NEurope
Retro_Link

Thor: The Dark World

Sorry for the big bump.

Finally got round to watching this last night.

A couple of questions

Did Loki kill Odin?

I'm guessing the collector is working for Thanos or is he wanting them for himself?

Loki probably didnt kill Odin but we wont know until Thor 3 I guess.

I think the Collector is just getting them for himself.

Sorry for the big bump.

Finally got round to watching this last night.

A couple of questions

Did Loki kill Odin?

I'm guessing the collector is working for Thanos or is he wanting them for himself?

Answers to questions:

1: Nobody knows....yet

2: Get over your Cinemaphobia and go watch Gaurdians of the Galaxy!

BUMP!

So, I got round the watching Thor: The Dark World. I had heard it was not so good, but... I loved it!

Whereas the original Thor was sort of "half Elf, half Lord of the Rings", I found this a very consistent film from start to finish. Malekith was a powerful villain who could go toe-to-toe with Thor, and Kurse was an awesome henchman. I genuinely didn't know how Thor could beat either of them.

The plot just got more and more dramatic, with development after development. There was also comic relief, which managed to stay just silly enough, but not undermine the story. I don't think I've ever laughed harder in a comic book film than at Erik Selvig's first appearance in this.

The whole cast are good, but special mention must go to Tom Hiddleston, who is truly excellent as Loki and makes him easily one of the most loveable characters in the Marvel Universe.

It all finished with a suitable finale set in Greenwich, which amused me to see such familiar locations. With the Gherkin and the Shard also present, it pandered to the British audience, and was all the more enjoyable for it!

Anyway, a great film, and I can't fathom why it's considered one of the lesser ones.

It's my favourite Marvel film, closely followed by Thor, Winter Soldier and Guardians. I don't get the lack of love for it either.

One criticism I've heard is that Malekith is a weak villain. But although he's quite one-dimensional... he's only after the Ether/power/revenge... you don't need much more when you also have Loki in your film.

I loved seeing more of Asgard.

It's my favourite Marvel film, closely followed by Thor, Winter Soldier and Guardians. I don't get the lack of love for it either.

One criticism I've heard is that Malekith is a weak villain. But although he's quite one-dimensional... he's only after the Ether/power/revenge... you don't need much more when you also have Loki in your film.

Christopher Eccleston is a great actor. It must be hard when they distort your voice/put you in an elaborate costume, but I still think he got it across well. Apparently there was more backstory intended for him (although it's not in the deleted scenes), but they abandoned it in favour of pacing. I'm glad they did, to be honest, as I like it when a film lasts for less than two hours.

I loved seeing more of Asgard.

Funnily enough I watched the documentaries last night, and the sets are great when you see them in 16:9 HD. So much work went into them - sometimes I think they look better before the effects are added! Darn, I wish more of these films were in 1:78:1 (like Avengers Assemble) rather than 2.35:1.

PS - The documentary shows Loki's blade going through Agent Coulson, even though it wasn't allowed in the original European version of Avengers. :laughing::wtf:

I thought I remembered this film, but Malekith? Who?

The Dark Elf leader (unless I typed his name wrong).

Winter Soldier tonight! I've been looking forward to it for ages.

I just need to watch it again, but I'm waiting for the phase 2 boxset.

PS - The documentary shows Loki's blade going through Agent Coulson, even though it wasn't allowed in the original European version of Avengers. :laughing::wtf:

That was in the cinema version, just not the dvd so I guess we know where their footage was from.

I just need to watch it again, but I'm waiting for the phase 2 boxset.

They haven't released one yet? I'm surprised. Sooner or later these will be available in 4K, so I might get them then.

That reminds me, did any of you watch the One Shot on this disc, "All Hail to the King"?

That was in the cinema version, just not the dvd so I guess we know where their footage was from.

Ah, I stand corrected.

They haven't released one yet? I'm surprised. Sooner or later these will be available in 4K, so I might get them then.

That reminds me, did any of you watch the One Shot on this disc, "All Hail to the King"?

Ah, I stand corrected.

Oh they have, but it's £200 and comes with a load of pointless guff. I'm waiting for just the blu rays on their own.