NEurope

66445thelegendofzeldath.jpg

Following Skyward Sword I've been looking over a few trailers for previous Zelda's.

Watching this trailer, it just makes you smile when Link smiles! :D

It's such a beautifully vibrant game! So full of charm, it's wonderful!

Anyone playing through it at the moment/planning to give it a playthrough before Skyward Sword?

I've only played through the game once, I think I've repeated the final boss fight a few times just to see the ending again, but I'd really like to give it another playthrough some time in the future, as I look back on it fondly now.

So many great moments in the game! I could post them all now, but hoping some of you will share your thoughts.

Edited by Retro_Link

I'll just repeat what I said in the Twilight Princess thread

I played through Wind Waker last week it's no where near as great as I remember. I love the first half of the game, but as soon as Tetra is revealed to be Zelda everything just turns into a chore IMO. You have no idea what you are suppose to be doing.

You have to randomly decide to warp to Mother and Child Island to get the Fire/Ice arrows.

Then somehow make the connection as to who the sages are (I had to look it up in my first playthrough) and then drag their asses around with you through 2 annoying dungeons.

Then there is the boring Triforce chart/piece hunt. Even finding the charts was annoying. How are you suppose to know where to find the Ghost Ship chart? Again, your best bet is to randomly stumble upon it.

Ganons Castle was great, though

Easily my least favourite of the 3D games.

The first Zelda I ever played on its original console and bought in a store + the first 3D Zelda I played.

And boy did I play it!

Finished it three times just to get all the photographs and figurines:D

One of my favourite Legend of Zelda games, and definitely my favourite 3D Zelda.

I've enthused so much about Wind Waker over the years, I fear repeating myself. However, it is still the best game I've ever played.

One thing I'll mention is the graphics, particularly the shading, as I think they're misunderstood. Many games that are cartoony (including the DS Zeldas) get called "cel-shaded", but look at the shading in WW - it's magnificent. That video you posted, for instance - look at how Link's hat has the solid area of shading underneath. This is true cel-shading at work - literally when cels of shading wash over the picture. I've never seen this bettered in a full game, although the cutscenes in Punch-Out Wii give an idea of what might be possible one day.

Another reason I say they're misunderstood is because people often say cel-shaded graphics are a way to make a game look impressive on a weak system. Well, the GameCube was not weak - it was a powerhouse - and that's why Wind Waker looked so good.

The other thing I'll mention is the sense of exploration. The game begins on Outset Island, giving you an urge to discover what might be out there. Many games start on an island, only to leave it via cutscenes, but in Wind Waker, that is the playable game world. Not an illusion, but the actual game world! Sailing between islands not only fitted beautifully within the game's "wind" theme, but also gave you a sense of journey.

Above all, Wind Waker feels like an artistic vision made real. May there one day be a Zelda that exceeds it.

I hope they remake this for 3DS, and I mean properly remake. So that they replace the Triforce fetch quest with something more organic. And they put the ripped out third dungeon back in.

The one thing I love about this game, that I don't think many people mention the notes that sound when you strike an enemy. Is it just me, or can I hear it again in the new Skyward Sword trailer

Tied with OoT for my favourite Zelda. It's just so fluid, relaxing, immersive, beautiful (visually and musically), charming, extensive, adventurous, detailed, creative and just excellent all around.

I don't mind the missing "Water Dungeon", considering the dungeons aren't the reason I love this game in the first place. I don't mind the Triforce quest, because it encourages you to take a "world tour", something I always do when replaying the game.

as soon as Tetra is revealed to be Zelda everything just turns into a chore IMO. You have no idea what you are suppose to be doing.

That's mainly because you haven't been paying attention:

You have to randomly decide to warp to Mother and Child Island to get the Fire/Ice arrows.

You fed the man-fishes? Because the one on the Earth temple will direct you to the lava island, and the manfish there will, in turn direct you to the Mother-and-Child isles (and the man-fish there will even tell you how to enter the crater). The same thing happens with the Wind Temple.

Then somehow make the connection as to who the sages are (I had to look it up in my first playthrough) and then drag their asses around with you through 2 annoying dungeons.

You didn't notice Laruto/Fado saying "look at my harp/violin, find the person with this"? And even if you didn't, there are only 4 towns where to look...

(Also, I disagree on the annoying dungeon part. Best dungeons in the game, for me. Especially the Wind Temple.)

Then there is the boring Triforce chart/piece hunt. Even finding the charts was annoying. How are you suppose to know where to find the Ghost Ship chart? Again, your best bet is to randomly stumble upon it.

I'll give you the point about the ghost's ship chart. It is unnecessarily hard to find it, and the game never tells you you actually need it to enter the ghost ship (I continuously failed to enter it, before looking up what I was missing)

That said, I don't think there's anything boring about the Triforce quest. Don't see what's so different about it, other than maybe being a bit long.

A masterpiece in almost every way. Impossible to understand how people don't like this gem of a game. Tied at the top for my favourite Zelda (with OOT and MM). The two removed dungeons are gutting however, as to me it would have been gaming perfection had they been included. Too many fantastic moments to go into, but what others have said above about covers it :)

Actually, one random part I adored... floating with the Deku Leaf. The visual effect, the sound it makes, the way you had to control the wind to help you along, the sound of your magic metre (remember what that is Nintendo?) going down every few seconds as you line up your target platform, hoping you have enough to make it. Fantastic implementation, sums up the genius creativity that went into the game, a game that not only feels alive and magical but a proper adventure that you're living and breathing. F-ing awesome, and I've not even mentioned the outstanding soundtrack.

A masterpiece in almost every way. Impossible to understand how people don't like this gem of a game.

They still do, just ain't as great, you know, just like how people like me think TP is fantastic and don't understand people not liking the gem which then you explain the flaws. Just like TP, WW also has that many flaws in it.

Still a fantastic game, although sadly I bought it more for the limited Master Quest edition of OOT then WW itself, only to find out that WW, just like every Zelda ever created is pure gaming sex.

This is my favorite 3D Zelda.

When the first teaser trailer was released ( the one that everyone moaned about), i was awestruck by the Moblin animations and instantly glad Nintendo chose that art style.

Much like the original Zelda, the graphics are timeless and the game controls like butter. Having said that, im ready for ''Cel-da'' to go HD. Get with the program Nintendo

I sincerely hope the next Zelda goes back to full celshaded Wind Waker goodness, and HD, good shout Pit.

Also, it needs to have as many sticks and buttons as the GameCube, or it'll never control as well again.

They still do, just ain't as great, you know, just like how people like me think TP is fantastic and don't understand people not liking the gem which then you explain the flaws.

Get over it zzzzz. I'm talking about the people who don't like the game at all.

Favourite Zelda and the only one i've finished. It's such a great looking game with likeable characters and a superb soundtrack. It also had great replayablity with the figurine collecting sidequest.

Also, I must be one of the only people who actually enjoyed the triforce sidequest. Sailing and exploring all of those different islands, great fun.

Favourite Zelda and the only one i've finished. It's such a great looking game with likeable characters and a superb soundtrack. It also had great replayablity with the figurine collecting sidequest.

Also, I must be one of the only people who actually enjoyed the triforce sidequest. Sailing and exploring all of those different islands, great fun.

Yeah I really enjoyed it too, the only problem I had was how much effort it took to collect enough rupees for Tingle to decode the maps. Also making the ghost ship a mini-dungeon wouldn't have been a bad thing.

I didn't like the graphical style of Wind Waker when i first saw the demo trailer, but it did grow on me and for the game the graphics suit it.

I'll just repeat what I said in the Twilight Princess thread

I played through Wind Waker last week it's no where near as great as I remember. I love the first half of the game, but as soon as Tetra is revealed to be Zelda everything just turns into a chore IMO. You have no idea what you are suppose to be doing.

Ganons Castle was great, though

Easily my least favourite of the 3D games.

I do agree in a lot of ways to be honest. I always start windwalker and replay and never get all the way through such. The beginning of the game is amazing and a joy to play but loses its way a little.

It's one of those games I remember more fondly NOW but I never really enjoyed it all that much when I left it. I never completed it. Got pissed off with the ghost ship part.

This was my first 3D Zelda game and the main reason I got a GameCube.

My brother and I had to get by with only an NES until Christmas 1996, when we finally got our first computer, and I was solely a PC gamer after that. When we eventually got an internet connection in summer 2001 (probably the last people in the country to get one...) I rekindled my love for Nintendo games after discovering SNES emulators.

This gave me the idea to see what Nintendo was up to at the time, and I came across the launch trailer for The Wind Waker, among other things. And that's why I wished for a GameCube for Christmas 2002 (and then we got an Xbox, but that's a different story...). To date, this is the only game where I've actually counted down the days until it was released.

So yeah, awesome game. :smile:

Also, it needs to have as many sticks and buttons as the GameCube, or it'll never control as well again.

I agree, needs like 10 sticks now, after Nintendo ditched 2 they must pay with giving us so many sticks or else I am going to send them an email and tell them I am not going to buy the next Zelda game. They will beg for my forgiveness.

Despite it's seafaring theme, I realised the other day, actually how little of Links gameplay actually takes place within water!

Admittedly the Water Temple was perhaps cut from the game, but despite Wind Waker taking place on the ocean... not once do you experience any gameplay within water itself. There's no underwater boss or even enemies, no swimming beneath the waves, no iron boots!! etc...

This isn't some criticism (well other than it being a missed opportunity), simply an observation. It's a bit strange really, that even outside of the Water Temple, no water based action was included.

Despite it's seafaring theme, I realised the other day, actually how little of Links gameplay actually takes place within water!

Admittedly the Water Temple was perhaps cut from the game, but despite Wind Waker taking place on the ocean... not once do you experience any gameplay within water itself. There's no underwater boss or even enemies, no swimming beneath the waves, no iron boots!! etc...

This isn't some criticism (well other than it being a missed opportunity), simply an observation. It's a bit strange really, that even outside of the Water Temple, no water based action was included.

Good thinking that, does seem strange but yes the cut 'water temple' was no doubt what they'd planned to have as the water gameplay. And connecting the dots even further, they probably also planned to have an equivalent third dungeon after the Earth and Wind ones, possibly Ice?

within water itself. There's no underwater boss or even enemies, no swimming beneath the waves, no iron boots!! etc...

Huh? WW did have Iron Boots, just not for walking under water.

Huh? WW did have Iron Boots, just not for walking under water.
Well yeah ok (I obviously meant for taking you underwater)... but that almost makes it all the stranger.

This game was amazing... until about half way through when it unfortunately turned into a chore to play.

I've probably started it about 4 times but not once have I got past the triforce hunt, despite being ridiculously charming etc there is just not enough to hold my interest and I've never been able to bring myself to complete it. If it was remade with the missing dungeons, etc included then it'd probably be right up there along side Ocarina, sadly as it is it's my least favourite 3D Zelda game.

:sad:

This game was amazing... until about half way through when it unfortunately turned into a chore to play.

I've probably started it about 4 times but not once have I got past the triforce hunt, despite being ridiculously charming etc there is just not enough to hold my interest and I've never been able to bring myself to complete it. If it was remade with the missing dungeons, etc included then it'd probably be right up there along side Ocarina, sadly as it is it's my least favourite 3D Zelda game.

:sad:

Yeah, Luckily I didn't seem to mind it I don't think.

You've gotta push past the Triforce Quest at least just once (even if you use a guide or someting to try and do it quicker), just so you can experience the very end of the game! Can't believe you're yet to see it!!