NEurope
Serebii

Nintendo Switch - Happy Switchmas Everyone!

It's an ok article. I kinda like where it's coming from and intensions lie.

I think it underplays the fact that fans have somewhat lost faith in Nintendo. Sony fumbled with the PS3, Microsoft fumbled the XB1's launch year... Nintendo screwed up with the Gamecube, ditched the Wii after a couple of years, badly marketed the 3DS and then there's the Wii U... all the while ignoring online gaming, putting out the same slim line up of games over and over again on their virtual consoles etc... etc... there's a difference.

However. I agree. Nintendo take your time. I'd much rather that. We got reports of dev kits in the hands of developers only a few months ago, and some saying they hadn't received them. Quality third party launch line-up/support seemed unlikely if that were the case; the usual rushed games, experiments, mini-game compilations, ports could surely only result.

I'm happy to wait for Zelda, I'm happy to wait for NX. Fingers crossed.

I feel the more time Nintendo take off, the more irrelevant they become to most of the mainstream audience and gives more airtime to their rivals. The hardcore fans are generally not satisfied either. I find the more time passes the less I am hyped and less likely to day-one things that I originally would.

I feel the more time Nintendo take off, the more irrelevant they become to most of the mainstream audience and gives more airtime to their rivals. The hardcore fans are generally not satisfied either. I find the more time passes the less I am hyped and less likely to day-one things that I originally would.

It's an interesting point.

Just looking around various forums, i've seen many saying that they will now use their money to buy a PSVR. People were back and forth on what to buy at the end of the year but it looks like the door has been left wide open for people to buy a competitors product.

They are allowing more people to invest into the products and the ecosystem of their rivals. You just have to look at this very forum to see how many people are now invested in another platform due to many factors which Nintendo could have avoided.

A lot of this could just be people over reacting and if Nintendo show what the NX is before the release of the PSVR/PS4K/One.5 then it may help the situation and sway people back.

There's no denying that in recent weeks the NX chatter has been very positive and people were very excited. After yesterdays briefing all of that seems to have been washed away and people seem upset, angry and want answers, and quite rightly so.

I just don't think it works like that. I really don't when the nx is announced or released or whatever, if it's amazing no one will give a fuck it was delayed, or what happened with the game cube and Wii or whatever. No one will care. If it's shit the same... I guess the difference would be if it is underwhelming then it wouldn't get sales just because like maybe old Nintendo systems would.

Hyrule Warriors 2 on the cards?

KOEI TECMO confirm that they are starting development on Nintendo's new console codenamed "NX". No project announced just yet.

Hyrule Warriors 2 on the cards?

Hope so :) Makes sense too. Or maybe another warriors game with. Nintendo franchise. Fire emblem?

Still sad that TPC shot down a Pokémon style one and had them make Conquest instead. Blergh :p

I liked the idea of Conquest and it's approach at opening up the mythos. Would like to see them return to that timeline.

I liked the idea of Conquest and it's approach at opening up the mythos. Would like to see them return to that timeline.

You sadist :p

What if the Nx reveal event was timely put out shortly after E3 after nintendo had time to see what worked and what didn't so they could effectively 'win' e3 by blowing the whole lot out of the water?

What if they could release in November, but Zelda and perhaps something else they wanted for a killer launch wouldn't be ready until say January, so they sucked it up and went for march, a sufficient time after christmas to allow the most titles available for launch AND allow the line up for the rest of they year (9months) seem more compact and aka more full in comparison to the WiiU?

What if its to tie in with a major 3rd party release thats going to be on NX (such as a huge Square Enix game)

You sadist :p

whats wrong with Conquest? i loved conquest

Edited by Agent Gibbs
Automerged Doublepost

Having not played anything Nintendo related for a good few years now, I'm probably not in the best position to comment on the recent set of, lets face it, bad news. However, from a purely business and consumer perspective, opting to not show what is presumably going to be one of the main sources of income for a corporation at the largest gaming convention is a mistake, regardless of whether or not the competition is showcasing new models for their products.

If I was a shareholder, I'd be wanting specifics about the time frame for the reveal and showing of the new hardware as soon as because missing out on not only the gaming related feedback from the event, the loss of wider media coverage is likely to hurt the eventual unveil. Sure, Nintendo will rope in journalists from all over and hold an event probably along the lines of what they did with the 3DS but the impact of that style of event is lost when the media's gaze is no longer solely centred on this particular industry, as it is when E3 is held.

Similarly, choosing to only showcase one playable title in the form of a game which was all but known to have been held back to be simultaneously launched on the new hardware (anyone looking at hardware figures in 2015 could tell that Zelda was never going to launch then and there and slow growth over the last year has ultimately put the final nail in the coffin there). It smacks of ego and showcases a complete lack of ignorance to the state of the current games industry. Maybe they're wanting to put their games directly in players hands, rather than that of the press. Ok, then why not just announce their plans now? EA have opted for this tact and they announced their plans ages ago. Ultimately, it once again shows a complete disconnect from the industry from Nintendo.

The growth of industry over the last year, never mind the last couple, shows a considerable gulf in the thinking, business acumen and methodology used between Nintendo and the competition. They are sorely in need a wide spread overhaul and modernising of their practices. Condensing development of titles to allow for simultaneous development of both handheld and home console titles through use of similar architecture is a step in that direct but the biggest problem from Nintendo is the old-hat bureaucracy which keeps them squarely in a pre-Millennium mind-set.

Devolution of responsibility from NoJ and allowing the NoA and NoE subsidiaries to front the development of titles in their specific regions, creating smaller start up teams to work on smaller titles or to go between indie developers, is something I've said they've needed to do for sometime and it really would greatly benefit Nintendo in the long run, decreasing the likelihood of software droughts. Their movement into smartphone apps/software has shown decent attachment rates but generated revenue from that is another question and it's something that they shouldn't lean on too heavily. Though they need to broaden their revenue streams, smartphone software isn't ideally the most opportune avenue. Pursuit of something more along the lines of multimedia (movies, TV, etc.) expansion would be a better cause for Nintendo given their IPs and it really is bizarre that they've yet to proceed down this particular avenue.

But I digress. The current discussion of no NX at E3 is a bizarre and frankly stupid idea. Sure, they'll have their own event with all the attention on them but that will inevitably be diminished compared to what it could be had they opted to showcase things at E3. It also has a knock on effect in that third parties will invariably choose not to discuss anything in relation to the hardware, which further hides away a future product for the company that realy should be front and centre when it is 9 months away from release as of E3.

In terms of what they should be/should have done with the hardware, I hope they've at least taken note from Sony and Microsoft and listened to what dev teams want, and not just what Japanese developers want. There shouldn't be any Western/Japanese divide along these lines anymore, as software development is a global business so consideration from all directions is needed.

Comparable specs to the current slate of hardware is a must, though by the time the NX hits the market if it goes with the current slate, it'll be behind the trend. A decent push above the current would therefore need to be considered. However, I did have the thought last night that if the NX is something entirely new, perhaps taking a similar route to PC construction would be advantageous to them. Release a base hardware that matches/slightly surpasses the current specs of the competition, 2 years down the line you release a hardware pack that allows you to slot increased memory, etc. into the base model to allow it the necessary bump in specs to match the evolution of the industry over that time frame. In essence, they create a console that could sustain itself for an extended period and would be much closer to the state of PC gaming, where games could possess different graphical settings to compensate for those who haven't bought the hardware upgrade. It may not go down well in some areas but would certainly be a "new concept" for console gaming and would potentially allow for lower outgoings and keep the console relevant.

Just a thought.

TL;DR: Nintendo need to sort out their business acumen and modernise, upgradable console every couple of years.

whats wrong with Conquest? i loved conquest

Battle system was shallow (and turn-based...yuck), and the content was just too long and repetitive

Battle system was shallow (and turn-based...yuck), and the content was just too long and repetitive

The second half of that sentence describes Pokémon as a whole :heh:

And hey I never said it was a really fun game I played for dozens of hours, was just something a little bit different and with an interesting take on the narrative. I appreciated it more than the 400th Dungeons game.

It's an interesting point.

Just looking around various forums, i've seen many saying that they will now use their money to buy a PSVR. People were back and forth on what to buy at the end of the year but it looks like the door has been left wide open for people to buy a competitors product.

They are allowing more people to invest into the products and the ecosystem of their rivals. You just have to look at this very forum to see how many people are now invested in another platform due to many factors which Nintendo could have avoided.

A lot of this could just be people over reacting and if Nintendo show what the NX is before the release of the PSVR/PS4K/One.5 then it may help the situation and sway people back.

There's no denying that in recent weeks the NX chatter has been very positive and people were very excited. After yesterdays briefing all of that seems to have been washed away and people seem upset, angry and want answers, and quite rightly so.

What Nintendo seem to have failed to realise since the Wii is that interest and a healthy fan base is ACCUMALATIVE - their mindsets seem to be to pump out a fad to make money and not cater to fans.

And that's alright if they come up with elaborate ideas to entrap a new audience or whatever but yeah, Nintendo's moves are mostly two fingers to its fans who still believe in it.

What Nintendo seem to have failed to realise since the Wii is that interest and a healthy fan base is ACCUMALATIVE - their mindsets seem to be to pump out a fad to make money and not cater to fans.

And that's alright if they come up with elaborate ideas to entrap a new audience or whatever but yeah, Nintendo's moves are mostly two fingers to its fans who still believe in it.

I take it with NX being delayed you will now be getting a PS4 for your FFXV fix?

Can Nintendo announce Nintendo NX games at E3?

Probably not.

This all seems like something caused a 4 month delay for the NX fairly recently, and with them to not want to have a long reveal to release period, they ended up with nothing at E3.

E3 will be disappointing, without a doubt

Probably not.

This all seems like something caused a 4 month delay for the NX fairly recently, and with them to not want to have a long reveal to release period, they ended up with nothing at E3.

Indeed. Whether it's production delays or software delays, there's clearly a very strong reason for it. It's a shame we're not going to see the NX at E3 though - my body was ready!

Probably not.

Yeah it will be a disappointing E3

To compliment...

As expected, Jose is up Nintendo's backside and thinks every decision they make is golden. He has changed his tune since the start of the year. Earlier in the year he was saying that Nintendo need the NX to be announced sooner rather than later to get people talking about it ( much like what Peer said ) but now the guy is saying the opposite. Man, I really dislike him.

I agree with Peer though that, for a console, you need to get it in people's hands and get the word spreading. His example of the Wii is a fantastic one and a great point. Putting a video out wouldn't have had the same impact.

While Jose says that they want to deliver the message on their own time without the competition in the way, to me it just screams of cowardice and has done since Nintendo started to back away from E3. Why are they afraid to compete? Where's that fighting spirit from them?

When the NX does finally get unveiled it had better be some grand event and not a simple Nintendo Direct. Bring back Spaceworld and give people something to be positive about and talk about.

The gamexplain one was brilliant. They are clearly gutted by the news and wondering what they will have to cover for the rest of the year!

Can't wait to see/hear what RFN make of all this!

Can't wait to see/hear what RFN make of all this!

Yeah, i'm really looking forward to this weeks episode. James will probably be just laughing at how weird the whole situation is. :D