this is our future.

But to say that the PS3 is the future and NOT the Wii. He's basically going for power and visuals over control.

"However, the PS3 is ‘the future.’ The Wii is interesting, but in terms of functions, it’s a machine with past concepts.. The best thing would be a PS3 with controls like the Wii.” - Hideo Kojima"

Sure, he's saying the best thing would be for a console like the PS3 with Wii controls, but he's not really making much of a play for the Wii. A machine with past concepts? 'Interesting'. He doesn't sound very interested, imo.

And correct me if i'm wrong, but hasn't there been a lot of criticism with regards to the PS3, regarding high development costs? Not very encouraging if this is our future.

If he just wants power and Wii is a "past concept console" why does he think he needs OUR controller on the PS3? he's ridiculous, I mean... I thought the main concept in Wii was the controller itself.

It's not ethic to praise the plagiarism, in the first place, and that's the thing that disgusts me the most, I obviously won't go running after the "katamari damacy" that said the Wii controller didn't interest him, it's a opinion, at least he's not asking to have it on another console while downplaying the source console itself.

I'm truly amazed at how pissed I am.

EDIT: Yes, PS3 was criticized about the development costs, very prohibitive for the smaller developers, that's obviously not a concern for Kojima though. But above all PS3 should be criticized on how dificult it is to program for, Square actually said that if they were to port FF-XI to PS3 like they did to X360 they'd take 3 years, they might be better of doing a new game aswell. I'd love to see some third party multiplatform games not coming for PS3, and come for X360, PC and Wii... that's what they deserve with a philosophy like theirs.

Just because it's his opinion doesn't make it right. When did he got the idea he was elite? He made a fucking 3 games series, which latetly has the same appeal as Ants in the Pants.

His sence of culture is very peculiar, especially since the TV is the main distributor of culture around the world.

Fucking Steven Spielberg wannabe.

Just because it's his opinion doesn't make it right. When did he got the idea he was elite? He made a fucking 3 games series, which latetly has the same appeal as Ants in the Pants.

His sence of culture is very peculiar, especially since the TV is the main distributor of culture around the world.

Fucking Steven Spielberg wannabe.

Best Hideo Kojima summary ever :bouncy:

Where does he get all his credit from? What games has he made that were so fantastic? Was it Metal Gear Solid 1 or what? It's always been a mystery to me why he's praised so much while all he really wants is to make movies.

Best Hideo Kojima summary ever :bouncy:

Where does he get all his credit from? What games has he made that were so fantastic? Was it Metal Gear Solid 1 or what? It's always been a mystery to me why he's praised so much while all he really wants is to make movies.

Well the Metal Gear series IS absolutely amazing, but i can kind of see where you're coming from with that comment, because the biggest thing he's done is metal gear and i don't know what else he has done.

He already was treated as a legend at the time Metal Gear Solid 2 was in development, and Metal Gear Solid 1 wasn't that well received. Perhaps it was just the ridiculous Sony hype again - Metal Gear Solid 2 had a real big stupid cloud of hype surrounding it.

Zone of the enders, Snatcher, Policenauts: all exceptional games, lets not forget boktai...

I find it ridiculous that graphic power is what's viewed as the future for gaming. If Wii doesn't make it, gaming will become very boring in the next years.

Let me get this straight, he is making a very expensive game for the ps3, he knows the wii will sell a lot, hes merely trying to divert attention to his game that happens to be on the ps3.

I dont see why he needs to, 90% of everyone buying the ps3 is because of mgs4.

Also to add:

Mgs is a series of hollywood quality, it excels at presentation and story, and also makes fun gameplay. He is not the innovator, fans demand a mgs game of the highest quality, and truth be told, the wii could not do that.

Metal gear solid 2 came out before the xbox, it was unvieled almost the same time as the ps2 itself, by that time Kojima was comfortable with working with the ps2 hence why he made mgs3 exclusivly on the ps2, im certain if he spent the same time making it for xbox it wouldnt be as great as it is now.

mgs2 is on the xbox, its a bad port. he used things on the ps2 that was not possible to do on the xbox.

he is doing the same thing with mgs4, sure he could port it to 360, but then again, lets compare max payne 2 on the pc then max payne 2 on the ps2, its an extreme example. but its a port. draw your own conclusion. At the end of the day, he is making games for the fans, he says as long as fans demand it he will make it. He does make innovative games, lets look at boktai, it uses sun sensors etc etc, you know the rest.

You don't know what Hideo Kojima has done apart from MGS? Then you can basically tell that you don't play much other than Nintendo consoles.

bookerman, yeah the PS3 is probably the more suited console for MGS4, I don't argue with that.

I find it ridiculous that graphic power is what's viewed as the future for gaming. If Wii doesn't make it, gaming will become very boring in the next years.

Do you actually believe this, or do you say this because it is Nintendo's motive.

What I mean is, Nintendo used to rule the gaming market perfectly fine with standard videogame controls, then the Playstation franchise took control because of it's extra multi-media functions, because it was more than just a games console. Nintendo have realised that with the Gamecube that they cannot 'win' by simply do the same thing as Playstation.

Iwata has taken control of Nintendo very well, he has dropped the stubborness that Yamauchi possessed and has been able to repair and create new relationships with other companies. He has also realised that Nintendo are extremely good at introducing new methods of gameplay so maybe the could finally succeed if they make it their new consoles focus. At the cost of this Nintendo has had to sacrifice graphics for gameplay.

Therefore Hellfire you are a fanboy of Nintendo because of the games they used to make. Then wouldnt you be a lot happier if they kept making the same games? No because remember what I have stated, you are a fanboy and you believe that everything that Nintendo does is right. I remember you telling me I was an idiot because I thought the name 'Wii' was crap, and the name actually still is crap. Just because Nintendo says playing = believing doesn't mean it's true. The Wii could be the saviour of Nintendo just as much as it could be its downfall. So don't predict that gaming is going to get very boring because the PS2 had a lot better games than the Gamecube and the PS3 could prove to be better than the Wii.

Oh yeah and MGS4 is going to rock (now I just need £500 pounds...).

Lunar knights and botakia are made by kojima.

oh ok.i also forgot about the original metal gear for nes!

snip

Seriously, I couldn't live through the day if people like you didn't make me laugh.

Do you realise that some people can actually like Nintendo because they agree with what they do, instead of agreeing with Nintendo because you like them?

Is it that unbelievable that people who have been playing games for 15 years or more can be tired of playing the same old stuff over and over again? I'm not saying I'll stop playing games that are controlled traditionally, but the thing is, most of them are just soulless, boring bland sequels or clones. No one tries new ideas anymore. When a game is exceptionally well made I don't mind if it's not innovative, but this is getting rarer and rarer. Let's look at this gen. We had Super Monkey Ball, Katamari Damacy, rythm games like Guitar Hero and Donkey Konga,Chibi Robo,Colossus,VJ... What do they have in common? They're fresh. Most of them have "bad" graphics (even though they're all graphically pleasing, Colossus looks great, but it has many graphical flaws). The developers didn't focus on making awesome graphics they focused on the whole package. Colossus and VJ blend new gameplay ideas with a great visual style, Katamari Damacy is simplisitc, but fun as hell. And looks at the DS and PSP. Ds games are lacking graphically compared to PSP, but what about the difference of quality games in each system? Devs focus too much on pushing "PS2 graphics" and the rest doesn't matter. Hell, the best games are Loco Roco, Katamari and Lumines, hardly a wonder of graphical design. We're seeing this with PS3 and 360 too. It's just graphics, the rest is the same as it always was.

Wii on the other hand make developers think and try to do something new. Of course that it could be better with PS3 graphics, but could it achieve the desired crowd with a high price tag? I'm satisfied with Wii's power, since its a better GC and GC does wonders. What I meant with Wii failing is not sales wise, it's games wise. Most games, specially at first, will probably have stupid "gimmicks" (god I hate this word) or the wiimote will be terribly handled and that's what I'm afraid of. Nowadays, most games are failing to capture my attention and I'm getting bored with gaming. DS saved me from that and I hop Wii can do that. PS3 can do some cool stuff with tilt, unfortunately I'm not rich.

I want MGS4, I want Blue Dragon, I want RE5 and I'm keeping my eye out for Too Human, but frankly they don't excite me. Now if you wanna look all cool and keep saying I'm a fanboy go ahead, I don't care, but don't insult me because I think differently than you.

EDIT: Oh and I think GC has much more great games than PS2 does that make me stupid?

EDIT: Oh and I think GC has much more great games than PS2 does that make me stupid?

I would have to say ps2 is better but I don't think your stupid, there both great consles.

Hellfire I didn't call you stupid, I called you a fanboy.

I'm not insulting you, I am just saying what you are because you do bite people's heads off a lot when they disagree with Nintendo.

It's like calling a poor person 'poor', it's not an insult, it's just stating a fact.

Oh yeah and:

Is it that unbelievable that people who have been playing games for 15 years or more can be tired of playing the same old stuff over and over again? I'm not saying I'll stop playing games that are controlled traditionally, but the thing is, most of them are just soulless, boring bland sequels or clones.

I'm just asking would you still think this if Nintendo never decided to go down the path of making the Wii, would you actually be disagreeing with Nintendo if they decided to make an extremely powerful console like the PS3.

I didn't mean to insult you, or make you laugh...

Also to add:

Mgs is a series of hollywood quality, it excels at presentation and story, and also makes fun gameplay. He is not the innovator, fans demand a mgs game of the highest quality, and truth be told, the wii could not do that.

The Wii is perfectly capable of running a high quality Metal Gear game, just like the NES, PS1, PS2, GC and even Game Boy Color did before it. It all boils down to what Kojima thinks will make him the most money, which im sure at the time he decided that would be the PS3

You know what, I like Kojima, and think he is a god of a games designer, but saying that a PS3 with Wii controls is the dummest thing i've ever heard. Hell, everyone would like that, in fact it would be near aboout the greatest console of all time (for the consumer, programming would be a b***h). But he's forgetting a little thing called money. The reason Nintendo haven't made a powerhouse system is because of the cost. It's almost like he's saying Nintendo chose a lower powered system for preference, not cost.

Oh and I agree with Hellfire. Not necessarily if the Wii fails, but if the idea of inovation fails, then the game market will crash, because of what I like to call the "E.T. formula". I don't think I need to explain. It just happens to be that Nintendo are the ones innovating.

So don't predict that gaming is going to get very boring because the PS2 had a lot better games than the Gamecube and the PS3 could prove to be better than the Wii.

Haha funniest shit I've read in a while:grin:

Hellfire I didn't call you stupid, I called you a fanboy.

I'm not insulting you, I am just saying what you are because you do bite people's heads off a lot when they disagree with Nintendo.

Interesting because you're biting my head off, because I don't agree with you. If you have some kind of grudge because of the Wii name, whatever, but I'm free to express my opinion.

And to be honest, before Wii was revealed I was getting worried, because Zeldas and Marios would eventually become stale even if they were great games, this soothed my worries.

Hellfire, if you actually understood my second post, I was trying to smoothen things out between us, I was trying to tell you that i did not mean to offend you in any way if i did.

I was just trying to get across a simple question:

"Would your opinion be different if Nintendo's new console was different aswell, or would you be annoyed that Nintendo aren't focusing on gameplay?"

And I am in no way trying to bite your head off.

I see where McMad's coming from Hellfire - anytime dicussion hits innovativity or Wii graphics, you always like to exactly quote Nintendo. It's pretty naive to say that graphics in all don't matter anymore, like you like to say every single time a discussion like that comes up. It's also naive to say that the innovativity of the controller immediately takes games to a new, better level of gameplay. For all we know the Wiimote might actually not be useful enough, making the Wii end up like a DS, which isn't quite the innovativity we'd all have longed for. I personally think that the additional power in the 360 and PS3 can be capable of new experiences - the consoles are in no way the same as last generation. The lack of progress in control doesn't make them old.