NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Ashley

Close encounters with indie execs

This week, Gamasutra has run a series of features about the people in charge of each of the three hardware manufacturers' indie side of things.

It's mostly fluff pieces about each of them, their background, interests etc aimed at giving an insight into the people that help find and nourish indie content on each of their respective consoles.

On Wednesday they spoke to Playstation's Adam Boyes, on Thursday Xbox's Chris Charla and today was supposed to be Nintendo's Dan Adelman.

But Nintendo blocked it.

You can read the full story here and the author (Brandon Sheffield of Necrosoft) shares his thoughts on the matter. It's an interesting read, and an interesting situation in itself.

When I saw this on Wednesday I was intending to post all three as I thought it could be an interesting talking point, but I wasn't expecting the Nintendo thing to happen (as the discussion already seemed like a done deal), so I'm certainly not trying to "attack" Nintendo or anything, but I think the article brings up some good points about Nintendo's constant need for secrecy. Obviously it's good in some regards, but something like this...it just seems antiquated.

Reading the others you get a sense of who these people are, and in their role (dealing with a lot of indie developers), that's kind of important. And while people know and can talk about Dan Adelman, Nintendo don't seem to want to allow him to have a public voice.

Thanks for sharing this. Really interesting read and another useful insight into how Nintendo operate, for better or worse. Company really needs to get with the times in so many areas.

Sign in to follow this