NEurope
Fierce_LiNk

The GameCube...or rather, the GREATCUBE!

So, the GameCube - not nostalgia, not hindsight, just a brilliant console. My heart sank when I saw the direction in which Nintendo was heading afterwards. It could be argued they gained an audience, but lost a following.

Brilliantly put.

dhMeAzK.gif

This goes as my nomination for thread of the year award at the end of 2014.

I love the posts in this thread and the appreciative posts towards the Cube. It was and is without a doubt my favorite console purely on the game catalogue it has. It's stunning.

It was the Nintendo console that started to make amends with game developers lost, Final Fantasy, Metal Gear, Resident Evil & exclusive Namco RPG's on this cube of magic. It was unbelievable.

It was a console where I could showcase my collection to my friends who didn't own a cube and they were jealous. The Capcom 5 (which unfortunately did lose exclusivity in some form, but meh) garnered so much jealously from my friends who were rather anti Nintendo. Yea that's right bitches I'm playing a friggin sweetly polished new version of the original Resident Evil, and yeah that's right I'm gunna be playing Resident Evil Mother fucking 4!

Not to mention Viewtiful Joe!!

And who would of thought that EA would be so friendly, SSX featuring Mario characters, Fightnight featuring Little Mac, NBA Street featuring Mario characters.... awesome.

R Racing from Namco with it's exclusive pacman mini game (albeit needing some GBA's to work) It was amazing to see this console getting this much love.

And that's not even mentioning Nintendo's great first party offering, constantly building relations with other developers and putting enough trust in them to let them work on Nintendo's beloved franchises such as F Zero, Starfox, Metroid. Stunning stunning games.

Oh How I wish that momentum was with the Wii U as it's the console with enough power to make those already stunning looking games look even better. I drool thinking of F Zero, Starfox, Metroid with the power the Wii U can pump out.

I'm in work, so can't remember my full collection, but I can say that to date it's my 2nd largest collection for a console behind the Xbox360. I loved it so much.

Really great posts. I'm glad that somebody also mentioned the gameboy player. I had no idea that Twilight Princess was a gamecube game as well as a Wii game. I don't have twilight princess for either systems and now I'm going to keep my eyes open for it. I really like the gamecube controls as well, I find them really comfortable.

Hmm...I'm usually more nostalgic towards the NES and N64, but now that I read this thread I have to say that the GC was indeed a cool console. I think it was a perfect mix between Nintendo's own games and 3rd party stuff, plus the controller is amazing. Quite a lot of cool games, like Wave Race, Rogue Squadron, Sunshine, Wind Waker, Master Quest, Mario Kart, Smash Bros, F-Zero, Metroid Primes, TimeSplitters, Paper Mario TYD, Eternal Darkness, Animal Crossing, Beach Spikers, Doshin the Giant, Gauntlet, Phantasy Stars, Soul Calibur, Prince of Persia, Ikaruga, Gladius, Tales of Symphonia, Starfox Adventures, Viewtiful Joe, Day of Reckonings, Tony Hawks, Naruto fighting games etc...

There's your variety right there! Both serious and more wacky, realistic and cartoony games. Sports, platforming, rpgs, flying, fighting, racing, adventure, co-op, shooting, gardening, you name it! It was also the first home console I saved up money for and bought completely on my own, still remember the sunny day I walked into the store and picked up the jet black wonder machine...

Bottom line: GC, u kool bro.

Edited by Ville

The GC frustrated the hell out of me after the initial batch of awesome. No PES in the UK was galling and the loss of Rare meant it didn't meet the affection I had for the N64/SNES. It also didn't get any of the 3D GTA's, which at the time was really annoying seeing as it was huge at the time. At least EA were solid and committed (at first) so SSX, Tiger Woods, NBA V3, FIFA were interesting.

Nintendo's core titles were bizarre too. Sunshine, Wind Waker, Pikmin, Mario Kart, DK, Metroid, Star Fox. All bizarrely different from their previous iterations which make them interesting in hindsight, but a bit weird at the time.

F-Zero was joyous (OST ftw) but rip-roaringly hardcore and Melee was God tier.

Had the best racing series on a Nintendo console though...

Dat music. Fracking superb blasting in DD 5.1.

When I lived in Cyprus had this on USB for car stereo. Gorgeous blasting through the mountains. Memories!

Edited by tapedeck