NEurope
Dante

DS/DSi General Discussion

Nintendo will release a new model of the Nintendo DS portable game machine this year. For the first time, it will include a camera and music playback functionality.

The wireless functionality of the machine will also be strengthened, allowing it to connect to "information terminals."

Since the DS was released 4 years ago, it has sold 77,000,000 units worldwide. It seems as if the new model will go outside the boundaries of the "game business" to compete with devices like mobile phones.

Images that you take with the camera could be used by games. The music playback function will be able to take music from CDs and other sources and play it back.

The print version in the photograph adds this paragraph:

The price of the new model, like the current 16,800 yen [DS Lite], will be under 20,000 yen. It will first be released in Japan, and overseas releases are under consideration.

47259_00000000_122_478lo.jpg

47264_lib056832_122_729lo.jpg

47270_lib056842_122_146lo.jpg

Source: Nikkei Net, Nikkei newspaper and Monex

TOKYO (Reuters) - Japanese video game maker Nintendo Co Ltd plans to launch a new model of its DS handheld machine that can take pictures and play music by the end of the year, the Nikkei business daily said on Sunday.

The move would pit the top-selling portable game gear with Apple Inc iPod and camera-embedded cellphones in general.

The price for the new machine, which will also be equipped with advanced wireless communications functions, is expected to be below 20,000 yen ($189) in Japan, compared with 16,800 yen for the current model, the Nikkei said.

The Wii game console and DS have been Nintendo's twin growth engines, helping its share price to grow more than three-fold over the past three years.

The DS far outsells Sony Corp's rival machine, PlayStation Portable (PSP), globally.

But in Japan, the PSP's unit sales exceeded the DS's in five consecutive months through July, according to game magazine publisher Enterbrain, in a potential sign of slowing momentum for the current DS model.

Nintendo officials were not immediately available for comment.

($1=105.97 Yen)

(Reporting by Kiyoshi Takenaka; Editing by Jacqueline Wong)

http://www.reuters.com/article/technologyNews/idUSTRE48R09X20080928

It must be true if Reuters say so, although they do call it a "game gear"!

I'm quite keen on this. Of course, I'd prefer a DS 2 (let's hope it is!), but I'll still probably buy this if it's a good enough design. I certainly thought the Game Boy Micro was fantastic and well worth doing.

A feature which i think would benefit the new DS, if it is real, would be a password and a diary/callendar system.

You would sign your name to get in, or pull up an emergency panel if you couldn't replicate your signiture.

Gonintendo is saying it's true now? Where was this confirmed 100%?

Because it is on Nikkei Net front page and NOE are starting to sell music.

The NoE music thing is still totally irrelevant for all we know. Don't believe anything until Nintendo reports it.

The music thing just appears to be a partnership for 'free' music, I very much doubt it's related to this.

Larger screens? Built-in digital camera? Stronger wireless connection? I am all ears. This is great news. I am tired of the smaller DS Lite anyway, however cool it may be.

I never upgraded to the lite, so as long as this comes out next year, I'll buy one.

Could this perhaps be an Apple Style leak of what we're meant to see at the Nintendo event next week?

Cool I am going to get this I got a DS Lite and I am going to sell it to get this one.

Officially, this is this unconfirmed and until I see the confirmation, I'll take this with a grain of salt. While the PSP has gained a lot of ground this past year, especially in Japan, I still dont think it's necessary for Nintendo to release a new model. It's still the best selling piece of gaming hardware as we speak worldwide!

A built-in camera sounds plausible though, perhaps they're bringing in Matsushita (Panasonic) again and have them make the camera + music player and make it a real high-end model. How about an aluminum casing instead of glossy plastic? :D

Should it have an SD card slot (I doubt it), then we may see VC games being played on the DS. Now THAT would be awesome! Technically, the DS is about equal to an N64, so we may be able to play games ranging from 8-bit games to 64-bit games, maybe even Neo-Geo titles :o

If rumours about bigger screens are true, they may go for a 4:3 ratio or at least can have an 4:3 image fit the new screen. It would then allow all VC games to be played without cropping or stretching.

All right, I guess I'm being hopeful now. It's still filed under RUMOR. So I'll see what's being revealed, if anything at all! I just hope there's enough new software that gets us excited about as Wii AND DS users.

Bigger screens would make DS games look worse and adding camera and music playback would make the DS go really slow wouldn't it? if i play music on my DS it dosen't exactly like doing it.

The GBA micro was a disaster, apple make new ipods all the time an no-one complains and as long as a 'DS2' had an original DS slot how could people complain?

I'm crossing my fingers for a completely new DS.

The Game Boy Micro is superb, I think. It has by far the best screen out of all the GBAs and it's more ergonomic than the DS Lite.

The Game Boy Micro is superb, I think. It has by far the best screen out of all the GBAs and it's more ergonomic than the DS Lite.

The micro did have a better screen and was a nice little thing but it still did rubbish cuz most people were happy with the're SP's, i'm sure that would be the case again with DS if it's another face-lift... lots of people have already said they are happy with their lites

Also, the Micro had odd timing, as the DS was already out. Personally, I bought the original GBA and the Micro - purely personal circumstances meant I wasn't interested in gaming when the SP was out (I've played my friend's though).

dsi2.jpg

Launching November 1st 2008 in Japan, here's what has been revealed about the Nintendo DSi:

Two 3.25-inch screens - 17% bigger than the DS Lite model.

One 3-megapixel camera, maximum resolution 640x480 (photos editable using stylus).

No GBA support...

... replaced by an SD slot!

Overall 3.25 inches thick - 12% thinner than the DS Lite.

Opera web browser now built-in as part of the firmware.

Downloadable games, known as DSiWare (storable on SD)

Some DSiWare free, others will cost 200/500/800 Points, with 1000 initially free to all.

Improved audio capabilities - pitch and playback options added.

Releasing in black and white "flavours".

http://www.n-europe.com/news.php?nid=12393

Well the rumours are true... dont need a camera got a good enough one already...the SD card interested me... I had heard it may have improved wifi as well if it allows WAP connections then I'm there...

i'm really, really not interested in the camera. A DS is not going to replace my need for a mobile, any my mobile has a 5megapixel camera- i've seen a Samsung with 8 megapixel, so this just aint impressive.

The inclusion of a DS shop is superb- hopefully, we'll see some line of GBA port/SD adaptor for the Lite. Oh, and better speakers- about frigging time.

So no guitar hero for dsi then? I mean there are a few slot two add ons that are going to be pretty much useless now.