NEurope
Jamba

Why N-Europe?

I like the 'Other' board. It's small, but not small enough to not get a decent conversation going. Also, XBone vs PSFour is never an issue. That derails pretty much every discussion on other forums.

Would be nice to have a few more people. We use to have more. Dwarf and Rez don't post so much. But I talk to Rez outside the forum a lot so it ain't a problem.

I secretly/not so secretly want to hang out with Ashley and Daft but I fear my beard game is not strong enough.

Would you fucking come round to the flat already? (Yes, that's an invite.) We have boardgames that need playing.

I did try and convince him yesterday. Likewise I have done with Rummy in the past. As my nan would say; they're all talk, no trousers.

I did try and convince him yesterday. Likewise I have done with Rummy in the past. As my nan would say; they're all talk, no trousers.

I'm definitely coming, at some point in the near future, and I am almost all trousers.

I'm definitely coming, at some point in the near future, and I am almost all trousers.

Phew! I just assumed you'd have no trousers.

As for mixing with real life. I've had a couple of gaming weekend with @david\.dakota after meeting up at the Zelda concert. And I will never forget the unbelievable kindness and support of @nightwolf @Shorty (and his ex) @jayseven who came to see my show in Manchester. And they were all stupidly great in our way too brief chat afterwards.

The play was called Laminated wasn't it? I actually thoroughly enjoyed it. Oh and @Nami is not shorty's ex :P

I've not met anyone here that hasn't been wonderful. I'm sure people would say the same about me irl, but there's been a few rustled feathers with how I am these days (years) online - a grumbling, moaning, git.

I wasn't sure what to say about that myself, maybe Dazzy just assumed we couldn't possibly still be together all these years later? :p

I couldn't tell if he was talking about Nami or suggesting you and Jay broke up.

I know I knowww, I've had super busy months(news to possibly follow soon) and been working a lot that's made it tricky to do anything that isn't immediately local really - I've got friends complaining I haven't been to see them queued up too! I def do wanna one day though!

The play was called Laminated wasn't it? I actually thoroughly enjoyed it. Oh and @Nami is not shorty's ex :P

I've not met anyone here that hasn't been wonderful. I'm sure people would say the same about me irl, but there's been a few rustled feathers with how I am these days (years) online - a grumbling, moaning, git.

Obvs I'd vouch for what a top bloke you are, being the first N-European I met, and I always recount that encounter as an example of how cool my internet friends/N-Europe are when I'm telling my friends that don't 'get it' per se.

This is actually the only forum I've ever really actively participated in. To start with it was a bit to do with how easy to troll some of the members were, and just a place to vent the everyday frustrations of angsty teenagehood. After a while I just got to like the members. Had a lot of great discussions with DanDare, Jay, Ashley, Daft etc. I don't really post that much anymore just because I'm pretty busy with uni pressures and for some reason lately I've just been reading the forum a lot more than I've been contributing, which is kind of creepy I suppose :heh:.

I miss the days when I'd post more, partly because of the members and partly just because there's a nice organising effect writing your thoughts down and having other people participate in them has, which I've been missing recently just because I don't really post on forums anymore.

Well, it's a nice community, although a tad anglocentric (you bastards). For the most part, discussion is friendly and insightful, people actually respect each other etc. Plus, it's nice to meet people from all over Europe and even some other heathen countries.

Thus too bad Nintendo's situation is slowly but surely turning everyone insane here, me included. Still waiting for actual rival factions to form, with the culmination of "n-europe vs. europe of n"... #itsgonnahappen #justamatteroftime

As bard said, this was always a place where you could go off on tangents and not really need a tl;dr because you knew people would invest their time. I'm forever torn between posting and not posting. I would say in the last 12 months I've written out - then deleted - more posts than I've actually posted by, probably, five-fold. A large part of me thinks this is because you get to know each other so much that you actually know what the responses will be, so you just don't bother.

@Rummy several times we had some great man-to-man chats without any other n-ers and all wavelengths were set to ditto. I still maintain that if we lived in the same town we'd be bros! So come move to brighton :P#

This thread is making me emo. Again.

EDIT: I also wanted to say that another reason why this forum has been great is that we have had a fairly constant supply of great new members. As much as we all like to say the "good old days" have passed by (no matter when we joined!), the newbs that stick around have always been a joy and a pleasure to have 'on board', and I don't want to belittle their part in the boards. We could sit around and list all the 'greats' of the years gone by, but the fact is we would always forget someone who had a significant effect on the board, or someone who had a role to play for a long period of time. It is not an offence to those forgotten that we are unable to remember their name this time, and I should hope that any old frequenters who see this thread should understand that reconnecting is totally possible. The easiest and quickest example, for me, is the now @dr bob (maybe I missed a full stop there), who never used to post all THAT much back when he was first around, but has returned and slipped back into the groove without too much fuss and attention-garnering.

I tell you what, though; if there was a better app for me to read/post on work breaks then I would use that and totally do a BISH again (that finished) or a quiz, or something or other that contributed.

Yay long post. No more deleting messages.

I think the make or break element that caused me to stay well into my adulthood is the meets. If they'd gone horribly I think I would just have fucked off, so it's all your faults that I stick around. There's something different at stake when you're friends with people in real life, it makes you more reluctant to just abandon the mutual social space where you first met. I Still have very good memories of meeting Jay, Letty, Stefkov, Chuck and McPhee at King's Cross, and spending the rest of the day getting totally drunk while ambling around London. It was pretty adventurous for me as well, since I hadn't told anyone I know where I was going, so there was every chance it would end a disaster, but props to everyone involved, every year, for making it a whole lot of fun!

Why do I come to N-Europe.com?

I'm hoping that the Hot Stuff Thread will come back one day

Lot of reasons have already been given by others.

I like the people here, I like reading their thoughts/opinions/arguments/sexually charged love notes.

I really want to be at one of the N-E meets :( One day...

I wasn't sure what to say about that myself, maybe Dazzy just assumed we couldn't possibly still be together all these years later? :p

Haha, I'm really sorry. She doesn't post here any more and in my weird brain it was the only logical explanation :)

Just so you guys understand, the reason why I started this thread was because I can't actually answer this myself. Sometimes I feel part of this community and then at others I don't. The mafia boards are really fun and much kudos are required for all of the people that spill all of their free time into organising them as well as @Ashely, @Shorty and all of the staff that help keep this place running, especially as I know for a fact that many of them put in over 20 hours a week of hard work in on top of their full time jobs/studies but including the leisure time that they spend on the boards.

I've always struggled with the concept of these kind of forums anyway. We've got entire threads dedicated to things that I might mention during a passing conversation so both reading or typing anything that equates to just an opinion on a product feels almost a waste of time for me lately. If my friends in real life were interested in buying something then that may have an impact on what I buy then yeah I'd be interested in what they have to say. But without trying to be rude, I don't feel like I know people here and the ones that I have met in real life I know very little... I don't feel comfortable playing online with anyone that I know to that level and as a result have not enjoyed experimenting with playing MK7 league.

Now that's not to say that anyone else on here should feel the same, it's obvious that a lot of people relish this place and I genuinely think that it's a great forum but probably not for me anymore. I think being here has taught me a lot of things but mostly my motivation has been that this place has in the past been a great source for news. However the gaming media has proliferated and changed since I joined back in the cube-europe days, there are multiple sources of factual news now that hits sites within 6 hours of it being available and tends to come with relatively little bias.

I don't find Nintendo worth getting excited about at all and in reality haven't done since the early Wii days. Every E3 and direct has almost without fail not been worth spending my time watching as the company that it once was has clearly disappeared. It will be along time before I buy another console from a company that seems to almost outright lie through it's teeth about what it promises it's customers. My brain now responds with "prove it..." for every PR line that they have.

If anything this community has, indirectly and through no fault of it's own, helped me falsely raise hope and excitement about Nintendo products which has in turn influenced my decision making about my purchases. That's entirely on me though obviously.

So in short, I'll be spending a lot less time here. I don't really understand my relationship with this place and will definitely keep in touch with a handful of people via other means but yeah, don't let me stop you. I think this is a respectable haven in the gutter that constitutes a lot of the internet and it is well loved by it's constituents. I'm just not sure that I qualify as one of them.

Just so you guys understand, the reason why I started this thread was because I can't actually answer this myself. Sometimes I feel part of this community and then at others I don't. The mafia boards are really fun and much kudos are required for all of the people that spill all of their free time into organising them as well as @Ashely, @Shorty and all of the staff that help keep this place running, especially as I know for a fact that many of them put in over 20 hours a week of hard work in on top of their full time jobs/studies but including the leisure time that they spend on the boards.

I've always struggled with the concept of these kind of forums anyway. We've got entire threads dedicated to things that I might mention during a passing conversation so both reading or typing anything that equates to just an opinion on a product feels almost a waste of time for me lately. If my friends in real life were interested in buying something then that may have an impact on what I buy then yeah I'd be interested in what they have to say. But without trying to be rude, I don't feel like I know people here and the ones that I have met in real life I know very little... I don't feel comfortable playing online with anyone that I know to that level and as a result have not enjoyed experimenting with playing MK7 league.

Now that's not to say that anyone else on here should feel the same, it's obvious that a lot of people relish this place and I genuinely think that it's a great forum but probably not for me anymore. I think being here has taught me a lot of things but mostly my motivation has been that this place has in the past been a great source for news. However the gaming media has proliferated and changed since I joined back in the cube-europe days, there are multiple sources of factual news now that hits sites within 6 hours of it being available and tends to come with relatively little bias.

I don't find Nintendo worth getting excited about at all and in reality haven't done since the early Wii days. Every E3 and direct has almost without fail not been worth spending my time watching as the company that it once was has clearly disappeared. It will be along time before I buy another console from a company that seems to almost outright lie through it's teeth about what it promises it's customers. My brain now responds with "prove it..." for every PR line that they have.

If anything this community has, indirectly and through no fault of it's own, helped me falsely raise hope and excitement about Nintendo products which has in turn influenced my decision making about my purchases. That's entirely on me though obviously.

So in short, I'll be spending a lot less time here. I don't really understand my relationship with this place and will definitely keep in touch with a handful of people via other means but yeah, don't let me stop you. I think this is a respectable haven in the gutter that constitutes a lot of the internet and it is well loved by it's constituents. I'm just not sure that I qualify as one of them.

I guess in some ways that feels a bit of a shame - but it is how it is and I can definitely understand your points. Whether you feel you know us all that much, I'd say I definitely think you're awesome and I usually enjoy seeing your thoughts down on the gaming boards as well as elsewhere(though I noticed a long while back that you and bluey aren't as active as once were).

Anyhow - I think it's a shame you've come to feel like that and I'm sure you'll be genuinely missed and not just by myself. One good thing about this place is it seems that even if you do leave for a while(on good terms, at least), you'll always be welcomed back with open arms and familiar smiles, and that's just real darn nice.

I think it's natural to drift away -- many of us joined in our mid-teens and grew up here. My disenchantment with nintendo occurred with real-life coming of age stuff, so it wasn't a big deal. There can be a strong tie between contribution and sense of community. There will always be an active core of the community, yet there's going to be names and avatars that will always be remembered and recognised, even if they don't post for a year or two.

By-and-large I know people irl better than I know people on these boards, but that's not to say that I don't know the people on here. There are members I know I could chat shit with for hours on end, and members who i would struggle to coverse with, despite knowing what they ate last night, what they got for xmas and what their current relationship woes are.

@Jamba by the sheer fact that you had the first n-e wedding, whether you want to call it that or not, means you are forever embedded into the 'lore' of the forum :P

We've always suggested that people planning on leaving or going on hiatus ought to do so quietly, simply to save grace. Wanting to leave with a big bang is strange because it's leaving a thread for you to check to see how people resond, which will give you a false measure of the relationship others have with you. But I get what you're saying - times change, people grow. You shouldn't feel like you have to somehow apologise because the forum isn't right for you.

God speed, have a good real-life, and see you around :)

Thanks @Rummy and @jayseven , your comments are much appreciated.

I pretty much well agree with you jay about dramatic leavings. I think my aim with this thread was to get some feedback on how people felt about this place and put my views into perspective with that. I hope that my post doesn't come across as queeny but more a "so long and thanks for all the fish".

I wish I'd done a dramatic leaving post when I left the first time, but i just kind of petered out instead.

Maybe i'll do one when I leave the second time.

I wish I'd done a dramatic leaving post when I left the first time, but i just kind of petered out instead.

Maybe i'll do one when I leave the second time.

There's still time bob. Why stick around, when you could leave today!

im just kidding please dont leave me like the others always do ;'(

I'm sorry you feel this way @Jamba but I think it's cool that you did this. It's not like you've just drifted and buggered off but you've actually said goodbye, I just hope it isn't forever!

Not to hijack the goodbye from Jamba but whatever happened to Slaggis, Chairdriver, Triforce_Keeper and Coolness Bears?! I've seen Paj post here and there but not the other four...

Would you fucking come round to the flat already? (Yes, that's an invite.) We have boardgames that need playing.

Just saw this - I will - it's been too long - aaaaaaa I need to find a time. :bouncy:

Just saw this - I will - it's been too long - aaaaaaa I need to find a time. :bouncy:

South West train to Vauxhall, tube or bus to Brixton. BOOM!

South West train to Vauxhall, tube or bus to Brixton. BOOM!

Ok ok ok yes. :bouncy: What should we do? Do I forsee alcohol/what/food/whatwhosaidthat?

Alcohol for the two of us, food all around and (board) games?