NEurope
ReZourceman

Man Makes Poor Decision - Dies Because Of It

HACKEMER.jpg

Iraq War amputee killed in fall from Darien Lake coaster

Victim fell 208 feet from top of Ride of Steel

By T.J. Pignataro and Lou Michel

An Iraq War veteran who lost both legs and a hip to a roadside bomb south of Baghdad in March 2008 fell to his death late Friday afternoon from the 208-foot Ride of Steel roller coaster at Darien Lake Theme Park Resort, the soldier's family confirmed.

James T. Hackemer, 29, a double amputee who spent three years of rehabilitation before his March 18 release from Walter Reed Army Medical Center, was visiting Darien Lake for the first time since he was injured, accompanied by his daughters, sisters and family.

"It's going to help a little bit that he was happy," Nancy Hackemer, the victim's mother, said late Friday from the family's Gowanda-area home. "We shouldn't have had him for these last three years and four months."

"After he was hit by the IED, he died once in the field and once on the operating table."

Mrs. Hackemer said her son, the youngest of six children that included two boys and four girls, was with his own daughters -- Addison, 3, and Kaelynn, 4 -- who live in Newport News, Va. James Hackemer and his daughters headed out earlier Friday to Darien Lake for the weekend with two of the veteran's sisters and their children, she said.

Mrs. Hackemer said she was unsure of the name of the ride her son was on but was told that he went onto the attraction with his nephew, Ashton, a sophomore at the University at Buffalo.

"He was assisted onto the ride," she said. "He was doing what he wanted to do."

Park officials said the incident occurred about 5:30 p.m.

"An adult male guest came out of the Ride of Steel roller coaster, and we are saddened to report that the guest has passed," the park said in a statement. "We are currently investigating the situation with our safety experts and local authorities."

Sources close to the park told The News that the victim was "thrown from the coaster" and "fell a great height."

"Our thoughts and prayers are with the friends and family of the guest," park officials said.

Hackemer's mother said family members are planning a "Celebration of Life" for her son. She said the family in recent weeks had returned from Walter Reed, where Hackemer got "a new set of legs."

Hackemer, despite his challenges, had a love of life and stayed active after returning home this spring following the three-year road to rehabilitation. He and a neighbor powered through a daily three-mile bicycle ride. Hackemer used hand pedals to propel his bike.

Hackemer told The News he was soaking up the joys of Western New York life in the days following his return home. There was pizza and chicken wings with friends, movies, days spent with Ashton at UB, the Sabres and Yankees on television and plans to hunt deer and turkey from a four-wheeler later this year.

"He was so happy to be home," Mrs. Hackemer said Friday.

Park officials said late Friday that the attraction and surrounding area remain closed pending an investigation by Genesee County sheriff's officials and theme park safety crews.

This isn't the first serious accident reported on the Ride of Steel that, when first launched as a $12 million improvement to the park in 1999, was billed as the tallest roller coaster east of the Mississippi. It has since been eclipsed by several others that have opened since 2000.

Shortly after its grand opening, Mike Dwaileebe, then 37, of Olean, fell out of his seat 10 feet to the ground as the ride was braking on its final approach near the station house.

Dwaileebe suffered multiple rib fractures and internal injuries in the May 16, 1999, accident. Six Flags, the operator of the park then, had argued that the injuries resulted because Dwaileebe -- who weighed more than 300 pounds Ô was too large for the seat's lap-restraint bar to engage. Park officials later added safety belts.

A Cattaraugus County jury, however, found the park fully liable and awarded a $4 million verdict to Dwaileebe following a six-week trial. The case, brought by Cellino & Barnes, eventually settled for $2.85 million, the law firm said.

DUDE WHO DIED;

HACKEMER.jpg

A LAP BAR

bigcoaster2.jpg

Once more in case you missed it.

DUDE WHO DIED;

HACKEMER.jpg

A LAP BAR

bigcoaster2.jpg

I have the upmost sympathy for his horrible death and his family, (and we don't know the full details yet, so don't know if the park/attendants were at fault at all obviously if he was wearing prosthetics and didn't tell anyone etc) but I can barely muster any sympathy for the actual guy himself. Tragedy that he saw war, stared death in the face...twice and then goes and falls out of a coaster. I mean......god. Moron....just....ugh.

I only read that news article because I couldn't figure out how someone could die from falling off a drink coaster.

So let me get this straight ... he, a man without a lap, went into a rollercoaster with a lap-restraint bar, and one that couldn't even close properly due to his size?

So let me get this straight ... he, a man without a lap, went into a rollercoaster with a lap-restraint bar, and one that couldn't even close properly due to his size?

The fat guy was a different person. This guy just didn't have a lap.

Ah, right, right. I only skimmed the article.

Still seems like a pretty stupid thing to do. How was he even allowed on the ride?

I can only imagine that it was either (as rez said) he had prosthetic legs, or that the workers were too worried about offending him to refuse him access to the ride.

It does say:

the family in recent weeks had returned from Walter Reed, where Hackemer got "a new set of legs."

I wasn't sure what this meant. the "" makes it look like a metaphor.

I can only imagine that it was either (as rez said) he had prosthetic legs, or that the workers were too worried about offending him to refuse him access to the ride.

It does say:

I wasn't sure what this meant. the "" makes it look like a metaphor.

It probably means prosthetics, and the "" are used to let the reader know that there is no such thing as buying a new pair of real legs.

Maybe he thought the prosthetics would be enough to keep him in place. I assume they'd be quite sturdy/firmly attached/maybe i'm being thick. Or maybe he thought as long as he had a firm grip of the bar (he looks strong) he'd be ok. Or maybe he just felt carefree for a moment, and just wanted to ride the rollercoaster like everyone else could.

Yeah it was kinda stupid i guess. But i just find this story quite sad, rather than annoying, like most of the "*person* does *retarded act* and dies" stories that are regularly in the news.

Poor guy, has had hard life, and horrible way to go. :sad:

Maybe he thought the prosthetics would be enough to keep him in place. I assume they'd be quite sturdy/firmly attached/maybe i'm being thick. Or maybe he thought as long as he had a firm grip of the bar (he looks strong) he'd be ok. Or maybe he just felt carefree for a moment, and just wanted to ride the rollercoaster like everyone else could.

Yeah it was kinda stupid i guess. But i just find this story quite sad, rather than annoying, like most of the "*person* does *retarded act* and dies" stories that are regularly in the news.

Poor guy, has had hard life, and horrible way to go. :sad:

Definitely, I don't think anyone fails to see the tragedy in this, but the whole scenario leaves a number of interesting questions unanswered.

I know it is a tragedy but the image of someone flying upwards out of a rollercoaster is funny :( But they do need to find out how this happened.

Yeah... didn't he have a set of new legs?

Anyway, the man made a poor decision in hindsight, the people working at the park made a critical mistake and it cost that man his life.

The blame will no doubt fall on the park, as I think it should.

Even with prosthetic legs, it was a bad decision to let him on the coaster. If he thought he would be ok, then thats the risk really. I feel sorry for his family and have sympathy for them, but over-all it was a bad decision to even go on a coaster.

To begin with, he didn't have a lap or a hip. If the prosthetics were held with velco, that probably would go at 70mph downwards.

If he had legs then how did he fall?

Because he had no muscles in those legs to keep himself into place. If that coaster is anything like one of the coasters I've been on with just a lap bar, then you do need your legs to keep yourself in your seat.

To begin with, he didn't have a lap or a hip. If the prosthetics were held with velco, that probably would go at 70mph downwards.

That coaster wouldn't go upside down (if that's what you meant). To go upside down you need a shoulder/torso restraint.

I've actually been in a coaster that goes upside down (just one loop, but you go through twice) with just a lap bar to keep you in place. Felt a bit scary at first, but I didn't feel like I was gonna drop out.

However I went on Steel Eel in Sea World San Antonio, which is a coaster with big drops and just a lap bar. In that one I felt more unsafe as I kept "flying up" from the seat. So it's probably one of those where the guy fell out off I think.

Actually, if the staff didn't know he had fake legs then it's not their fault.

They shouldn't have to check for that.

Getting on a rollercoaster with legs held on by velcro is stupendously stupid if that is indeed what happened.

It's utmost you cunt. I *could* care less about this, but I choose not to. Sort your life out.

It's utmost you cunt. I *could* care less about this, but I choose not to. Sort your life out.

Oh man I have the upmost respect for you now.

Rummy, I can't just be at a dictionaries beckon call all the time.

That coaster wouldn't go upside down (if that's what you meant). To go upside down you need a shoulder/torso restraint.

As Eenuh said, you don't need ("OTSR's") to go upside down.

---------------

Honestly, I'm surprised this thread has received so many replies. I didn't really think the story had any legs.

---------------

UPDATE, HE WASN'T WEARING PROSTHETICS APPARENTLY.

He wasn't wearing prosthetics = ride staff were morons. You can't get precious about hurting people's feelings if their lives are on the line. Yeeeesh.

Edited by ReZourceman

There are height restrictions and heart problem restrictions but no lap restrictions. Terrible.

There are height restrictions and heart problem restrictions but no lap restrictions. Terrible.

Without his legs he probably doesn't even reach the desired length anyway...

They all made mistakes, both the man himself and the people at the ride. They probably thought it would be fine as there's no loops or anything... But big drops really do lift you out of your seat, and the people at the ride should've known that. =/