NEurope
Hogge

Twilight Princess HD (4th March)

I think it's too early to judge it. They said they had made changes aside from the visuals to the game. If this only counts amiibo, then sure, it's a bit lazy but given previous efforts to Zelda-games I kind of expect them to have made further changes.

Yeah, it's just that a lot of people described the Wii U tech demo as "just the Twilight Princess style in HD", so I suppose I got caught up in that.

To get it too look like that would require a massive amount of work, they'd be better off redoing the game from scratch. This is obviously to fill a gap before Zelda U comes out.

I was pretty underwhelmed with the graphics but as long as it's not a blurry mess then I'm OK with that. I don't think the original was as bad as that comparison video though.

For those bemoaning the "lack of effort" here, do bear in mind that they are seemingly upresing, recreating and replacing all of the textures and that's a BIG undertaking for Twilight Princess as it has far more texture detail than Wind Waker did. TP is a far bigger game with way more art assets that need touching up than TWW does.

AxM4rF1.jpg

FZxYBm8.png

It's an enormous improvement, even if they don't seem to have messed with the lighting much...

The amount of people who seemingly expected it to look like the Wii U tech demo is mindboggling! It's a remaster, not a remake! Expectations should be adjusted accordingly.

To get it too look like that would require a massive amount of work, they'd be better off redoing the game from scratch. This is obviously to fill a gap before Zelda U comes out.

I was pretty underwhelmed with the graphics but as long as it's not a blurry mess then I'm OK with that. I don't think the original was as bad as that comparison video though.

It most certainly was. I'll see if I can put up some direct feed captures of the GCN and Wii versions later on.

Edited by Dcubed

I think we tend to upres past games in our minds, so when we get comparison shots like above the difference is pretty striking. Twilight Princess is probably the Zelda game that will age the worst in terms of art style and visuals, so the HD version was never going to look incredible without a total change of direction.

The big problem is Wind Waker was already timeless due to the art style and cel shading. However Twilight Princess doesn't benefit from a unique and timeless style. The problem is, due to WW HD looking so stunning, we all hoped that Twilight Princess would too - but for that I think it needed a full remake with new assets that would benefit from higher polygon counts. The only issue is, that would have cost a lot more and taken a significant amount of time and probably would only have been attempted by in-house studios.

I still maintain that I prefer the look of the original Wind Waker to WWHD.

Anyhoo, whereas I love TP, I just think this is Nintendo being lazy again, churning out games that are quick and easy to get out because of the lack of decent content on the console.

I still maintain that I prefer the look of the original Wind Waker to WWHD.

Anyhoo, whereas I love TP, I just think this is Nintendo being lazy again, churning out games that are quick and easy to get out because of the lack of decent content on the console.

Remakes and remasters are in fashion this generation, for everyone, certainly not just Nintendo.

The lack of Wii Remote mention concerns me...

At the very least, I want Gyro controls. Aiming with a control stick is SO 2001!

Remakes and remasters are in fashion this generation, for everyone, certainly not just Nintendo.

The difference being that a lot of people who own a WiiU have probably already owned these remakes in the past.

However a lot of people who never owned other consoles before have jumped ship this generation, and lapped up all of the other remakes as they've never played/owned the originals before.

This is true, I've only just bought the Uncharted Collection and I got The Last of Us on PS4. Although it feels worse from Nintendo as they're practically the only ones supporting the console.

However a lot of people who never owned other consoles before have jumped ship this generation, and lapped up all of the other remakes as they've never played/owned the originals before.

There were also loads of HD ports on PS3 and 360 - quite a few were released on both consoles.

There were also loads of HD ports on PS3 and 360 - quite a few were released on both consoles.

True but doesn't really change what I said:

...a lot of people who never owned other consoles before have jumped ship this generation, and lapped up all of the other remakes as they've never played/owned the originals before.

Even though it wasn't my favourite, I'm interested in playing this again. I certainly liked it more than Skyward Sword, but that's not saying too much. :heh:

The difference being that a lot of people who own a WiiU have probably already owned these remakes in the past.

It's exactly the same, no need to make excuses for everyone that isn't Nintendo. A lot of people didn't play Wind Waker back in the day and played the HD one for the first time. It'll be the same thing here just as it is for the endless remakes and collections on other consoles.

The lack of Wii Remote mention concerns me...

At the very least, I want Gyro controls. Aiming with a control stick is SO 2001!

I think you mean infrared pointing. Gyroscopes detect rotation, and were added by the Wii motion plus, which Twilight Princess Wii never supported.

Given the fact that we haven't seen any right-handed footage, I'd say it's pretty unlikely. I don't know if the Wii version's world was mirrored dynamically at run-time, or statically, meaning it was already mirrored on the disk. Doing it dynamically wouldn't have been that difficult in theory, but it would have increased the load times, or per-frame rendering time. If it was done dynamically in the Wii version, there could be a slim chance of it being included, but I wouldn't get my hopes up.

That all said, Wii U disks can store up to 25 GB, so it's entirely possible they just have both versions included.

Either way, I think Wii controls are probably unlikely, unless they do it without mirroring the world.

I think you mean infrared pointing. Gyroscopes detect rotation, and were added by the Wii motion plus, which Twilight Princess Wii never supported.

You misunderstood me. I was referring to the gamepad when I said Gyro controls.

I suppose I should worded it like "If this doesn't have Wii remote support, then this better have Gyro controls at least"

It's exactly the same, no need to make excuses for everyone that isn't Nintendo. A lot of people didn't play Wind Waker back in the day and played the HD one for the first time. It'll be the same thing here just as it is for the endless remakes and collections on other consoles.

I'm not making excuses, you're getting overly defensive again.

I'm sure we can agree that the majority of people with a Wii U could be described as more hardcore Nintendo fans that have probably already played the original versions.

From what I gather it's understood that a lot of people have moved over from Nintendo to other consoles this generation, especially if this forum is anything to go by.

These people will probably not have had a chance to play the franchises exclusive to other systems before, so the remakes garner much more interest.

And also, Wind Waker is older than Twilight Princess so it's understandable there'll be more people around now that hadn't played it before.

Yeah, for me WW will be completely a new game, while TP almost a new game, but because of the new visuals it will feel as a new game (because the visuals were just to bad on the Wii and HD TV) especially as I have never finished TP.

I'm not making excuses, you're getting overly defensive again.

I'm sure we can agree that the majority of people with a Wii U could be described as more hardcore Nintendo fans that have probably already played the original versions.

From what I gather it's understood that a lot of people have moved over from Nintendo to other consoles this generation, especially if this forum is anything to go by.

These people will probably not have had a chance to play the franchises exclusive to other systems before, so the remakes garner much more interest.

And also, Wind Waker is older than Twilight Princess so it's understandable there'll be more people around now that hadn't played it before.

Maybe but I don't see what difference it makes. I just don't agree with the suggestion that remasters and remakes are all well and good on the competition to pad out barren first-party Q3/4s, but when Nintendo do them, it's wrong.

Maybe but I don't see what difference it makes. I just don't agree with the suggestion that remasters and remakes are all well and good on the competition to pad out barren first-party Q3/4s, but when Nintendo do them, it's wrong.

As Kav said, Nintendo are supporting the console by themselves. When the release schedule is pretty barren then these games stick out like a sore thumb. The competition have a bunch of 3rd party games to make up the numbers, whereas Nintendo don't have this luxury.

Personally, I have no issues with remakes/remasters. Its not like you have to buy them.

As Kav said, Nintendo are supporting the console by themselves. When the release schedule is pretty barren then these games stick out like a sore thumb. The competition have a bunch of 3rd party games to make up the numbers, whereas Nintendo don't have this luxury.

Personally, I have no issues with remakes/remasters. Its not like you have to buy them.

All the more reason for Nintendo to release them and pad out their release schedule then! Both they and the competition release remasters and HD ports, you can't criticise one without doing the same to the other.

All the more reason for Nintendo to release them and pad out their release schedule then! Both they and the competition release remasters and HD ports, you can't criticise one without doing the same to the other.

The point I was making is that these releases are fine when propped up with newer games. If Nintendo release this with other quality titles then fine but as it stands, the release schedule is barren for the Wii U and most of the games that are coming are being classed as cheap, quick or lazy spinoffs. I think Xenoblade is the exception to these criticisms.

The point I was making is that these releases are fine when propped up with newer games. If Nintendo release this with other quality titles then fine but as it stands, the release schedule is barren for the Wii U and most of the games that are coming are being classed as cheap, quick or lazy spinoffs. I think Xenoblade is the exception to these criticisms.

What about FAST: Racing Neo?

Fair enough. It's just that in my head I had it down as either a simple, (possibly) download-only HD up-rez of the original to pad out the Christmas line-up or a retail game for next year with newer models and lighting like Wind Waker HD. But hey, it's not Nintendo's fault I assumed that.

As long as it looks as good as the image @khilafah posted, I'll be happy. It'd be great if Nintendo could release some 1920x1080 stills to reassure on that front.