NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
killthenet

Amiibo and DLC

Splatoon single player challenges say hi.

Criminally, i've never played 'Splatoon' so unfortunately I wasn't aware of that.

Gamexplain made some nice points about it, saying that perhaps completing the dungeon unlocks an item in 'Zelda Wii U' through the Amiibo, in a similar fashion to how 'Stop & Swop' was going to work in 'Banjo Tooie'.

It's a nice idea, but I can definitely see it annoying some people in the same way the new dungeon has. We already know there is going to be connectivity between the 2 versions, so what connectivity would be good for you guys? Would the Amiibo carrying over progress be akin to a paywall?

I'm not too bothered about this one personally as I would quite like the Wolf Link Amiibo but it is part of a worrying trend.

Nintendo and DLC started off so well on the Wii U - Mario Kart 8 and Hyrule Warriors' season passes were outstanding value.

But unfortunately, the Smash Bros. DLC is overpriced - all I have from that is Mewtwo which I got for free. If there was a season pass of it all for say, £20, I'd have snapped that up, but there isn't, so they're not getting an extra penny from me.

Splatoon I missed out on a whole chunk of the game because I didn't want to spend an extra £30. Sure, you get the toys for that money too, but it's just not good value.

And now the same is happening with Zelda supposedly. Not to the same scale as with Splatoon, but it's worrying.

I'm sorta fine with content locked behind toys in Disney Infinity because that's kinda the whole point of the series/gimmick, and I pick up the game/figures more cheaply than amiibo are, but when it is creeping into every Nintendo game, not just providing a bonus item/costume but locking away substantial content, it feels a bit shady. Sure, they need to do stuff to give the amiibo value, but it's achieving the right balance that's essential. More costumes/etc. and a Disney Infinity-like amiibo game, please! Then I might expand my collection beyond 2!

(This probably all should be thripped out, but I wanted to have my say too :p)

You pretty much said exactly what I was going to, @Mr\-Paul.

I'm a big collector of amiibo and I love the little bonuses they provide with various games. The hidden Toads in Captain Toad, new costumes in Mario Kart and weapons & rupees are all great additions for those who collect the toys. Things get a little dodgy when things like stages and dungeons start to get put behind the amiibo. As I said, I collect amiibo so these issues don't really effect me, but at the same time I'm not ignorant to the fact that many don't collect or like the figures and as such could miss out on substantial content.

I really think Nintendo need to get a proper Disney Infinity type game out that put the figures to good use. Many don't think the little extras are worth it and then you have many who don't agree with what they are doing in terms of locking content behind them. Nintendo have really got themselves in a pickle in terms of keeping people happy. They need to find a balance and fast. There was an outcry over Splatoon and it's happening again with Zelda. They really can't afford to annoy their customers.

If it doesn't brake the game for me, I don't really care if people with amiibos get something extra, I mean, you did pay for that.

We need full details because I can fully make an assertion.

However, Nintendo making content for amiibo is fine for me. This dungeon is very unlikely to have been in the game as it was, based on past remixes like Wind Waker.

In my eye, if the content was made specifically for amiibo, I'm fine with it.

Sure, they might have made it "specifically for amiibo" but why not make it just as an incentive to buy the HD remaster and let everyone play it?

I'm sure we've all over the years criticised other developers for on disc DLC, which you could argue was only developed in mind of it being an add-on, like this has only been developed for amiibo, and wouldn't have been made if they couldn't make extra revenue out of it. Again, I acknowledge you get the toy/figure out of it too, but for me that barely excuses the locked content/value proposition.

The fact it is there ready for launch feels really greedy and cynical, and we would all have thought Nintendo would be above this kind of practice, but they're obviously not. I kind of don't blame them if it's going to make them money, but it doesn't make me happy as a consumer.

We need full details because I can fully make an assertion.

This was quite a quote, Serebii :p

(This probably all should be thripped out, but I wanted to have my say too :p)

You and I saw others mentioned a thrip - just not sure exactly how to do it or what to call said new topic without creating something that's going to be argumentative bait. A lot of people seem to be tying it back to Zelda anyhow - and making a separate thread on speculation of something we really don't know about might be less beneficial?

Opinions welcomed on the thrip! I'll tidy up said posts and threads afterwards if necessary.

This was quite a quote, Serebii :p

You and I saw others mentioned a thrip - just not sure exactly how to do it or what to call said new topic without creating something that's going to be argumentative bait. A lot of people seem to be tying it back to Zelda anyhow - and making a separate thread on speculation of something we really don't know about might be less beneficial?

Opinions welcomed on the thrip! I'll tidy up said posts and threads afterwards if necessary.

You could just put it all in the Amiibo thread. Wii created a thread about amiibo grievances a while back, so it could go in there.

http://www.n-europe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=57365&highlight=Amiibo

You could just put it all in the Amiibo thread. Wii created a thread about amiibo grievances a while back, so it could go in there.

http://www.n-europe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=57365&highlight=Amiibo

Good thinking! I did consider the amiibo thread but I'm worried of it again just being taken aside by grievences over something we don't have solid yet(so lots of speculation) but the actual thread might be a good idea! I'm off to work and out for the day shortly, so I'll leave it open for opinion for another 24 hours then probs do some thripping, I think your suggestion of that thread will be a suitable balance. There will probably still be some natural duplication/redundancy between both threads but I can definitely see the amiibo/content issue being wanted as a greater discussion.

What really annoys me is the ethos of paying for DLC (or substantial DLC unlocked by amiibo) that is on the disc anyway or alternatively intentionally releasing half the game with the remainder to be released as DLC (i'm looking at you Star Wars Battlefront)

What really annoys me is the ethos of paying for DLC (or substantial DLC unlocked by amiibo) that is on the disc anyway or alternatively intentionally releasing half the game with the remainder to be released as DLC (i'm looking at you Star Wars Battlefront)

Quite a stark contrast between Splatoon and Battlefront. The former released half complete and was fleshed out with weekly free updates. Battlefront is charging you another 40 quid for content that should have been there at release.

Quite a stark contrast between Splatoon and Battlefront. The former released half complete and was fleshed out with weekly free updates. Battlefront is charging you another 40 quid for content that should have been there at release.

I didn't even raise Splatoon.

I was highlighting that in principle i'm against paid DLC that is already on the disk or half finished games. Some games are worse than others

I think Battlefront has enough content for launch, it has substantially more than Splatoon did and they've said they will release free DLC as well. And I will always prefer it as I'm not stuck playing the same two maps for hours.

I wouldn't care about amiibo is they would just let people pay for the content without the stupid figurine. Even if I had room for toys - which I don't, my shelves are full of books and blu-rays - I wouldn't want them. If the dungeon can be unlocked another way then fine.

5 maps in a 40 quid shooter is enough content? I hadn't heard about the free DLC, I'm not getting my hopes up, I suspect it'll be negligible compared to the 40 quid season pass

I guess the thing is about is it for amiibo, or are they locking it behind amiibo. This is a HD remaster, you're getting the full game, if there's some content behind amiibo, then to me that's extra content, so don't mind it's part of th emaiibo, I mean, they do need to create reasons to buy amino too and have amiibo as integrated as possible into their experience. It doesn't feel dirty to me yet. Splatoon was the closest to it, but the single player was meaty enough and the free updates can't be argued so even that seems fine.

It's weird, I think Disney infinity is far worse. The fact you need to buy another character just ti play two player, or that you buy the game, and then need to buy more playsets which are all on disk. I mean, I like Infinity too and just accept it, but I think it's worse than what nintendo are doing. Well I actually think amiibo is an absolutely fantastic thing in general though, but Splatoon and potentially this (we don't know anything about it) I can understand a little niggle.

Nicely summed up, I agree. I can't understand the Splatoon complaints though, the amiibo challenges were hardly anything to write home about. It was literally the exact same levels as the single player just using a different weapon. People who didn't buy the amiibo really aren't missing much.

Of course, Splatoon has had a wealth of free updates, which is great. But it doesn't discount that a large part (at least initially) was locked behind amiibo.

5 maps in a 40 quid shooter is enough content? I hadn't heard about the free DLC, I'm not getting my hopes up, I suspect it'll be negligible compared to the 40 quid season pass

It has got more than 5 maps. It has 5 planets - Tatooine, Hoth, Endor, Sullust and Jakku.

Never have I thought that Battlefront doesn't have enough content - sure I would've loved if it had a more substantial single player but there's plenty enough to do in multiplayer. It's held my attention more than Splatoon because you can play the mode/maps you want whenever you want.

I do think £40 is ridiculous for a season pass though.

I guess the thing is about is it for amiibo, or are they locking it behind amiibo. This is a HD remaster, you're getting the full game, if there's some content behind amiibo, then to me that's extra content, so don't mind it's part of th emaiibo, I mean, they do need to create reasons to buy amino too and have amiibo as integrated as possible into their experience. It doesn't feel dirty to me yet. Splatoon was the closest to it, but the single player was meaty enough and the free updates can't be argued so even that seems fine.

It's weird, I think Disney infinity is far worse. The fact you need to buy another character just ti play two player, or that you buy the game, and then need to buy more playsets which are all on disk. I mean, I like Infinity too and just accept it, but I think it's worse than what nintendo are doing. Well I actually think amiibo is an absolutely fantastic thing in general though, but Splatoon and potentially this (we don't know anything about it) I can understand a little niggle.

Well all of the Infinity playsets come with two characters, so there's no real problem there! I'm slightly uncomfortable with stuff being locked on that too, but think the difference is with Disney Infinity, you know what you're buying into - the point of the game is the toys. But what we're seeing here is it creeping into mainline Nintendo games, and content that in the past would've been included is being held back as an amiibo bonus/essentially DLC.

As you say, they need to create a reason for people to buy amiibo, and I don't think they've really done that enough yet, but that reason shouldn't be to unlock substantial stuff in unrelated games. Unlockable costumes/stuff like that are great and they should continue doing them, but there's not really enough of a reason for kids to want them, and an Infinity/Skylanders like game would be one. I have no evidence to back this up at all, but I'm convinced that most amiibo are bought by adult Nintendo fans.

Of course, Splatoon has had a wealth of free updates, which is great. But it doesn't discount that a large part (at least initially) was locked behind amiibo.

A large part? That simply isn't true. The amiibo challenges in Splatoon amounted to nothing.

The main complaint I've heard about Battlefront is how there isn't enough content to justify the price tag. I just think it sucks that they're remedying this with the season pass that'll set you back the price of the game, a second time, and I don't think it's too contentious to compare and contrast with Splatoon's policy of free updates since launch.

A large part? That simply isn't true. The amiibo challenges in Splatoon amounted to nothing.

You're right, it's not that substantial, but it costs you £30 if you want to play it, and the single player's replayability was reduced because of it - in the past challenges like this would be unlocked on completion, instead, they're unlocked if you give them some extra money in the form of buying a special edition and some extra toys.

And at launch, there wasn't much content in Splatoon - of course that has changed now, but at that point, it was a quite substantial amount of what was on offer.

I think there's more than enough current content for Battlefront. I do agree that the season pass price is too high, though. However, it's all relative. Some may argue that there's value for money there if you're going to get hundreds of hours of gameplay out of it all, which I no doubt surely will. It's a different argument though, more like videogames vs. other media. (one which I honestly believe videogames wins. Hands down)

Drive Club had the right idea for DLC. Definitely the best example for DLC that I've seen.

You had the original base game, which they sold for £35 for the digital version. That's a great deal to begin with. Then, there were free tracks given, including a whole new country in Japan. Then you had the free cars. There are also packs that you pay for in which you get certain cars and certain competitions to enter, therefore enlarging the single player. Now there's a whole new expansion which you can currently get for £7. Plus, there's reportedly new tracks for next year.

As with anything, you'll find good examples and bad examples. Arkham Knight had a season pass which was extortionate, so I didn't go for that.

in the past challenges like this would be unlocked on completion, instead, they're unlocked if you give them some extra money in the form of buying a special edition and some extra toys.

And in the past season passes that double the cost of a game didn't exist either. But publishers need to make money somehow given the cost of games haven't risen since well, ever.

Maybe you don't think Battlefront has enough content because you've, at your own admission, only really played the one mode?

There's 14 maps, spread across 10 modes. How many modes did Splatoon have at launch? How many does it have now? We have no idea how substantial the season pass DLC will be so I have no idea whether 40 quid is too expensive or not. What I do know is, whether I choose to buy the season pass or just the DLC I like, I won't have to buy a hunk of plastic to access it.

From Page 11...

I think a Thread-Rip is required here, starting with this page. : peace:

Does anyone else think this should be recreated into its own thread now? :heh: (We're now on Page 14)

We've gone from talking about Zelda to Star Wars... which couldn't be much further away from the topic. ::shrug:

I'm all for discussing dlc, season-passes and locked content but it gets to the point where it's just clogging up the original thread.

Sign in to follow this