NEurope
McPhee

PC Gaming Discussion

With so many big PC releases coming up over the next few months i figured it needs it's own thread. So discuss away! [/tired enthusiasm]

EDIT: Now includes gaming hardware discussion

Cool. Until around a year and a half ago I wasn't a big PC gamer. Now I'm in a very active and skilled CSS clan. I tend to find most of my PC Gamer time spliced between playing source and a MMORPG. Current MMO is LOTRO, but I may stop playing it because most of my friends have stopped.

Keeping my eye open for Crysis. But generally PC purchases are few and far between.

Getting Bioshock tomorrow, I've played at a friend's house and its an awesome game. On the near future list is Crysis, and Assassin's Creed, can't wait for either of them!

When i get my new pc in about the next month, i'm picking up stranglehold (saves money from getting the 360 version)

TF2 beta = all kinds of awesome.

World in Conflict is apparently fantastic, Gamespot gave it a 9.5.

I've been playing Medieval 2 on my bros PC. Kicks Rome in the teeth (though I am still playing it on my own system.) You could spend days on either and think only a few minutes have passed.

Med 2 Total War requires fairly high PC specs right? I mean, you have to have an Athlon 64 or P4 with HT or it just doesn't run, due to the lack of SSE3 (or is that 4?)

Anyway, is anyone else picking up the orange box? We could have a mini NE team... and be awesome.

Anyway, is anyone else picking up the orange box? We could have a mini NE team... and be awesome.

I've pre-ordered the Orange Box through Steam, and I'm enjoying TF2 a hell of a lot! £26 for the new games alone seems like highway robbery. I might be up for joining a team, I call Heavy/Soldier! ^^

Med 2 Total War requires fairly high PC specs right? I mean, you have to have an Athlon 64 or P4 with HT or it just doesn't run, due to the lack of SSE3 (or is that 4?)

Yah, you'll need a decent processor for some of the bigger battles, which can involve anything up to several thousand troops running around. These will occur only occasionally in the main campaign though. As a point of refrence, my bros PC has basic a Core Duo and can just about shift 5000+ troops around at a very jerky but still just playable rate.

Anyway, as for the orange box, is it the only way to go if you already have HL2 and Ep1 anyway? I do want everything else in there though.

Basically, with the orange box. Its only £26 over Steam.

For the mean time thats all you can buy, Oct 10th will be HL2 EP2's release and you can buy whatever you want then. However, if you already own HL2 and EP1 you can give them to another user for free as a gift when you purchase the orange box (on Oct 10th you can give them as gifts).

When i get my new pc in about the next month, i'm picking up stranglehold (saves money from getting the 360 version)

You could save even more buy not buying a shit game.

Left 4 Dead excites me muchly.

You could save even more buy not buying a shit game.

Left 4 Dead excites me muchly.

I have to admit, when I first heard about/saw Strangehold, I was interested. The 360 demo made me think meh tbh. I'll still buy it at some point, but only when the price has dropped. Though I might get the 360 version over the PC version, methinks a 15gb install takes the piss a bit. I dread to think how much hard drive space Unreal Tournament 3 is going to take up (although UT3 looks superb!)

Oh, and Left 4 Dead looks quite great too! :grin:

Wait, stranglehold is 15gb? I'll have a 250gb HDD by then but still hell with that.

360 Version come lower price it is.

Yup, Stranglehold is a bit of a hard drive hog. I only have a 120GB har drive though (and it isn't even S-ATA!) Anyways, here's all of Stranglehold's minimum specs:

# OS: Windows XP SP2 / Vista

# CPU: Dual Core Processor

# RAM: 2 GB RAM

# Video: Nvidia 7800 or higher / ATI x1300 or higher

# Disk space: 15 GB

Ouch :/

Yikes, thats quite insane.

So whats everyones most wanted PC game till the end of the year?

Quake Wars?

Orange Box?

Crysis?

Something else?

I just realised i'm buying 3 FPS within the space of 3 months and thats only on the PC...

UT3

Call Of Duty 4 (prob buy it on 360 though)

Quake Wars

Orange Box (only really interested in TF2)

Crysis

In that order.

The CoD4 beta handily expires on the same day as ET: Quake Wars is released :D

http://www.play.com/Games/PC/4-/3360129/Enemy-Territory-Quake-Wars/Product.html

Was trying to decide between this, World In Conflict, Halo 3 and that TF2 beta thingy. At £18 my decision has just been made for me

HL2: Episode 2

UT3

Portal

Crysis

In that order.

Crysis was in the number 1 spot for a while, but I've heard a few negative views on it. Apparently, it has trouble running on high detail in DX9 mode, even on high-spec machines.

And I would put TF2 on my list, but the beta's already out, so the wait is over for that tbh. :heh: Plus HL2: Episode 2 is number one because I'm a huge HL fan.

Has anybody played the demo of Quake Wars? I was pretty nonplussed by it, it reminded me of a slower version of Onslaught in 2k4.

Has anybody played the demo of Quake Wars? I was pretty nonplussed by it, it reminded me of a slower version of Onslaught in 2k4.

Apparently that demo level is awful in comparison to some of the levels out. To me it felt more like a mixture of assualt and onslaught... but with missions for each class.