NEurope
Cube

Star Fox Zero

No. There is a 2 player co-op mode only, but that is more for people who cannot manage the controls, such as young uns.

I'm pretty surprised that mode of Battlefront is enjoyable.

It's mostly enjoyable because of the Star Wars aspect. If it were random spaceships and locations I wouldn't have touched it again after 10 minutes.

It's mostly enjoyable because of the Star Wars aspect. If it were random spaceships and locations I wouldn't have touched it again after 10 minutes.

You probably wouldn't have bought it in the first place.

Edited by Hero-of-Time

There's only one fari way to compare Star Fox Zero with previous entries...

;)

Play all the videos of each home console entry simultaneously! :D

You might want to skip ahead some of the videos to the flying sections...

In fairness, the original game makes everything else look slower.

Each game has its plus points and weaknesses I'm sure Star Fox Zero will be no different in that respect.

: peace:

To be fair I don't think many people would :)

From that video, how quick is Star Wing :)

Assault is the slowest of the lot though!!

There's only one fari way to compare Star Fox Zero with previous entries...

;)

Play all the videos of each home console entry simultaneously! :D

You might want to skip ahead some of the videos to the flying sections...

In fairness, the original game makes everything else look slower.

Each game has its plus points and weaknesses I'm sure Star Fox Zero will be no different in that respect.

: peace:

That's really put the "This game looks like a N64 game" complaints to hell :p

Battlefront sells because it is Star Wars, I don't think anyone would have bought it had that franchise not been attached.

As for Star Fox Zero, I don't think it looks like it is going to fulfil its potential, but it's certainly not as bad as some people are trying to make out.

They should have just made a sequel to Lylat Wars and made it as eye popping and frantic as they could - after all it is on rails, there's no excuses for it not looking stunning.

Battlefront sells because it is Star Wars, I don't think anyone would have bought it had that franchise not been attached.

No doubt.

The point I was making is that he wouldn't have dropped it in 10 mins because he wouldn't have had it in the first place.

While many hold Lylat Wars as the king, the original game is still the best, for me.

Assault is the slowest of the lot though!!

But then Assault has by far the largest groups of enemies, pretty backdrops and things happening on-screen.

That Star Wing speed!

Don't know if this was ever posted (3 months old), but man that initial footage was just so crazy bland, they really shouldn't have shown it as I think it's left a lasting impression with everyone. There are just no enemies on-screen or effects!

Starfox Retrospective

content-4-34648-starfox%20team.png

With Starfox Zero set to launch next month, we do a barrel roll through the exhilarating highs and disappointing lows of the series.

What does that say about Battlefront's gameplay? It's hardly encouraging. Nintendo have mostly steered well clear of that style over substance type of game. For the record I'm not saying Battlefront's gameplay is lousy, just that it's basically just another shooter we've seen a hundred times.

What does that say about Battlefront's gameplay? It's hardly encouraging. Nintendo have mostly steered well clear of that style over substance type of game. For the record I'm not saying Battlefront's gameplay is lousy, just that it's basically just another shooter we've seen a hundred times.

Well yeah, it's a shooter set in the Star Wars universe. The Star Wars part would always be the big selling point.

There may be "hundreds of shooters" out there but by no means does that mean you have to buy them all, or any.

And people warned you against buying Battlefront as it's main focus is online multiplayer, which you admitted wasn't really your favourite area of gaming.

Fighter Squadron is only one mode out of many in Battlefront which is primarily an FPS/3rd person shooter. But it's still a mode Star Fox, an on-the-rails shooter is lacking. That's pretty bad.

About Battlefront: Of course the game wouldn't be the same without the Star Wars licence. That's the whole fucking point of it. I bought the game to shoot the shit out of tie-fighters and to run around a battlefield as Darth Vader. It's the same with everything else out there. Oh, The Walking Dead wouldn't as great without the zombies...of course it wouldn't, because it wouldn't be the thing that you love right now. It doesn't excuse that many of us still think that Star Fox looks like dogshit even with the Star Fox licence. I really hope that Nintendo turn it around because I've been waiting for a great Star Fox game for far too long now.

Has this really not got a multiplayer of any kind then? I don't mean co-op, I mean actual multiplayer. I want to be able to go online and shoot the crap out of Pigma Dengar and the rest of Star Wolf.

...but it just looks like 64 with HD graphics and more alternate paths/vehicles etc. It looks and seems to play exactly like traditional Starfox.

And more dumbed down with less focus on what made it good in first place...

As for saying vanguard and Red Alarm looks more fun, that's just being sensationalist surely.

Ultimately the hands on are positive about how it plays; I'd rather listen to them than people who say silly things like it looks like a 20 year old game. It doesn't look great, I'm worried about it; but people need to actually play games 20 years old.

Not being sensationalist at all. I've played both of those games and watched videos of Starfox Zero and also watched someone play it over their shoulder at an expo when the booth was quiet. I'm genuinely shocked by the lack of original thought that has gone into this game on all levels.

And I'm not saying it looks like a 20 year old game. I'm saying that Nintendo have done almost nothing to move the series on in 20 years. The gameplay is almost EXACTLY the same. This was fun and absolutely mindblowing on the SNES but it's like the team developing it was afraid to stray away from the game engine from Lylat Wars.

Take the jump of Zelda into 3D. Nintendo took what made the game great in experience terms and re-envisioned that for a 3D world. The adventure, exploration and danger.

Can you say that Nintendo have ever been brave enough to do that with Starfox? This series needs its Metroid Prime moment.

Can you say that Nintendo have ever been brave enough to do that with Starfox? This series needs its Metroid Prime moment.

Who's to say this won't be it, just not as drastic.

Metroid Prime got so much ire and hate when it was revealed, since it was different (reminds me of the Federation Force backlash actually), but turned out to be great

Metroid Prime got so much ire and hate when it was revealed, since it was different (reminds me of the Federation Force backlash actually), but turned out to be great

"not as drastic" suggests it then won't be.

And there's a key difference being that FF is pants to play :heh:

"not as drastic" suggests it then won't be.

And there's a key difference being that FF is pants to play :heh:

Really? All the hands on impressions I've heard is the Federation Force is actually quite fun?

Do you have links to this ire and hate? There must be loads given how you said it "got so much"... I can't actually recall much hate at all.

Really? All the hands on impressions I've heard is the Federation Force is actually quite fun?

Did you watch the gamexplain trailer for the game - they are usually massively positive for any game that they play in preview mode - and they were struggling to find good things to say about it. They were more positive Stare Fox Zero for comparison.

As for Red Alarm, I haven't played it, but I have got a Virtual Boy and I think I would take almost any game on a normal console over a Virtual Boy game, that the average person can only play for 15 minutes without some kind of discomfort.

Edit: I don't remember hate as such for Metroid Prime, but I do recall a lot of people wondering if it would be successful in 3D. I was more magazines, rather than the Internet at the time though.

Edited by peterl0

Do you have links to this ire and hate? There must be loads given how you said it "got so much"... I can't actually recall much hate at all.

Haven't got time to find a link but I'll back Serebii up on this, I remember a huge backlash when Prime was announced.

In fact, I think Shiggsy was the instigator of it haha! After that demo of it he tore them to pieces about it if memory serves, something to do with the style they went for (going for first and third person at the same time?)

Could be wrong on that part, but it definetly wasn't received very well!

A series getting early backlash for taking a bold new direction?

That's easy to believe. People are scared of change. I can imagine some Super Metroid diehards being utterly horrified when Prime got revealed.

I remember a bit but I don't recall much. It wasn't anywhere near like the Wind Waker backlash from what I remember.

Anyhoo, back to Starfox... it just doesn't look fun enough. It should be fast-paced, twitchy, with constant action. Gamepad aiming isn't suited to this type of game, it loses the essence of what makes it Starfox!

Edited by Kav