NEurope
Hero-of-Time

Donkey Kong Country Series

250px-DK_Country_2.jpg

With this just being released on the VC I thought I would make a topic for it as it is an awesome game with plenty of replay value. Also I might aswell make it before Darksnowman does :heh:

I seem to remember me thinking that this was the hardest of the DKC games when I played it on the SNES, guess I will find out soon enough.

Aye, its the hardest, you're right there.

Class graphics - a further leap on from DKC I. Levels like Barrel Bayoux, Squawks Shaft, Bramble Scramble, Lost World... the Hornet Levels with the honey dripping down the screen, it was all unseen until 1995.

The games chock full of collectibles and unlockables - DK Koins and Krem Koins for finishing top of the podium (ahead of Sonic) and getting to the Lost World... I could go on about this for a good while!

dkc2.gif

The negative points are that there are a distinct lack of Snow Levels - DKC I had Gorilla Glacier and DKC III had K3. This middle game went for a darker approach, though is still a classic. However, Rare didnt let us down on the aural front as Diddy's Kongquest was a veritable feast for the ears, Gangplank Galley, Rattle Battle, and Haunted Hall spring to mind... and lets not forget either rocking out with Dixie or getting the funk brought by Diddy at the end of the levels.

dkc2dkq_2.gif Plus, young Dixie was a fairly decent replacement for Candy Kong. :wink:

P.S. Download it asap! :hehe:

Im making good progress on this, just finished the 3rd world while getting all of the secret Koins and Bonus Stages that each level has to offer.

I was laughing at myself before as I found myself doing the same thing as I did when playing this all those years ago. To this day I still swap Diddy for Dixie at the end of the level just to hear her guitar solo :)

it's the best game of the 3. greatest music especially the map screen very catchy.

Downloaded this last night having never played it originally despite loving the first one.

Have only gone through the first and part of the second world and am loving it , although it seems as tough as hell. Time to brush up my platforming skills methinks.

yes it is really tough. gameplay wise which is rare these days i usually only find games tough if i haven't a clue where to go next. hotel dusk was hard for instance

All 3 of the DKC games are gems and alot of the newer platform games would do well to take a look at these and see how its done.

I have to say though that I think the 3rd one is the best.

Don't think I ever owned this on my SNES, must of owned the simillar Donkey Kong Land 2 on GB. I don't understand why people are calling it tough tho! Find it easy myself, plus they are too generous with lifes... Graphics are fantastic, bonus games are fun and the guitar solo rocks!

I owe this game a thrashing, as its the only one of the three I never managed to complete.:cry: Bloody difficult.

Im on the last world now and just like the original DKC I remember this being a hell of alot harder. Still, its an awesome game that everyone should buy.

Also, while playing this game after all those years ago I now fully appreciate the music in this game. Back when I was a kid playing these games I never took much notice of the music but now I do and as such I need to find the soundtracks for these games ASAP.

The title screen music is pretty cool. I take back what I said about this game being quite easy. Finally done that lava level where you have to travel accross it with the baloons. So difficult. Havent screamed at my TV in a while!

Yes, the soundtrack really is greatness - but the thing is, all three of the DKCs deliver on music! Speaking of difficulty though, the original is the only one I havent completed totally - on DKC II I got through it and completed it 102%, then with DKC III I got it done 103% before doing it 105%... but on the first one I've only got like 98, 99 or maybe 100%. Maybe I need to download it rather than Diddy Kongs Quest??

I thought DKC II was deadly back in the day difficulty-wise... and I dont think I could breeze through it, even now. Those bramble levels, some of the hornet ones... Web Woods, Animal Antics etc took their fair share of lives from me!

Well, it was awesome while it lasted. Just finished it with 102%, some of the lost world stages took some doing mind.

Whoa, Hero-of-Time, did you complete that in 24 hours? Or was it 48?

Overall I think it took me six or eight hours when I was a babby, I cant remember which. How long did you clock up?! :bowdown:

Took just a little over 5 hours on the game clock and 48 hours just on and off playing.

Bring on DKC3!!!

Haha, you'll blitz through Dixie Kongs Doube Trouble in about four hours then. Thats great going with DKC II, maybe I'll download it and have it completed by dawn... heh, just getting to Rattle Battle and falling asleep listening to the jazzy music would be nice...!

Does this one also play like poop on a GC pad, because I'm never gonna get a 'classic' controller so if I can't play decently with a GC pad, I'm not playing at all!

Does this one also play like poop on a GC pad, because I'm never gonna get a 'classic' controller so if I can't play decently with a GC pad, I'm not playing at all!

I have played both of the DCK games using the GC pad without any trouble, just have to adjust your style of play a little. But if your asking if it plays the same as the first one with a GC pad then yes, yes it does.

Sorry bud.

I thought DKC II was deadly back in the day difficulty-wise... and I dont think I could breeze through it, even now. Those bramble levels, some of the hornet ones... Web Woods, Animal Antics etc took their fair share of lives from me!

I think Id agree there, that Web Woods is probably the hardest level...always has problems.

So many reasons why this game is in my top...3 ish.

Ive never unlocked every Lost World level though...I just never get every bonus stage. :cry:

Whats with all the dkc hate lately, noy on these forums but i've been reading very annoying reviews saying it has unimaginative gameplay. What the hell it's ingenious i also don't like how miyamoto disliked it. maybe that's why we haven't see a new one in 10 years.

Here is one from Eurogamer:

Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest

Platform: SNES

Wii Points: 800

Never let it be said that the chaps at Rare were afraid of a little cliché. This sequel to The Game That Saved The SNES sets out its stall using one of the oldest plot contrivances in the business - the lead character from the first game (that would be Donkey Kong) has been kidnapped by the main villain of the piece (that would be K. Rool) and the task of rescuing them falls to characters previously relegated to supporting roles in the series (that would be Diddy Kong and his sister, Dixie). They must be guided through this quest by joypad-wielding human in the real world (that would be You).

So before you can say "brand extension" the family Kong are off on another barrel-throwing, rhino-riding, banana-grabbing adventure, with the requisite array of animalistic foes standing between them and DK Sr. Easily despatched with the traditional head bonk, advancement through the game's numerous stages and sub-levels becomes more a matter of timing than real exploration and as you can always return to the simple early stages to stock up on lives and bananas, nobody need feel intimidated by some of the later levels.

That's not to say that - as Miyamoto once grouched - the gameplay is mediocre. It's big, bouncy and a hell of a lot of fun. It's just...not terribly imaginative. The same could be said of the original Donkey Kong Country, that beneath the impressively animated graphics lay a slightly vanilla platforming experience, with all the expected genre tropes duly ticked off without ever breaking new ground. As this sequel merely serves up more of the same - and only a dedicated Donkey Kong nerd would claim that the thin spread of "new" features represent any real evolution of the series - it's not entirely clear why its been chosen over the vast number of more deserving SNES titles for another shot in the Virtual Console spotlight. Titles like the sorely underrated Unirally. Hint hint.

So it's rather a weird one to rate. As a game in its own right it's every bit as polished and funky as its predecessor, and undeniably fun to bounce through, while as a sequel it defers its lack of ambition using the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" defence. This is hard to argue against in this case, but unless you absolutely adore the Donkey Kong Country series and simply have to own every entry, there are certainly more interesting ways to spend your 800 points.

8/10

Ive never unlocked every Lost World level though...I just never get every bonus stage. :cry:

ReZourceman, I appreciate your honesty but this clearly removes any chance you thought you had at being the forums top DKC fan. :heh:

the task of rescuing them falls to characters previously relegated to supporting roles in the series (that would be Diddy Kong and his sister, Dixie).

What the - ? Sister? These guys are real pro's arent they; Dixie is Diddy's girlfriend.

And a weird review as well, they try and try to slate it for not somehow reinventing the series - when its more than an adequate sequel anyway - and in the end still give it 8/ 10 anyway. :confused:

I reckon why its been put on the VC is to provide people who have never played it before with a chance of getting it, cos its a classic, and also cos people who had it ten years ago can get it again for nostalgic value. Both reasons basically justify this and every other games availability on the VC, n'est-ce pas?

Pffft, that review is fucking bull shit. Its a UNIQUE 2D platformer!

Its almost got combo-istic qualities - that is you can use jumping about, and you bounce off of the enemies and then take a jump off a platform to another enemy etc...the sound and music flawless, characters adorable, well designs, level design is absolutely amazing.

What a fucking jib. IMO the best 2D platform series. It has a better feel of control than the Mario games.

Hold on a second, have I missed something? I don't recall seeing an opening movie, setting up the storyline for us.....How could I of had missed it? Started a new file, and I didn't get to see it there either....

You'd be right: there is no opening cutscene, welsh_gamer. You just start the first level and if you go into the cabin at the beginning of the ship theres a letter from Kaptain K. Rool telling you what the score is.

The score is ; Hes an evil bastish, and him and his cronies have been watching too much Pirates of the Carribean.