NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Grazza

Etrian Mystery Dungeon (11 Sept)

Atlus has just announced a couple of new games. First off is Etrian Odyssey X Mystery Dungeon. I didn't play Mystery Dungeon: Shiren the Wanderer, but I assume this game takes its overworld exploration from that. Whether or not it's released in the West, it's sure to be one of the better RPGs on the system.

In even better news, they also announced Etrian Odyssey V (IV was brilliant), although this is not confirmed for 3DS (new Nintendo handheld incoming?)

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2014/11/atlus_confirms_etrian_odyssey_x_mystery_dungeon_and_reveals_etrian_odyssey_v_teaser

Edited by Grazza
title

Yes, this is indeed relevant to my interests :D

This seems like a crossover that could make a lot of sense...

... but I wouldn't take the lack of a platform listing to mean anything. Of course it's gonna be a 3DS game - the New3DS only just bloody came out for goodness sake :laughing: They just don't have anything to actually show yet.

Etrian Mystery Dungeon confirmed for Autumn 2015 release in Europe by NIS America. A boxed version will be available.

Atlus has just announced a couple of new games. First off is Etrian Odyssey X Mystery Dungeon. I didn't play Mystery Dungeon: Shiren the Wanderer, but I assume this game takes its overworld exploration from that. Whether or not it's released in the West, it's sure to be one of the better RPGs on the system.

Pity you never played Shiren. Its a great game, honestly. Have you played any Mystery Dungeon or roguelike games? They aren't the sort of games you can brute force, they make you think around lots of problems. You have to learn to be zen about item hoarding and come to embrace the idea of using items when you need them. When you die its goodnight Vienna for your level and item stash (though there are some persistent things) so you take a deep breath, think what you learned and go again.

In even better news, they also announced Etrian Odyssey V (IV was brilliant), although this is not confirmed for 3DS (new Nintendo handheld incoming?)

There should so have been a Wii U Etrian Odyssey by now.

PS @\-Dem0\- @Ike @Rummy any chance of changing the thread title? :)

Edited by darksnowman

Pity you never played Shiren. Its a great game, honestly. Have you played any Mystery Dungeon or roguelike games? They aren't the sort of games you can brute force, they make you think around lots of problems. You have to learn to be zen about item hoarding and come to embrace the idea of using items when you need them. When you die its goodnight Vienna for your level and item stash (though there are some persistent things) so you take a deep breath, think what you learned and go again.

No, I haven't played any of them at all, but I'm really looking forward to this. I reckon I'll be one of the few playing it whilst most are busy with Super Mario Maker. :)

What you describe doesn't sound too unlike Etrian Odyssey. Is there a huge difference? I'm not too much of an item hoarder anyway - EO has taught me to use a Medica when needed, because they won't be that useful whilst fighting the post-game bosses anyway!

There should so have been a Wii U Etrian Odyssey by now.

Well... actually, I'm glad there wasn't. I really hope V is on the next handheld.

PS @\-Dem0\- @Ike @Rummy any chance of changing the thread title? :)

Oh yeah, it's just "Etrian Mystery Dungeon" now.

Edited by Grazza

No, I haven't played any of them at all, but I'm really looking forward to this. I reckon I'll be one of the few playing it whilst most are busy with Super Mario Maker. :)

What you describe doesn't sound too unlike Etrian Odyssey. Is there a huge difference? I'm not too much of an item hoarder anyway - EO has taught me to use a Medica when needed, because they won't be that useful whilst fighting the post-game bosses anyway!

Hmm, I'd say its very unlike EO but then. In Shiren the Wanderer (which as far as I know, is the 'vanilla' Mystery Dungeon game) nothing is persistent. Well, next to nothing. You head into these randomly generated floors with nothing except a hunger item if you choose to get it, and you are at the mercy of the game from there on. You pick up whatever weapons are lying around and push through as many floors as you can. Upon dying, you are sent back to the the first town, back to level 1 and your inventory emptied. The only thing that isn't wiped out is your knowledge of why you died. So you can head back out again, armed with that intel and try to push a bit further through a new assortment of randomly generated floors. The entire game is turn based by the way. Every square you move is a turn, every action you carry out is a turn. So, if you stand on the spot, the enemies will remain static too until you make a move. If and when you find yourself in a pickle, you can sit and look at it and go through your inventory until you are finally ready to try something.

Shiren isn't 25 floors of endless dungeon. It is divided with a few villages to break it up. Over time the course of time, its in the villages where you can make a difference. Talk to the villagers and help them and they will help you with item upgrades and warehouses so you can store items to pick up on future runs. You can also collect sidekicks who will improve the more times you find them. There was also an online option where if you fall in the dungeon, you can opt to lie there and hope someone comes to revive you.

Check this out, it says everything better than I can. Actually, I should have looked already to see what Jeremy Parish had to say about Etrian Mystery Dungeon seeing as its out Stateside. Thinking about Shiren and how the formula might be applied and reskinned with Etrian might just have been a waste of time.

Once you hit the fourth dungeon, around 10 hours into the adventure, EMD finally reveals its true colors. At this point, you learn about Forts and D.O.E.s, and suddenly the nature of the entire game changes to become something quite unlike either of the franchises from which it draws its design. By broad strokes, EMD combines the rules and format of a Mystery Dungeon title with the aesthetics and combat concepts of Etrian Odyssey, bringing two diametrically opposed RPG families together. Once D.O.E.s enter the picture, however, the game suddenly hinges on the ever-present dynamic threat that these monsters represent.

http://www.usgamer.net/articles/etrian-mystery-dungeon-3ds-review-terror-from-the-deep

Reading his entire review, it appears that EMD is its own beast and not just a reskinned Shiren clone.

You pick up whatever weapons are lying around and push through as many floors as you can.

Even that? Now that I did not expect.

Sounds like a very unusual series, but probably worth giving a go.

No permadeath is music to my ears! I love roguelike gameplay, but I simply don't have the patience to start all over again from level 1 each time I get bumrushed to death.

Edited by Dcubed

No permadeath is music to my ears! I love roguelike gameplay, but I simply don't have the patience to start all over again from level 1 each time I get bumrushed to death.

Yet he loves it in Fire Emblem!

Yeah, but I have to agree. If there was anything like Shinren's "back to Level 1" thing, I would have not wanted it.

Definitely will give it a try in that case, it'd be rude not to given I adore the Pokemon Mystery Dungeon series.

Yeah, but I have to agree. If there was anything like Shinren's "back to Level 1" thing, I would have not wanted it.

Definitely will give it a try in that case, it'd be rude not to given I adore the Pokemon Mystery Dungeon series.

Just consider it your replacement for PKMD this year ;)

Even that? Now that I did not expect.

Sounds like a very unusual series, but probably worth giving a go.

Shiren the Wanderer is great. I'm just basing my assumptions off how it works. As we know, Etrian Odyssey doesn't hold back when it comes to difficulty so I doubt EMD will be dumbed down. They could have added shops to buy gear - we shall see. (I haven't read too heavily up on EMD - I'd rather get stuck into it for myself.)

Casual. :indeed:

Again, casual. :indeed:

Shiren is great. Yes, its punishing but not unfairly so, imo. There are things in Shiren that persist between runs and reverting to level 1 doesn't make anything impossible because the floors are balanced out to be progressively more difficult to match you starting at level 1. How do the Pokémon Mystery Dungeon games deal with things? I've played none of them, but from what I read they seem to be kiddy games. :heh: I have Izuna for the DS which is okay.

Shiren is great. Yes, its punishing but not unfairly so, imo. There are things in Shiren that persist between runs and reverting to level 1 doesn't make anything impossible because the floors are balanced out to be progressively more difficult to match you starting at level 1. How do the Pokémon Mystery Dungeon games deal with things? I've played none of them, but from what I read they seem to be kiddy games. :heh: I have Izuna for the DS which is okay.

The first two PKMD games strip you of all the money that you carried into the dungeon and most of the items you were carrying when you died (it's random which couple of items or so you keep; no distinction is made between equipment and consumables in that respect). You keep the experience you gained though and are put into the same state that you were prior to entering that specific dungeon (sans the items and money you took in with you).

Gates to Infinity is more lenient though and you'll only lose some of your money and items (too lenient for my liking).

Personally I can see the appeal of the Shiren games, but I just simply don't have the patience for them myself. Far too much of a timesink. PKMD and (from the sounds of things) Etrian Mystery Dungeon seem just about right for me though :)

Edited by Dcubed

How do the Pokémon Mystery Dungeon games deal with things? I've played none of them, but from what I read they seem to be kiddy games.

DCubed is right on the money. Also, the sheer number of Pokemon make for a insane amount of team combinations.

But kiddy? The series makes the mainline Pokemon games look a joke when it comes to difficulty. Especially if you go for the optional Level 1 dungeons. Which are pretty much what you like actually. You get put in at Level 1 with very little items (Sometimes none) and you've gotta go through an absolute juggernaut of a dungeon. So there's definitely some challenge there if you go for it.

Kiddy might be going a little bit too far. Especially if you look at the story.

Explorers of Sky has suicidal thoughts (Albeit implied, gotta keep that PEGI 3 rating after all!) and flat-out bodily posession!

Generally, the whole series has been getting steadily darker (Ignoring the Japan-only WiiWare version) as it goes along and I love it!

Most of the villains in Gates to Infinity skirt dangerously close to being a suicide cult.

To be honest, TV Tropes "Darker and Edgier" page sums it up very nicely.

But there are spoilers galore there, so I'll leave it.

I only really read about the first Pokémon Mystery Dungeon entry (it was red and blue, iirc?) and it sounded pretty meh. Maybe back then the reviewers (that I read) didn't understand the roguelike concept? ::shrug: It's quite possible. Shiren DS didn't have masses of party members to worry about - you could add three others to your party if you came across them during your dungeon crawl and that was it. With Etrian Mystery Dungeon incorporating the guild idea to create your party, that should be one aspect you two, @Glen\-i, are already more familiar with than I am.

You weren't hyped already? :( It's a new EO game man!

I know, but the anticipating of seeing the character portraits of Protector, Landsknecht etc as true 3D models has sent me into overdrive! :laughing:

I know, but the anticipating of seeing the character portraits of Protector, Landsknecht etc as true 3D models has sent me into overdrive! :laughing:

Not long to go! Here's the lowdown on the Add-on content:

Find a wanderer for me - €1.79/£1.59

Know the Red Pookas - €1.79/£1.59

Find a princess for me - €1.79/£1.59

Find a landsknecht for me - €1.34/£1.19

Slay the Gold Guardians - €1.34/£1.19

They look like throwaway wastes of time to me :zzz:

Single quests in a game like this are so pointless.

Recipes aren't all that interesting - in Untold, they generally give you a temporary enhancement (eg. more EXP, more chance of drops). Not exactly sure what Potions are in this context, but they don't sound too essential.

The one that bothers me is the Gold Guardian quest. The Nugget and Gold Fragment are sure to unlock new equipment/weapons, which might make the difference in a boss fight. I might have to shell out £1.19 :shakehead.

Pretty good review there. The guy seems to know what he's talking about, rather than being a newbie to the Mystery Dungeon concept.

Pretty good review there. The guy seems to know what he's talking about, rather than being a newbie to the Mystery Dungeon concept.

It wasn't Andre doing the narrating, which instantly makes it a good review. :D

Sign in to follow this