NEurope
killer kirby

Dragon Quest X: Rise of the Five Tribes (Wii/Wii U Online RPG)

STOP BEING RUDE TO DRAGON QUEST, BURNY.

"I never grind, I just go through dungeons multiple times" is a bit like saying, "I never die in video games, I always restart the console before I run out of HP."

I don't mind grinding in RPGs's, especially on handheld ones. A lot of the time I actually enjoy power levelling and then destroying the enemies in the next dungeon. :D

I really got into the grinding thing on DQIX. Don't recall needing to do it much (at all even) in order to complete the game, but it was just something I did out of choice for the post game/high level grottos. :)

Once you've found a good area and get a decent strategy going, it can be kind of fun... in a weird way. :hehe:

The thing that has put me off the RPG genre in the past (much more than grinding) is random battles! :nono: That is a gameplay mechanic that I just can't enjoy. It used to annoy the hell out of me on Pokémon too, before I learnt about using repels. :woops:

It's like, you're trying to make your way to a location that should only take a minute or so to get there, but every 2 seconds you're suddenly sent into a battle, meaning it takes 10 minutes to get where you were going. :shakehead

As a result I didn't play very many RPGs back in the day, in fact, DQIX was my first DQ game. And it was the lack of random battles that made me consider playing it.

It's so much better having enemies visible in the environments, and giving you the option (or at least some chance) to avoid battles. icon14.gif

Can you imagine if Xenoblade had random enemy encounters? :laughing:

It would be impossible to travel through some of the areas in that game, if it was like that. :heh:

Edited by RedShell

Grinding?

EXP = Metal Slime family

Gold = Gold Golems/Goodybags/Gem Slimes

Sorted ;)

DQIX probably has the most grinding due the way the vocation/revocation system works. In the first Dragon Quest, Metal Slimes are super rare and extremely hard to kill, you did have to grind in the first one.

Never had a problem with random encounters in DQ games, probably because I enjoy the monster designs so much ;). Apart from the Dark World in DQVIII *shakes fist*.

I must admit, I'm not a big fan of the race designs in DQX. Their they are fine for NPCs or even secondary characters, but I just want to play as a Human :(

None taken, I was just saying how I felt. I usually grind in my own way: I just keep collecting money in battles until I can buy the best armors for all party members. Altough in Dragon Quest VIII, I just couldn't, too expensive!

Agreed, you never have enough money for what you want. I'm thinking of playing through it, just buying what I can afford. Maybe see if I can win enough Metal Slime/Metal King Armour for everyone who can wear it, and not buying anything else. Either that or just sticking to the ones with really good magical or elemental defence such as Magic Armour and Dragon Mail respectively.

* Try sticking to just one really good weapon for each character. One of the biggest flaws of DQ VIII is probably that you can't (in any reasonable way) max-out all your skill sets. Trouble is, if you haven't gone with Spears or Axes, you have very little chance of defeating the high-defence enemies, such as Metal King Slimes and two of the post-game bosses.

* If you are too weak just for the boss fights, make sure you use Kabuff, Insulate or Magic Barrier, depending on what sort of attacks they use.

* Get a Timbrel of Tension (maximum of 2) and have Jessica use it every turn once she's cast her buffs. It will boost Hero and Yangus's attacks and even Angelo's healing.

As a result I didn't play very many RPGs back in the day, in fact, DQIX was my first DQ game. And it was the lack of random battles that made me consider playing it.

It's so much better having enemies visible in the environments, and giving you the option (or at least some chance) to avoid battles. icon14.gif

Not that I'd necessarily recommend the Dragon Quest Monsters games to those who don't like monster collecting (they are good, but can be very obsessive, even for an RPG), but the combination of visible enemies + no random battles + camera angle is very satisfying.

In Dragon Quest IX, the overhead view could be very frustrating when grinding (remember, this is the post-game!) because obviously you'd be after Metal Slimes of some kind, yet one could appear on the edge of your screen and see you before you'd seen it!

In Dragon Quest Monsters on DS, however, the games are fully 3D and the camera angle puts you right behind your character, eg. it's a typical 3rd-person game. This makes chasing Metal KIng Slimes much, much better, and adds loads of strategy. You can literally wait for them to turn round and run up behind them.

A few new details about the start of the game.

- for the best playing experience, a USB memory stick, Classic Controller Pro and a USB Keyboard are recommended

- game disc will install DQX to the USB memory stick

- boot up the game from USB by selecting the DQX Channel

- create your character and your sibling

- game starts off in Etene Village

- the village is threatened very early on

- head to a mysterious shrine where some shocking developments take place

- this event leads you to create another character for your adventure

- this character is one of the five races/tribes

- you'll also select a job for your new character

- each race starts off in a different place and has a different story

- you can connect online and play solo or with friends

- experience a bit of the story in offline mode

- this will focus on you and your sibling's life in Etene Village

The USB stick design is pretty cool:

dqx_usb.jpg

(The Level 16 bit lights up when plugged in).

Is 16GB required or can you go smaller? USB install is pretty interesting.

Sounds like you can have 2 characters sort of, the Human and one of the 5 races? Don't get why you can create your own Human if that's not the case.

That looks spectacular! I think the game looks better than in the previous videos I have seen.

Now, if they can get an MMO-game looking that good on Wii, I can't even imagine how good the Wii U version could look.

*watches new vid*

Wow! Customization overload!! :o

Characters, Weapons, Clothing, even Rooms!! :eek:

Damn, it's almost like Dragon Quest + Animal Crossing! :D

I am so up for this game now! :bouncy:

Looks to me like you can still use the Human character, though I wish someone would confirm it.

Did spot the Liquid Metal Slime equipment though :)

Tempted to import but I need to confirm it isn't region IP locked, and how easy it is to pay for the subscription. You can use Wii Points so hopefully that won't be an issue.

Looks like I'm not alone. btw I don't think that the subscriptions would work then. its like getting DLC for the same game but in a different region.

Lovely music in that presentation, especially the tune at around 3:00. It's the "Town - Daytime" music from VIII, isn't it? Absolutely beautiful - sounds like Sugiyama's back to his best.

All the stylistic choices in the game seem just right. Nice to see all the favourite monsters such as the Skeleton-at-arms and Atlas. Let's hope for a localisation of the Wii U version and no online fee. :)

Lovely music in that presentation, especially the tune at around 3:00. It's the "Town - Daytime" music from VIII, isn't it? Absolutely beautiful - sounds like Sugiyama's back to his best.

Sugiyama at his best is when he creates ORIGINAL music IMO, not old music, sadly he will never beat the increadible music he made in DQVII, been downhill ever since, with 1 to 5 good songs from each game after VII.

no online fee. :)

Yeah good luck with that, if anything we will prob get the same treatment that japan gets (The free times that people can come online for like 2 hours, we may get 3 or 4 if lucky)

Well I was sold when it was first announced... I was further sold when the initial trailer was released, so lets say I was Mega Sold... with all the trickles of info and finally this 11 minute presentation... I guess I am Hyper Sold!!!

I have this annoying (great) habit of playing tons of games again in a series that is about to get a new instalment... playing VIII and IX and VI... whew...

Some more details:

- characters with blue names above their head are real-life players

- characters with white names are CPU characters that will talk to you

- characters with pink names are important for advancing the story

- to speak to the right person when in a group, select "speak" from the main command window and select a specific name

- play with fellow online players by selecting "adventure together"

- head to the pub and speak to the person at the counter to have CPU players join your party

- allies will be based off your job/skill level

- you have to pay in-game gold to get these people to join up with you

- towns include weapon and armor shops, an inn, and a church

- DQX saves automatically

- visit churches to revive dead allies, cure poison, and rid yourself of curses

Will miss saving at a church :P

Why aren't you out yet?! Mostly so I will know if I can import you :(

A New 9 minute online focused video:

EDIT: Squenix got it removed.

Edited by -Dem0-