NEurope
Hero-of-Time

Dragon Quest Heroes (PS3/PS4)

I got this yesterday ( cancelled my Shopto order who were charging £42.99 and ordered from Simply Games for £29.99 ) and have had an amazing time on it. Think i've ploughed around 14 hours into it so far.

The presentation in the game is gorgeous. Everything has that vibrant, cartoony look to it that the DQ series is famous for. The music is also top notch, with many classic tunes making their return. The voice over work is hilariously funny. Finally being able to hear all the characters talk in their accents is fantastic! The main guy reminds me of Gordon Ramsey for some reason, minus the swearing, of course. :D

There is a MASSIVE amount of stuff to do in the game. On first glance the game may seem like a Dynasty Warriors type of game but it shares more in common with things like tower defence games, Pokemon and action RPGs.

During the battle, you usually have to defend something. The enemies will come at you at all sides and, at first, you will wonder how in the hell you are supposed to cover all the paths. This is where the Pokemon type of thing comes into play.

When you defeat an enemy there is a chance that they will turn into a coin. When you pick up the coin you can then use this enemy in battle. Some only do a large attack and then sod off, while others are sentries and will hold the ground that you use them on. This being the case, you can place monsters at choke points, while you run off in another direction and take care of the enemies trying to flank you.

At the start of the game you can only hold on to a few monsters but by doing sidequests you can increase the slots you have so that you can carry more around with you at one one time.

When it comes to attacking with you main character, this is where it plays a bit play the DW games. You can hack and slash your way through the enemies or even unleash magic attacks. Which magic attacks you have available depends on how you spend your skill points but more on that later.

Each character has a special attack. There is a meter that fills up as you attack enemies. If time allows, you can actually hold down a button and charge it manually. It takes longer and your character is vunerable to attack, as he stands there charhing up DBZ style. Once fully charged you can unleash your energy and go on a rampage. During this limited time your character is invincible and you have an endless amount of magic at your disposal. After the time is up, your character then unleashes his or hers final move, which can wipe out a crazy amount of enemies at one time.

On the battlefield you have 4 characters to switch between. This makes it much more fun and varied than, say, Hyrule Warriors, where you were stuck to using one character at a time. You can use this to your advantage by using all the magic in one character, building the special meter, using said special and then switch to another character and repeat.

While there are plenty on story mission to do, there are also maps to find which unlock other missions. Also, once you finish a story mission you can then go back to that area and fight the monsters for exp and materials. There's no obejective to do, you just kill the stuff and the cast Evac to go back to base.

When gaining exp you have the ability to put skill points into various stat upgrades and moves for each of your characters. You can also reset these stats ( for a price, of course ) in case your character build isn't what you ae after.

The Alchemy Pot is back from the previous DQ games. When the monsters you defeat drop an item, you take these back to the alchemy fella and he can whip up some good accessories for you and your team.

There's also a guy who collects mini medals. He will sell you various rare weapons, recipes and ingredients, in exchange for the mini medals. These can be found in treasure chests around the maps and also be dropped by enemies.

Speaking of mini medals, there is a woman at your base you dishes them out for various things. Each of the PSN trophies is connected to an accolade in the game. By unlocking th etrophies, you unlock an accolade, which will give you a mini medal. She also tracks have many of each monster you have killed and for every 100 she will give you a mini medal, with the maximum being 5.

Next to her is another lady who dishes out sidequests. These range from collecting a certain amount of items from enemies or killing a set amount of enemies. You can take on around 8 quests at a time and these can be done as you are simply progressing through the story.

The game is an absolute piece of work. It's so much better than what Hyrule Warriors was. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed that game but this just seems to take everything that was in that game and make it better.

@S\.C\.G I highly recommend picking it up.

@Hero\-of\-Time. :)

I was super tempted to pick this up actually, but having so many other games on the go at the moment I decided against it.

Almost finished Uncharted 2 now though, so I may just grab this anyway and see if I can squeeze it into October. :D

I got this yesterday ( cancelled my Shopto order who were charging £42.99 and ordered from Simply Games for £29.99 ) and have had an amazing time on it. Think i've ploughed around 14 hours into it so far.

Was that for the Day One Edition? If so that's a pretty good deal (The Day One is a little bit underwhelming though) . I should have done the same but I didn't and ended up keeping my preorder with SHopto. Incoming Shopto rant but I also bought Dragonball Z Extreme Butoden on the 3DS and Shopto charged £29.99. The game is £22.99 at Amazon and GAME, I left my preorder with Shopto expecting them to price match like they have in the past but they never did. Ordered Tales of Zesteria from them as well which I probably could have gotten cheaper elsewhere as well.

Mostly my fault for not shopping around but Shopto's prices haven't been great lately.

Can't even change my card details without cancelling all my preorders (which I might do now anyway).

Anyway...

@Ike how did you enjoy the game?

Yeah I like the game a lot, like you I prefer it over Hyrule Warriors which I loved. It's a great piece of fan service. Glad to her you enjoyed it, was wondering if anyone else was picking this up, I'm sure you'll be pleased to hear Heroes 2 has already been announced (they originally announced it April 1st which caused some confusion :p).

I stopped playing the Japanese version shortly after getting Jessica & Yangus and wait for the English version so there's still quite a bit new to me. The nice thing about the English release is that it has all the Japanese DLC included, which includes an extra character.

My parents just dropped off my Collectors Edition I ordered from the SE store. They packed it pretty well so the box arrived intact which was nice. (the copy from Shopto was a backup in case this copy got delivered late). I'll post some pics tomorrow.

Not really had a chance to play it yet since I had someone round to fit my wardrobes but managed to sneak in 45 minutes using remote play on my Vita.

Luceus sounds like he's voiced by the same guy who voiced Shulk in Xenoblade Chronicles, not sure if it the same guy.

Looking forward to my English play through.

Yeah, was the Day One edition. The weapons you get off it are pants though. You get better ones not long after you start the game! :D

I'm rocking Luceus, Bianca ( her plasma dome move is a BEAST! ), Alena and the King, who's name escapes me at the moment.

Did you try out Kiryl in the Japanese version? His special move is hilarious!

As for Shopto, they've completely lost the plot in terms of their pricing. The Game Collection, Amazon and Simply Games are far better now. Even GAME seem to have better prices than them at the moment.

Yeah, was the Day One edition. The weapons you get off it are pants though. You get better ones not long after you start the game!

Thought you got the DQIII costume but that must just be for the Collectors Edition or SE Store exclusive or something.

Did you try out Kiryl in the Japanese version? His special move is hilarious!

Yep! Think I recorded a clip of it as well. It's a reference to the original version of Dragon Quest IV.

Your party members apart from the main character were controlled by the AI, and the AI for Kiryl would constantly cast whack or beat as it was known in that version) (and usually the spell will fail).

Alena was a lot of fun to play as. Never got to try Bianca I don't think.

Yeah, the costume was for the S-E edition.

Haha. That Kiryl thing is hilarious. I've played IV but never picked up on that before.

Another thing I forgot to mention is the weekend events they have. On Saturday, depending on what time you play, you will get more exp or more gold or more item drops. Love this idea!

Just killed my first liquid metal slime. Dat exp boost. :D

RedShell, Grazza (you have a PS3?), S.C.G I highly recommend picking it up.

Yep! I'm ashamed to say I mostly use it as a BluRay player, but always intended to play more games on it.

You've got me interested in this - it sounds great - although is the PS3 version limited in Europe? I can't seem to find it in many places.

Yep! I'm ashamed to say I mostly use it as a BluRay player, but always intended to play more games on it.

You've got me interested in this - it sounds great - although is the PS3 version limited in Europe? I can't seem to find it in many places.

You're right. I've had a look around and can't seem to find the PS3 version. I wonder if it was just released on the PS4 over here. Apologies if I got your hopes up. :(

The weekend events are underway. I was getting more exp earlier and at 12pm it switched so that enemies drop more items.

No probs, I'll snap it up when it's a bit cheaper, with the expectation I'll eventually get a PS4 (which I hope I will, because of Dragon Quest XI).

I finished the main story last night but, like any good DQ game, there is plenty of post game content. Some of the enemies and grottos are brutal. I'm currently sitting farming king metal slimes to level up my team. Classic DQ! :D

I tried nabbing the secret character yesterday. Dude kicked my teams butt, even though we were in the 40s range. Some of my guys are in the mid 50s now but I'll wait until I hit the 60s before going back and hopefully give him a beating.

Really great game that offers so much more depth than what Hyrule Warriors did. If they do make a sequel to that, I hope they use this as a template for it.

I finished the main story last night but, like any good DQ game, there is plenty of post game content. Some of the enemies and grottos are brutal. I'm currently sitting farming king metal slimes to level up my team. Classic DQ! :D

I tried nabbing the secret character yesterday. Dude kicked my teams butt, even though we were in the 40s range. Some of my guys are in the mid 50s now but I'll wait until I hit the 60s before going back and hopefully give him a beating.

Really great game that offers so much more depth than what Hyrule Warriors did. If they do make a sequel to that, I hope they use this as a template for it.

How many hours gameplay time to finish the story?

Still unsure if I should get this now, or save it for later. :hmm:

How many hours gameplay time to finish the story?

Still unsure if I should get this now, or save it for later. :hmm:

Took me about 30 hours to see the ending. I think I'm sitting in the 40s now, with plenty of sidequests left to do and trophies to nab.

Managed to level up my main guy and Alena up to level 99 today, thanks to the weekend events. The rest of my guys are in the 60-80 range.

My team consists on Jessica (her healing comes in handy and the dance she does to use the move is hilarious), Alena (super fast and you get a crazy amount of hits in when she divides), Terry (split him and use his wind attack for a crazy fast tension meter build up) and finally, my main guy because I have no choice but to use him. :D

Took on harder versions of some of the previous bosses I had fought. Think I've cleared 4 or 5 of them and despite being level 99 they still pack a punch.

Not played much DQ/DW in my time bar maybe one on the nes and DWM(STILL waiting on my western remake!) but your post has got me rather interested on this @Hero\-of\-Time! Never got round to playing Hyrule Warriors but maybe this'll take its place at some point...!

Not played much DQ/DW in my time bar maybe one on the nes and DWM(STILL waiting on my western remake!) but your post has got me rather interested on this @Hero\-of\-Time! Never got round to playing Hyrule Warriors but maybe this'll take its place at some point...!

It's certainly worth a play. I'm not the biggest DQ fan ( only played the IV, V and half of VIII ) but have enjoyed playing through this. So even if your not a hardcore fan, I think you will certainly enjoy whats on offer here.

So, to get the platinum in this game you have to beat all the super bosses. These were DLC for Japan and didn't require you to fight them to nab the coveted trophy. However, in the western version all of the DLC is free and on the disc, which means the trophy rules have changed and now these 4 super bosses ( all of which are from previous DQ games ) needed to be taken down.

I had a crack at them the other night and got absolutely destroyed off them, despite being level 99. This brought @lostmario much enjoyment as for some reason he was happy that I wouldn't be getting my platinum.

I tried fighting them all again last night and one by one them fell. I didn't even need to retry them, everyone of them got taken down on my first attempt. Terry and Jessica were the MVPs of the night. Jessica was doing her healing dance constantly and Terry is just OP once you get the right setup for him. You can charge his tension meter in a matter of seconds!

So that's all of the extra bosses defeated. I just need to grind for some gold so I can buy every piece of equipment and then that should net me the platinum. Screw you, @lostmario. :D

I'm now sitting on 52 hours played. It may as well be a JRPG. :)

Edited by Hero-of-Time

You're an absolute machine Hero. Honestly don't know how you manage to get so much done in games! I'm gonna keep an eye on this for a later price reduction - got enough to be getting on with my PS4 yet(and I think I spied a few store discounts I wanna take advantage of atm...)

This brought @lostmario much enjoyment as for some reason he was happy that I wouldn't be getting my platinum.

I was just giving you extra motivation to beat them.

I was just giving you extra motivation to beat them.

Lies! I could hear the joy in your voice as I was struggling away in the boss fights. :D

Anyway, platinum obtained. I found a sweet spot for grinding money using Bianca ( well someone else did, I just copied what said person found :) ). I added a couple of bits of equipment that increased the gold output from enemies and away I went. I think I nabbed all the gold and mini coins I needed after an hour or so.

Fantastic game and I can't wait for the sequel.

Quite enjoying this so far. More so than Hyrule Warriors actually. Hyrule Warriors felt a bit overwhelming on content.

As someone who loves Warriors style games but has only played the 5th and 9th Dragon Quest games, would it be a worthwhile investment?

As someone who loves Warriors style games but has only played the 5th and 9th Dragon Quest games, would it be a worthwhile investment?

Absolutely. I've only played a few DQ games and loved this to bits.

Yangus is a beast, takes down Golems easily. Helm Splitter is as good as it was in DQVIII.

Also seems like the game is coming to Steam.

Haha, Bianca and Nera are so awkward with each other.

Finding Bianca fun to play as, not really a fan of Nera.