NEurope

Yeah, Luckily I didn't seem to mind it I don't think.

You've gotta push past the Triforce Quest at least just once (even if you use a guide or someting to try and do it quicker), just so you can experience the very end of the game! Can't believe you're yet to see it!!

I've seen the end, think I may have used an Action Replay or something just to get to the end, or maybe I saw you do it...?

Either way I've seen that sword go through Gannondorf's skull :heh:

ganon27sdefeat.png

WIN! :D

Another scene I adore in the game is when you step into Hyrule Castle and see the HoT statue. I hated it when you went back in and the bad guys had trashed it. :(

Hero-of-Time.png

376px-Hero_of_Time_Statue.png

How awesome was walking into that eerie black and white frozen in time Hyrule castle? Genius.

376px-Hero_of_Time_Statue.png
I think I got a bit confused by that picture of Zelda and what would be 'her servants?' on the wall of the castle.

So is it meant to be a portrait of the previous Zelda... and the servants are the ancestors of the pirates?

And maybe I'm forgetting, but where has Tetra actually come from?... is she actually part of the royal family?... is tKoRL's her father?... or is she simply just a pirate who was born with the Triforce of Wisdom?

And what of the pirates... how do they all not know about Hyrule being underwater from their families?

Edited by Retro_Link

Tetra is just the descendant of the royal family, which makes her the current Princess Zelda. KotR is the same King from back then, so not her father, only her long-lost ancestor.

It is implied her crew are the descendants of those servants in the painting, though we never get confirmation about that (or even if they know about Tetra's lineage)

I always thought that the story mentioned in the beginning of Wind Waker would make for an awesome setting Zelda game - it could start off as normal (with some character anomalies like Link hesitating a few times), and once you get past the first few temples and reach the Master Sword only to find out that you aren't the true hero (i.e. the sword rejects you). From then on it's Plan B: Awakening Gods, getting people to the hills then an epic battle against Gannondorf in which the main goal is to rip open the skies to flood the entire land.

I think it would make a nice change, too.

I always thought that the story mentioned in the beginning of Wind Waker would make for an awesome setting Zelda game - it could start off as normal (with some character anomalies like Link hesitating a few times), and once you get past the first few temples and reach the Master Sword only to find out that you aren't the true hero (i.e. the sword rejects you). From then on it's Plan B: Awakening Gods, getting people to the hills then an epic battle against Gannondorf in which the main goal is to rip open the skies to flood the entire land.

I think it would make a nice change, too.

I'm not sure Nintendo would have the balls to make a flawed Link, but the concept sounds like a good break from the norm. I think the Zelda franchise badly needs another 'Majora's Mask' type of game in terms of tone, storytelling and different execution. Certainly bringing back the creativity and magic of Wind Waker wouldn't go amiss either.

Of course Skyward Sword could be that game...?

Wake me more than warm air so many years, I was afraid of repeating myself. However, it is still the best game I played....

Is it just me or does this game still have some of the finest controls of any 3D game ever released? Simply moving Link around is a joy.

I even enjoyed controls for sailing.

It was the changing from sail to a cannon etc then back that could be a pain IIRC.

I love how the first two posters in this thread claim it to be their worse/best Zelda game in the series. Perhaps that's a good example of how it divides opinion even to this day.

(As usual, Grazza steams in straight after this and sums up my feelings entirely with a single brilliant post).

Remember the stunned reactions of people when the Cel-shaded style was first revealed? There was disappointment from fans wanting a more realistic tone, but I thought 'Yes! THIS is why I love Nintendo. They're not always thinking 'Let's give the fans what they expect and hope we get massive sales'. They sometimes stop and challenge themselves, saying 'What if we did this or that for a change and see what happens?''

I know Zelda has had cartoony roots in the past, but can you imagine such a change of art direction happening for other notable game series? Kudos to Nintendo for not only having the balls to do that, but also for making it play and control like a dream.

Just watched that trailer in the OP again. I still think Link looks ridiculous and that smile makes me cringe (in a good way!)

But the animations, lighting, architecture, day/night cycle, weather system, etc all come together in a way that makes me angry that Nintendo hasn't used that engine for Mario, or better yet, Metroid

Just watched that trailer in the OP again. I still think Link looks ridiculous and that smile makes me cringe (in a good way!)

But the animations, lighting, architecture, day/night cycle, weather system, etc all come together in a way that makes me angry that Nintendo hasn't used that engine for Mario, or better yet, Metroid

Amen brother. Personally, I'm not a fan of Wind Waker but aesthetically speaking, it's one of the greatest ever. Even today I feel that it holds its own against even some of the HD crowd.

It upset me more that the greatest fight in the game was the second last boss, Ganon Puppet, after that I was so hyped up to see what was in stores for the last boss since most Zelda games bosses just continue to get better and better as you continue into it. Only to have...a sword fight...(I also didn't give much care for TP last fight either Possessed Zelda and the horse back riding against Ganondorf were better than the sword fight >_>)

Sword fights are a fitting conclusion, 1 on 1, no gimmicks. It worked well for both WW and TP I think, especially given the whole Master Sword storyline

I personally wasn't a fan of puppet Ganon, well the first form atleast. I though it was a lame concept and probably my least favourite thing about the game. Also the camera didn't work great there and even if your boomerang was locked on to a wire, it wouldn't always connect.

Liked climbing that room though and the fight that followed.com

Edited by Retro_Link

Swordfights are awesome for a final battle as long as there is a good chunk of drama involved, which brings a fitting end to the story. Which is why it worked perfectly for Wind Waker, but badly for Twilight Princess (where Ganondorf was much more underdeveloped as a proper character, so no drama, no high stakes with that battle)

I mean, it's like in FFVII, where the "cutscene" fight was more of a final boss than Safer Sephiroth, who appeared out of the blue.

Also, the final battle in WW wasn't exactly "no gimmicks", Zelda was there to help.

I personally wasn't a fan of puppet Ganon, well the first form atleast. I though it was a lame concept and probably my least favourite thing about the game. Also the camera didn't work great there and even if your boomerang was locked on to a wire, it wouldn't always connect.

Liked climbing that room though and the fight that followed.com

Its been a while since I last played WW, but I think I agree with all the above.com

:wink:

Swordfights are awesome for a final battle as long as there is a good chunk of drama involved, which brings a fitting end to the story. Which is why it worked perfectly for Wind Waker, but badly for Twilight Princess (where Ganondorf was much more underdeveloped as a proper character, so no drama, no high stakes with that battle)

Sorry, I can't bring myself to hate on TP :heh: but you are right about dramatic sword fights being a great way to end a Zelda game. Delivering the final blow in WW will live forever in all our memories.

Its been a while since I last played WW, but I think I agree with all the above.com
haha, I've just checked this thread again, noticed that and thought WFT!

Then I realised I must have posted it from the Wii and it's stupid predictive text must have finished the sentence off! :p

They really need to make another game using this graphical style, don't they? Get rid of the sailing for endless amounts of time and the triforce quest, make larger village islands (and more of them) and bring in some epicness (a la becoming 7 years older) and they'd be onto a winner.

They really need to make another game using this graphical style, don't they? Get rid of the sailing for endless amounts of time and the triforce quest, make larger village islands (and more of them) and bring in some epicness (a la becoming 7 years older) and they'd be onto a winner.

Yeah definitely, in a higher resolution and with a bit more horsepower behind it, a game with the same graphical style as WW would be amazing. I'm not completely convinced with the way Skyward Sword looks like a cross between WW and TP yet (although I'm sure it'll look nice). I kinda wish they were making SS with the WW engine...

I just wanted to let my fellow N-Europers know that a friend of mine has sold his GameCube and bought a PS3, but he saved Windwaker and Mario Power Tennis for me :D

This means Fused King has got his favourite Zelda title back!

REJOICE :D