NEurope
Ashley

NEShow Special Episode 2 - Zelda | Zelda | Zelda

Great first vid definitely.. One thing though (and it is tiny :P) at the start of the vid (0:16) you seemed too low.. when your name came up on the screen it made me think a tiny bit of monsters inc when Mike is covered by the Monsters inc logo :P

at later points it was better, say 7:12 for example (I think you were further back).

As I said it is just a tiny thing, it's probably only me :P

**edit** this is what I mean:

1s6aqDJ.png

Aside from that it was a strong start, I look forward to seeing it develop. Also thumbs up on the news article... It gives enough info to satisfy while leaving enough out to make watching the video worth while - I've seen other sites that do a similar thing that don't strike that balance so well.

Presenting style is surprisingly good, sounds more like a few episodes in :)

Edited by Pestneb

I thought it was a great first video. You've definitely got presence @Kaepora_Gaebora!

My only minor criticism was that it felt as though the delivery was aimed at a slightly younger audience than what N-E consists of. It felt like you came across slightly as a children's TV presenter... with the exception of a couple quips.

Of course you want to appeal to as broad an audience as possible though.

But nevertheless, as I said, it was very well done guys!

Edited by Kav

While we're criticising, there was no mention of me at all. Could do better on that front.

Great vid. Nice to see. Framing was well off though, I see why you did it to highlight the posters, but it doesn't work; he should be bang in the middle, main, the wall visuals either side. Tiny quibble.

I will say already it is INFINITELY better than the awful nintendolife videos; far better and more likeable presenter too!

Can't wait to see more. Hopefully the competitions will bring life into games - thought about online tournaments? Smash/Luis mansion 2 etc? Mario Maker speed run comps? I'm sure you have.

My only minor criticism was that it felt as though the delivery was aimed at a slightly younger audience than what N-E consists of. It felt like you came across slightly as a children's TV presenter... with the exception of a couple quips.

This is how I felt about it and didn't want to bring up it in case people thought I was just being a downer. I felt certain sections/gags felt too forced and fake. It reminded me of one of NintendoLife presenters who is just far too enthusiastic and comes off as cringe worthy.

It may just be a preference thing. I'm not really a fan of a single person talking into a camera and much prefer a few people discussing the topic at hand. That way people bounce off one another and the funny moments tend to be more real.

Still, great first effort. : peace:

This is how I felt about it and didn't want to bring up it in case people thought I was just being a downer. I felt certain sections/gags felt too forced and fake. It reminded me of one of NintendoLife presenters who is just far too enthusiastic and comes off as cringe worthy.

It may just be a preference thing. I'm not really a fan of a single person talking into a camera and much prefer a few people discussing the topic at hand. That way people bounce off one another and the funny moments tend to be more real.

Still, great first effort. : peace:

I think there's a logistical issue of getting two people in the same room together.. added to that there is a chemistry thing, if the chemistry isn't there it just won't work so well. But I think with just one guy talking there has to be that enthusiasm in a way to avoid the delivery being too dry.

But I agree, having one or two others on screen would complement things, and would maybe allow the enthusiasm to be toned down a little bit without making the video feel to dry and dull.

having a few others with maybe slightly different viewpoints could help with what Kav said about widening the appeal to a larger audience... But it is about chemistry and for a one man show it was ok.. personally it got close to the line at a few points, but it is a pilot really, and they tend to be weaker than the more mature video's - I would definitely agree with the earlier comment that this is far better than the Nintendo life video's (or at least the ones I started watching.. I avoid video articles on that site now!!)

I remember from voice chat I can think of a couple of guys I played splatoon with last year I think would do well as co presenters - I won't suggest names but there is the potential there if people are interested - Maybe you could ask a few people , do auditions and see if the chemistry is there...?

It would also be useful to have a couple of co-presenters to cover unforeseen circumstances etc.

You're not wrong of course, and I personally agree, but the logistics of this is a little difficult. It's not like the N-E staff are sharing an office. Could certainly go that way in the future though :)

You guys already know how impressed I am with the quality of the video having followed the process since its inception :hehe: It's excellent, especially for the first ever episode : peace:

Feedback is, of course, appreciated and it will all be evaluated and taken into consideration :smile: There are already plenty of ideas and techniques swirling around and we look forward to delivering those in future but, for now, great job guys :grin:

Maybe get two or three presenters and have them do a segment each? Break it up a bit and allow different styles?

Maybe get two or three presenters and have them do a segment each? Break it up a bit and allow different styles?

@Josh64 is keen to do a Shirtless Sega segment.

I think there's a logistical issue of getting two people in the same room together.. added to that there is a chemistry thing, if the chemistry isn't there it just won't work so well. But I think with just one guy talking there has to be that enthusiasm in a way to avoid the delivery being too dry.

But I agree, having one or two others on screen would complement things, and would maybe allow the enthusiasm to be toned down a little bit without making the video feel to dry and dull.

You're not wrong of course, and I personally agree, but the logistics of this is a little difficult. It's not like the N-E staff are sharing an office. Could certainly go that way in the future though :)

Yeah, I appreciate that its not feasible to gather people in the same room, which is why I think a podcast is more fitting than a YouTube video. Getting people together to just talk for an hour or so via laptops is obviously easier than getting them in the same room. Saying that, I suppose you could have a 3 way video. ::shrug:

The topic of chemistry is an interesting one. Yeah, there can be a natural chemistry between people but a lot of the time its just built up over a number of conversations. Once people have a sense of familiarity around a person then things start being more natural. This happens with any podcast/show. The early episodes of RFN are far different to the ones that air now. Everyone is comfortable around each other and the banter flows more fluidly.

Guys, firstly thank you for feedback! All (constructive of course :p) is very welcome and I and I'm sure all of us will take as much on board as possible :)

In terms of the framing, yep 100% agree with that and that was purely my and a race against times fault! But will be something that's addressed going forward.

Regarding me, well if you don't like me what can I say? ;) no I do appreciate what you're all saying, although I must admit I never felt I had veered into kids tv territory with it, although a bright orange jumper and green watch didn't help so much...!

However it's a difficult line to straddle, as I obviously want something existing members will enjoy, but also would like other people to come and join in here as well! (I'm speaking for myself here by the way, other members of staff may have different opinions!) so I guess we will be trying to find a good balance for the future, but in terms of my enthusiasm, well that's just me, I appreciate many not like my sense of humour but hopefully it won't be an obstacle to enjoying the show :)

And finally if you think this is it, think again! ;) hopefully this can be a tent pole with which we can do many other things in many other mediums with, and we can expand N-Europe and cater for as many as possible :)

You could do with some better mic/lighting if you plan to do any of your own videos though :p

I'll have to see about adding some OTT flashy effects to make his screen look cool next time ;)

thought about online tournaments? Smash/Luis mansion 2 etc? Mario Maker speed run comps? I'm sure you have.

Someone clearly hasn't watched all the way to the end of my Smash Bros Highlights Video yet ;)

Edited by Dcubed

Regarding me, well if you don't like me what can I say? ;) no I do appreciate what you're all saying, although I must admit I never felt I had veered into kids tv territory with it, although a bright orange jumper and green watch didn't help so much...!

However it's a difficult line to straddle, as I obviously want something existing members will enjoy, but also would like other people to come and join in here as well! (I'm speaking for myself here by the way, other members of staff may have different opinions!) so I guess we will be trying to find a good balance for the future, but in terms of my enthusiasm, well that's just me, I appreciate many not like my sense of humour but hopefully it won't be an obstacle to enjoying the show :)

I think being on your own you hit about the right spot - some people may have preferred more enthusiasm, some less, but as you say, it is a difficult line to straddle. I think most of the issues are just because this is very new, as much as anything else I think once the show becomes more established both sides will get more comfortable. The main thing is it doesn't scream of "me too", it has it's own distinct feel and doesn't feel like it's trying to copy someone else's format.

And sorry if it was mentioned earlier, but how regularly is a new episode going to be put out?

Roughly aiming for once every two weeks is the working plan at the moment, although special ones will pop up; for example we've been in high alert that a Direct would drop this week and we'd put out a reaction video to that. (Sadly, it seems like it may actually just be a god awful week on eshop...)

Something else worth mentioning is that because it was our first episode, it went on a lot longer than normal. Depending on interviews and such, I reckon about half the time or so should be more than enough if its that regular! :)

Cool.. just a question, in regards to the mario kart league, those will just be updates then, the weeks without NES will not have video updates, or only the highlight video's will be published? (sorry if I'm asking too many questions - all will become clear in time I know!)

Cool.. just a question, in regards to the mario kart league, those will just be updates then, the weeks without NES will not have video updates, or only the highlight video's will be published? (sorry if I'm asking too many questions - all will become clear in time I know!)

We're aiming for the NE League Highlight videos to be weekly, as quickly after each Thursday night as possible. All depends on whether or not @RedShell can keep up the pace though of course, the guy does have a life to live after all! (We also have last week's one still to get finished and uploaded as well, hopefully we can get that done before Thursday and then we'll be up to date! : peace: )

Roughly aiming for once every two weeks is the working plan at the moment, although special ones will pop up; for example we've been in high alert that a Direct would drop this week and we'd put out a reaction video to that. (Sadly, it seems like it may actually just be a god awful week on eshop...)

Something else worth mentioning is that because it was our first episode, it went on a lot longer than normal. Depending on interviews and such, I reckon about half the time or so should be more than enough if its that regular! :)

Yeah I was going to suggest hitting 10 minute mark would be ideal I think, additional videos for gaming highlights (which can be referenced) and such would kibe better, and also encourage people subscribing, if there were a few videos on there rather than just the one. Even the competition or whatever, news reactions, short clips filling things out. I know some people may find it annoying having loads of little videos, depends nohow you consume it all I suppose. I know GameXplain follow a similar pattern, works well there.

Usually I can't stand watching YouTube videos from gaming communities (I think I'm just too old for it!) but the NES was really enjoyable and easy to watch. Well done to everyone involved!

Wow, that was pretty great, excellent initiative! :grin: Fantastic work, Kaepora Gaebora, RedShell, DCubed, Serebii, and whoever else I'm forgetting :)

I will say already it is INFINITELY better than the awful nintendolife videos; far better and more likeable presenter too!

To be fair I like the NL videos. Both of the presenters, NL and NE, are enthusiastic which, in my opinion, is really important as we are talking about games, but I do think that "our" :D, presenter was funnier :D.