NEurope
Will

Formula 1 2016

So the teams are starting to announce their cars and testing begins next week, time for the 2016 Formula 1 thread I think. First a little info:

22nd-25th February - Circuit de Catalunya, Barcelona

1st-4th March - Circuit de Catalunya, Barcelona

3rd February - Renault _88075692_renauly.jpg

18th February - Red Bull

CbzIcn5W8AEY4_L.jpg:large

19th February - Williams

1455868344.jpg

19th February - Ferrari

1455888970.jpg

21st February - Mercedes

1456042165.jpg

21st February - McLaren

1456043583.jpg

21st February - Haas

1456063538.jpg

22nd February - Manor

1456133180.jpg

22nd February - Toro Rosso

1456129459.jpg

22nd February - Force India

1456126821.jpg

22nd February - Sauber

tweet-701706765906354176-2.jpg

March 20th - Australia

April 3rd - Bahrain

April 17th - China

May 1st - Russia

May 15th - Spain

May 29th - Monaco

June 12th - Canada

June 19th - European (Azerbaijan)

July 3rd - Austria

July 10th - Britain

July 24th - Hungary

July 31st - Germany

August 28th - Belgium

September 4th - Italy

September 18th - Singapore

October 2nd - Malaysia

October 9th - Japan

October 23rd - United States*

October 30th - Mexico

November 13th - Brazil

November 27th - Abu Dhabi

Channel 4 Live races in blue

*subject to confirmation

Mercedes

44 - Lewis Hamilton

6 - Nico Rosberg

Ferrari

5 - Sebastian Vettel

7 - Kimi Raikkonen

Williams - Mercedes

19 - Felipe Massa

77 - Valtteri Bottas

Red Bull - Tag Heuer

3 - Daniel Ricciardo

26 - Daniil Kvyat

Force India - Mecedes

11 - Sergio Perez

27 - Nico Hulkenberg

Renault

20 - Kevin Magnussen

30 - Jolyon Palmer

Toro Rosso - Ferrari

33 - Max Verstappen

55 - Carlos Sainz Jr.

Sauber - Ferrari

9 - Marcus Ericsson

12 - Felipe Nasr

McLaren - Honda

14 - Fernando Alonso

22 - Jenson Button

Manor - Mercedes

94 - Pascal Wehrlein

88 - Rio Haryanto

Hass - Ferrari

8 - Romain Grosjean

21 - Esteban Gutierrez

I can`t see this season being anything other than another Mercedes double, but I really hope Nico can give Lewis a run for his money. I also really hope that the McLaren isn`t a complete piece of crap like last year, as I really miss Alonso being at the front.

Anyone planning on attending any races? I`m hoping that I can make it to Japan and Singapore if I can find a good deal.

Thoughts on the cars so far? I`m really liking the matte finish on the Red Bull, hopefully some other cool looking cars to make for at least an interesting look to the grid.

Here`s to hopefully a good season of racing!

Will try to keep the info above updated, let me know if I`ve missed anything!

Edited by will'

Great O.P!

2015 was really disappointing but I think 2016 may prove to be very exciting...

1. The pack will be closer. I expect Ferrari to close the gap to Mercedes which should give Seb and Kimi a chance at some big points, especially if they force the Merc's into taking a more defensive strategy. I also think we'll see Honda jump to the mid-pack early on, with Haas and Manor fighting Sauber throughout the year. Hope to see Force India do well :)

2. The new tyre strategies will be interesting. Hopefully we'll see more teams taking gambles, particularly those that have less to lose (Force India, Red Bull etc).

3. PASTOR HAS GONE.

Are RedBull still rocking the Renault engine? What with their disputes last year, I thought they'd move on.

I quite like the Ferrari, I think the white/red works really well. Then again I have a weird thing for white cars...

On the Red Bull thing... Yes it's a rebadged Renault engine. I didn't follow the whole story with that properly but from what I understand they tried their hardest to get anything but the Renault engine and everyone told them to get stuffed so they ended up going back to them with their tail between their legs.

I don't get the Red Bull engine thing either. They're using a Renault engine, but it's a Tag Heuer branded Renault engine... Tag Heuer are solely a watch maker... it's not like Infiniti of the last few years. Someone explain.

I'm remembering a long way back and I could be totally wrong but I think it's a way around sponsorship rules.

They can have a sponsor in the official name of the team but there are various monetary penalties involved. Alternatively they can name the engine after a sponsor and it doesn't count in quite the same way, but still achieves the goal of the sponsors name being shown in everything they do.

So what does everyone think after the first three races?

Glad the qualifying saga is behind us and we can (maybe) concentrate on the racing. We've had three cracking races so far and hopefully Sochi will serve up another good one.

Rosberg has been MEGA, while Hamilton has just been plain unlucky but will come back strong, I'm sure. I still think this will be a mightily close season, especially with Ferrari and even Red Bull not too far behind. Love how mixed up the midfield is this year, and the Haas story is one of the best we've had in years. Can see Kvyat being dumped in favour of Verstappen mid-season if he doesn't become more consistent (China was a good showing), which would really spice up the battles at the front.

Slightly off topic but has anyone been watching Formula E? Really been enjoying the series since its inception and like how it offers something completely different to F1 but still has good drivers and close racing. Next race is this weekend, give it a chance if you haven't yet, you might be pleasently surprised.

So what does everyone think after the first three races?

Glad the qualifying saga is behind us and we can (maybe) concentrate on the racing. We've had three cracking races so far and hopefully Sochi will serve up another good one.

Rosberg has been MEGA, while Hamilton has just been plain unlucky but will come back strong, I'm sure. I still think this will be a mightily close season, especially with Ferrari and even Red Bull not too far behind. Love how mixed up the midfield is this year, and the Haas story is one of the best we've had in years. Can see Kvyat being dumped in favour of Verstappen mid-season if he doesn't become more consistent (China was a good showing), which would really spice up the battles at the front.

Slightly off topic but has anyone been watching Formula E? Really been enjoying the series since its inception and like how it offers something completely different to F1 but still has good drivers and close racing. Next race is this weekend, give it a chance if you haven't yet, you might be pleasently surprised.

Man, Hamilton can't catch a break, can he?! Luckily his relaibility problems are happening in qualifying and not the race - he can still get big points today.

Have to admit I'm not a fan of this circuit. It just looks so bland and the amount of run off simply dilutes any excitement I get from watching cars go fast. Hopefully Bottas will get a good start today and take the lead into turn 2. That would certainly make it interesting!

As for Formula E...funnily enough, I work for them! It's a great little series and Paris was a mega event. Great city too :)@Retro_Link also does a great Formula E podcast that's worth checking out called the eRadio Show. Check it out!

Totally crazy, happy for Verstappen, a very solid performance. The Mercedes situation will certainly be interesting.

Best race for a while with the Mercedes taking each other out!

Amazing drive from Verstappen, although I did feel like they were making it out a bit like he'd never raced an F1 car before when he's been doing it for over a season! But still, crazy achievement. Winning a Grand Prix at the age of 18!

Fortunate that he was on the winning strategy rather than the 3-stopper that they put Ricciardo on, but still, so pleased for him!

Best race for a while with the Mercedes taking each other out!

Amazing drive from Verstappen, although I did feel like they were making it out a bit like he'd never raced an F1 car before when he's been doing it for over a season! But still, crazy achievement. Winning a Grand Prix at the age of 18!

Fortunate that he was on the winning strategy rather than the 3-stopper that they put Ricciardo on, but still, so pleased for him!

Ricciardo looked so gutted :( The two stopper was on a proper knife edge - I was utterly convinced that they wouldn't make it to the end. When I saw Ricciardo with the puncture I assumed it was Max!!!

Doesn't bode well for Ferrari in Monaco. I wouldn't be surprised if we had the same front 3 rows as we had here, with maybe even a Toro Rosso thrown in amongst the Ferrari's.

Not a bad race today, eh?

Delighted for Jenson and Pascal Wehrlein, and the crash was entirely Nico's fault IMO, lost his head completely.

Delighted for Jenson and Pascal Wehrlein, and the crash was entirely Nico's fault IMO, lost his head completely.

Not bad at all. Enjoyed it a lot. The three tire chose change seems to bring that little bit extra to the races.

Agree 100%, the replays show he just didn't turn into the corner.

Not bad at all. Enjoyed it a lot. The three tire chose change seems to bring that little bit extra to the races.

Agree 100%, the replays show he just didn't turn into the corner.

Hamilton on course for the win to close the gap to Rosberg and then boom goes his engine, the drivers title could be decided a few races before the last race and that would be highly disappointing.

23 point gap with 5 races to go, let's see what other twists may happen between Suzuka and Abu Dhabi.

Cripes, my heart went to my boots when that happened. No shock Lewis is upset, hell of race all round though.