NEurope
Fierce_LiNk

Star Trek Beyond

I can tell from some of the internet's reactions that this trailer will divide opinion.

Hated the last movie, hated this new trailer. I'm still just done with Star Trek now until the next reboot or a return to the proper universe.

As much as I enjoyed the last two films, this trailer isn't doing anything for me. It's offering fuck all in terms of plot apart from "here's some baddies"

I actually liked New Trek, not that i didn't like Old Trek, i do, but it got silly (voyager single handedly destroyed the universe)

Admittedly the last movie was not as good as the first reboot, mainly with even more universe destroying technology (i'm looking at you cross galaxy transportation!)

but that trailer was shite

It makes it seem the Enterprise is destroyed early in and they are trapped on a planet and lots of lens flare and fighting takes place, but it seemed even less star trek than the others - Please Simon Pegg i love you as an actor and writer but please don't destroy this, Trek fans are the worst to get hating you

I reckon that the film will be fine. Can imagine it being better than Into Darkness. A lot of the old Trek episodes revolved around being stranded on a planet and finding a way back, or encountering trouble.

The trailer won't be illustrative of the final product. They've, for some reason, decided to go down the action route with the trailer. Maybe just to draw people in and get the everyday crowd into the cinema.

I actually liked New Trek, not that i didn't like Old Trek, i do, but it got silly (voyager single handedly destroyed the universe)

Admittedly the last movie was not as good as the first reboot, mainly with even more universe destroying technology (i'm looking at you cross galaxy transportation!)

but that trailer was shite

It makes it seem the Enterprise is destroyed early in and they are trapped on a planet and lots of lens flare and fighting takes place, but it seemed even less star trek than the others - Please Simon Pegg i love you as an actor and writer but please don't destroy this, Trek fans are the worst to get hating you

Dem be fighting words! :mad:

Voyager was never particularly popular but I dont think it did any particular damage to the universe, maybe weakening the Borg but thats it. Enterprise even with all its faults wasnt terrible. Plus its still the only old Trek thats still canon.

Isn't that the same baddie from Xmen? Do all baddies look the same now? Roided purple face etc...?

This looks unbelievably awful. I didn't mind the previous 2, obviously they made them more accessible but I still think there were bits for the old fans. This just looks like a more expensive version of a shit Seagal film. It's early days though, hopefully it's just a shit trailer.

Dem be fighting words! :mad:

Only just noticed that (about the Voyager hate)

Explain yourself, @Agent Gibbs!

Voyager was never particularly popular but I dont think it did any particular damage to the universe, maybe weakening the Borg but thats it. Enterprise even with all its faults wasnt terrible. Plus its still the only old Trek thats still canon.

:heh: (Later seasons hate really, first couple were okay, did like 7 of 9 as a teen for two reasons)

Ablative Armour, Transwarp, Space pipes, timeline shenanigans, splitting ships

Trek had already got a little silly with how ships were so over powered but they always found a stronger enemy, but Voyager just went off the charts with super powers for the federation!

There's no way they could continue that continuity now without it becoming stupid 'oh look how our ablative armour makes us impregnable....WAIT what's that its the Borg's unheard of enemy with even more powerful technology, were so weak again compared to them!'

uhhh that sort of leaps of technology gave3 way to the Enterprise J

Voyager is to blame

Enterprise was awesome, everyone was weak it was about tactics and exploration again, not the new technology(and alien) of the week

voyager's last few seasons can burn in a fire! i'm glad Nu Trek obliterates them

Edited by Agent Gibbs

To be completely fair, these films don't have a TV series to fill in the background. All the other Trek films had hundreds of episodes to contextualise them. This does not have that luxury.

And yes, Into Darkness was a piece of shit – but Damon Lindelof wrote it, so that's no fucking surprise. He isn't writing this though.

Trailers are a hard one. People complain it doesn't give enough info, it spoils everything, it looks shit (somehow you can judge the whole film from 120+ seconds), etc, etc goditsboring. People are way too critical of trailers; they are marketing that will eventually be lost to time and they have the incredibly hard job of having to appeal to the fan boys and the n00bs alike.

As for this trailer? Personally, I think it looks fine, it's become Fast & Furious in space (but to me, Star Trek has aways been a TV series first and foremost). I'll watch it because it looks like fun, sure that's not really what Trek is about but until that TV show starts up, can you really expect any more?

And yes, Into Darkness was a piece of shit – but Damon Lindelof wrote it, so that's no fucking surprise. He isn't writing this though.

Yeah, Simon Pegg has had a major hand in writing it. I was so hyped until this news nugget about why he was writing it.

http://screenrant.com/star-trek-3-beyond-script-orci-simon-pegg/

“They had a script for ‘Star Trek’ that wasn’t really working for them. I think the studio was worried that it might have been a little bit too ‘Star Trek’-y.

I'm very skeptical. Will have to wait and see but my hopes aren't up

Yeah, Simon Pegg has had a major hand in writing it. I was so hyped until this news nugget about why he was writing it.

http://screenrant.com/star-trek-3-beyond-script-orci-simon-pegg/

I'm very skeptical. Will have to wait and see but my hopes aren't up

What's wrong with Simon Pegg writing? He's a better choice than a lot of other people and he definitely loves the source material.

I liked Nu Trek. I enjoyed Into Darkness (cheesy riffs on Wrath of Khan and all), not as much as 2009, but I still enjoyed it. This though...

Yeah, it's pretty much exactly what I was expecting when it was announced who's directing. Star Trek: Beyond Driftopia :p

I'm not really a fan of Star Trek but I will say one thing... Voyager was awful!

God I hated Janeway!

Voyager was always my favourite, followed by TNG. Janeway made it for me, along with Seven's arc from drone to human. Voyager is a well loved series, it just always seems the people who didn't like it can't help but mention it all the time. They're like the vegans of the Trek world.

I'm not really a fan of Star Trek but I will say one thing... Voyager was awful!

God I hated Janeway!

kVIgNUh.gif

God I hated Janeway!

tumblr_m92k380MOC1qd6v0do1_500.gif

giphy.gif

God I hated Janeway!

I know you're pain, but i loved Janeway she was a bad ass

Voyager was always my favourite, followed by TNG. Janeway made it for me, along with Seven's arc from drone to human. Voyager is a well loved series, it just always seems the people who didn't like it can't help but mention it all the time. They're like the vegans of the Trek world.

Those were good arc's but species 8472 and the whole end series with the borg and future janeway were whole jumping the shark moments for me

as for the last bit! surely its the Enterprise haters that are the vegans, Voyager haters are more like the wierd vegetarians that still eat fish but like to tell you about why

I'm off to FCD 2016 and will be meeting Garret Wang, should i tell him how much i hated Voyager? :heh: I'll wait till were a few drinks down i think

The finale of Voyager is one of the worst episodes of Star Trek, but I love the series as a whole.

I liked the last episode, very fitting for Janeway's character. She got them home originally, but at what cost? She couldn't live with losing that many of her family. And I like Mulgrew's explanation; she wanted the captain to go down with the ship, "but live to tell the tale."

A lot of people say Voyager weakened the Borg but I just think Janeway was just that good.

And with regards to Enterprise.. generally I've found no one talks about it at all. It got better as it went on and should've gone on longer.

A lot of people say Voyager weakened the Borg but I just think Janeway was just that good.

It was good for them to get knocked down a peg. They couldn't simply stay the strongest power forevere just because they could adapt all the time. Having something else come along to blow them out of the water leading to a temporary alliance (Species 8472) was a nice touch. Giving me a nice feeling of Conflict Freespace: The Great War, which I've just completed (after technically 20 years). The ability to level the playing field made all the more sense being in a world full of new races and technology. It was the only Star Trek series which - to me - had an actual point, the first series and Next Generation was "look around and fap", Enterprise was "learn to look about and fap", Deep Space Nine was "Sit there whilst people pop over to fap"*, Voyager was "Look around, fap whilst getting your family home."

*Very vague and probably incorrect assumptions, I've barely (if at all) watched them, except for the first series of Next Generation which I owned but Wil Wheaton put me right off watching any more.

I'd have liked to see some of the homecomings in the Voyager finale. See everyone reuinte, see how they get on a year down the line etc. rather than end it with "It'll all be in my report". I'd have been fine with the episode if they made it a two parter and had the last part just be finally being home and what it means for them all. It was like all this buildup and then nothing.

Edited by Serebii