NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Cube

Wireless Gaming Headset

As I mainly watch TV, films and play games with headphones, I'm looking at upgrading - especially as the wires on my current ones (Tritton AX 180) are falling apart and there's no replacement parts available in the UK. As they'll be in use a lot (at least a few hours a day) I don't mind spending a bit of money on them.

What I want is

- Surround sound.

- Able to connect to my TV. Preferably via the Optical Out, which I think is the best quality. I'm hoping that HDMI from PS3/360 to my TV, and then the optical out form that will be good quality.

- Wireless, no battery preference as I'm fine with standard rechargeable batteries.

- Needs to be compatible with both PS3 and 360.

At the moment I'm looking at Turtle Beach PX5 as it seems to have everything I want.

Can anyone recommend any others, or have anything good/bad to say about those?

Edited by Cube
Spelling error due to cat.

I'm hoping to pick up some PX5s later in the month, but as of yet I can't vouch for them. They're supposed to be good, though.

A slightly different solution I considered was buying some PX3s from Argos and twin them with an Ear Force DSS to add surround sound. It works out a bit cheaper and that headset has a built-in battery pack which I prefer to AAs.

Even though my headphones sounded great. I have just discovered that my TV's optical output is only for the Freeview/Apps on the TV itself. Any HDMI input gets put out as 2-channel.

I've just plugged the optical on my PS3 straight into the headset router thing and it sounds miles better still. Although it does look like I'm going to have to keep swapping the optical cable between the two consoles and TV.

I have seen a couple of suggestions: a optical splitter apparently works in reverse (sound would only be coming from one console at a time) and there is a 3-to-1 switch. Some reviews mention it degrades the signal..which I didn't think was an issue with optical/HDMI.

My PX5s arrived today. Naturally my experience with them isn't too extensive yet, but I'm finding the sound quality and separation very good, with no background hiss or other interference. They're comfortable, too.

I purchased my headset from DigiDeal via Amazon for just under £100. They're factory refurbished but the only clues were the rather no-frills packaging and that the base station and headset weren't paired out of the box, so that seems like a good way to save yourself £50.

Sign in to follow this