NEurope
Retro_Link

No Man's Sky

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2013/12/08/joe-danger-dev-announces-no-mans-sky

Joe Danger Dev Announces No Man's Sky

A procedurally generated, massively multiplayer science fiction game.

London-based Hello Games, the developer behind the Joe Danger series, is working on a next-gen game titled No Man's Sky. The four-person studio cites authors like Isaac Asimov as an inspiration for the first-person project.

A brief reveal trailer highlighted a procedural science fiction game which has the player flying around strange worlds in a spaceship. The game will feature a procedurally generated, massively multiplayer world.

As I said in the VGX thread, the ideas behind it and mechanics sound incredible!

I've had time to think about it since, and the fact it's only developed by 4 people does concern me a bit, especially considering the massive scope this game has. It's sounding amazingly promising though, so I'm definitely keeping my eye on it.

As I said in the VGX thread, the ideas behind it and mechanics sound incredible!

I've had time to think about it since, and the fact it's only developed by 4 people does concern me a bit, especially considering the massive scope this game has. It's sounding amazingly promising though, so I'm definitely keeping my eye on it.

Someone on The Verge (I think) said that the procedural element is perfect for such a small studio - if they can nail that down (and I'm guessing they're mostly there otherwise they wouldn't show it) then that takes away the world building etc and they can focus on the gameplay mechanics.

The HG guys have been in the biz for decades anyway (at other places), I have a lot of faith in them to pull it off.

I'm interested, but to what end? :wink:

On a technical level this seems initially impressive but I'm still left waiting for for something about this to really 'grab me' as a game that I want to play.

Certainly one to watch though based on developer history alone. : peace:

What does 'procedural' mean in this context anyway?

Does it just mean randomly generated? Or does it react based on how you play?

What does 'procedural' mean in this context anyway?

Randomly generated, but done in a way that the game is the same for everyone who plays.

So it's randomly generated at their end, and then saved, as a way to create huge worlds, rather than in a Minecraft way, where each world is different, as a way to create unique experiences. I see.

Not sure what's so exciting about that though...

So it's randomly generated at their end, and then saved, as a way to create huge worlds, rather than in a Minecraft way, where each world is different, as a way to create unique experiences. I see.

Not sure what's so exciting about that though...

I guess it points towards an experience that is limited by the developers imagination/time. If they are procedurally generated they can just leave computers doing the work and endless generate new worlds to explore. I think going forward as the game is released its going to be incredible that players are genuinely finding new stuff that's created that potentially even the developers don't know existed in that specific form. Let's just hope it's as robust as the likes of Spelunky so that no broken situations arise.

I also think it's one of the reasons that a 4 man team is able to put this together and it to be way bigger than the usual scope for such a small group.

I'm gonna be honest this is my most anticipated game now by a long way.

We should start hearing more about it from tomorrow. It looks like thats when the journalists that saw it a couple of days ago are allowed to start talking about it.

Are we allowed to talk about it!?

Well I dont know about you but after I finished watching the trailer, men in black suits turned up and made me sign an NDA

We should start hearing more about it from tomorrow. It looks like thats when the journalists that saw it a couple of days ago are allowed to start talking about it.

Yeah I think Brad Shoemaker via twitter alluded to the fact that he has seen it. Very frustrating time to listen to podcasts obviously not a lot of news been happening and new games/consoles have been covered to death but clearly these guys are seeing the next round of stuff.

Seen the trailer.

My PC won't be able to handles this.

It HAS to come to PS4.

Looks fucking amazing.

This from the devs in Eurogamer -

"So if you were stood on a mountain and you can see a tree three miles away you can go and you can walk and you can see that tree and what's under it," Murray tells me. "But also if you look into the sky and you see that classic science fiction crescent planet on the horizon, you can go there as well. And if you see a star that's in the sky, given enough time you can go and look at that as well. You can look at the night sky and all of those stars are actually real things, they are real places, and you can have visited some of them but not visited others. Grant [Duncan, the art director] said it the other day. 'Is this the first game that doesn't have a skybox?' It's such a weird thing, it's such a techie thing, but that should be our opener: the first game with no skybox."

Someone on The Verge (I think) said that the procedural element is perfect for such a small studio - if they can nail that down (and I'm guessing they're mostly there otherwise they wouldn't show it) then that takes away the world building etc and they can focus on the gameplay mechanics.

The HG guys have been in the biz for decades anyway (at other places), I have a lot of faith in them to pull it off.

Awesome, that's great to hear. Definitely have faith in this one then! :)

This is going to be amazing!

Interesting trailer analysis...

The fact that two of the landscape that flash up in that trailer (a snowy landscape and a sunny countryside) are seemingly the same planet is crazy in terms of scale and scope!!

Seen the trailer.

My PC won't be able to handles this.

It HAS to come to PS4.

Looks fucking amazing.

They've mentioned that since all their backgrounds are in console development they've made something that isn't massively complex in its core gameplay. A PS4/XBONE release is probably more likely than a PC one.

Edited by gaggle64

A PS4/XBONE release is probably more likely than a PC one.

I swear to god, if this doesn't happen, I will come to your house and do yer ma.

Wait...

I'm not martinist.

Watched this trailer again...It looks so good.

Edited by drahkon

I swear to got, if this doesn't happen, I will come to your house and do yer ma.

Wait...

I'm not martinist.

You're welcome to try but from what I understand you may have to defeat him in battle for the honour.